• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

RED very sick??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey

Hit the Road
ok i'm freaking out here. i just got back home and red was calling out to me as usual. i go up to his cage and he's there all poofy. as soon as he saw me he jumped to the door as usual and i took him out.

he's just so poofy now, less active than usual, looks tired even if he still moves around and explores, and i noticed his droppings are BLACK.

aside from that, he's been a good boy. started eating his fruits and veggies normally since yesterday, and right now he smells of veggies heh.

so..... lead poisoning? ;\

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh no, shouldn't this be in the 911 forum? I don't have the answer, but is there a vet that could see him to test blood samples? Sending positive energy your way.:hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I wish I could help.... I found this link....
http://forums.avianavenue.com/healthy-highway/488-poopology-101-a.html

could it be diet? Do you have an Avian Vet nearby? I completely freak out when mine do anything unusual... my AV thinks I am a nut so I know I won't be much help to yu... but there are so many people here who will be able to give you good ideas of what might be wrong..... I hope he is just fine.....

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What and how much as he been eating? Anyone smoke near his age? Cooking smells in the air? Near a window? How long he has been like this? How does his breast feel? There are so many harmful things that could hurt him, we need to know more of his environment in order to help.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Black poop? Do you have any houseplants that he could have gotten into? Taking the poop and him to the vet is the safest thing to do....or call the vet and talk to him over the phone. Calls are free. Good luck. Hope hes OK.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Black poop indicates blood in the feces. Has he eaten any marrow, like in a chicken bone? That is the only time Truely's poo is black. If not he needs to get to the vets ASAP because something is not right. I wouldn't say it's lead poisoning but something wrong with his GI system.

Ginger

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to ask, did you quarantine your grey baby from your other birds? Ginger is correct. Black feces is usually due to blood. He needs to be kept warm. I know you have problems with lack of vet care for birds there. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I have to ask, did you quarantine your grey baby from your other birds? Ginger is correct. Black feces is usually due to blood. He needs to be kept warm. I know you have problems with lack of vet care for birds there. I hope he is feeling better soon.
It could be blood but it also could be from too much iron. Another to look at is food as we know it colors feces.

This is a call your vet type of change as you have other symptoms than just black stool.

:hug8:

Peggy

Joey

Hit the Road
lots of questions and i'm too tired to start answering lol.
i'll just do them all right now;

i took him to the vet and she could tell there was something wrong but it isn't serious, since he is still being annoying and is eating like there's no tomorrow. she said it's probably since he acquired the taste for fruits (especially his pomegranates and berries!) and because of their high sugar levels, his body couldn't handle it that fast. he feels feverish but other than that he's fine. just need to give him dry food and some prebiotic & electrolytes in his water and he should be fine after 24 hours.

on a side note though; even though he's being fluffy since he's feeling chilly, he still looks mighty cute! <3

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I'm glad his conditiion isn't life threatening. :hug8:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to hear that its nothing too serious.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That's good news!:hug8:

Joey

Hit the Road
thanks.

his droppings are normal today and he seems a bit better. still fluffy though.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
so hope you are having the correct diagnosis from your Vet. If he is still fluffed up and not his normal it may be worth keeping a good eye and getting a second opinion?
If a bird looks unwell it can no longer hide the fact from you so it is poorly. It will need some help sooner rather than later if it continues.
Any black stool can mean blood loss and that is not normal. If there is none now, does not mean the problem has gone away. Do so hope it is not serious and you will soon have a happy healthy bird again. Good luck.:hug8:

Joey

Hit the Road
thanks for the concern. i'm confident that red will be fine soon. but now i'm worried bout the other lovie. he was fine this morning and the afternoon, but right now seems very tired and weak. looks too abnormal. i'm gonna see what's wrong with him.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
thanks for the concern. i'm confident that red will be fine soon. but now i'm worried bout the other lovie. he was fine this morning and the afternoon, but right now seems very tired and weak. looks too abnormal. i'm gonna see what's wrong with him.
Oh no,I hope that little one is ok as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.