• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reducing TOPs Pellet Size: TAG

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My TAG Merlin is currently on a diet of about 40% TOPs pellets... at least, 40% of what's offered. I only offer dry pellets in the evening before I turn his lights off, and he seems to enjoy crumbling them up and tossing the dust about. In the morning, if his bowl is clean, I'll sometimes collect said dust and freeze it for later use in birdie bread. This is also what happens with the dust in the bottom of the bag.

I'm wondering if their mini size would be appropriate, in an effort to reduce waste.

He eats fine chop readily and doesn't seem to prefer 'chunky' things, like some larger birds I've known, but will use his feet to manipulate food occasionally. Would he even notice the downgrade?

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Buy a small bag and try it out! See what he likes! Or maybe they have samples of the smaller size.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The ingredients are the same among all the sizes, so it definitely is worth a shot :)

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
My TAG preferred the smaller size pellets as well. I don't think it will totally get rid of your dust but may reduce it significantly. I love the fact that you reuse it in birdy bread...

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I love the fact that you reuse it in birdy bread...
It's really useful for that! All of the TOPs bread mixes (and the BirdTricks mixes- which are identical :cautious:) are just pellet dust with a few add-ins. You basically get free bread mix with every pellet order!

Merlin's really polite about putting most of it right back into the bowl, too.