• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Red spots on baby Sun Conure's skin

SunnyLover

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gabriel
About 3 days ago I just got a 3 week old baby sun conure from a pet shop. I noticed that he have red spots on his lower belly area (near his feet and under his tail). And some of them are on his back aswell. I counted about 12 dots and they have a round dry skin on them. I noticed about this when I arrived home from the pet shop.

Should I worry about this? Is it some type of an infection/illness or is it normal and would go away after some time? I have researched about this same condition but did not found anything similar.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Starting to have feathers come in. But looks like a little nutritional stress is effecting development. Make sure you are maintaining correct temperature and humidity of its environment they still need supplemental warmth. Make sure proper temp of food.
Have a digital scale and track morning weight daily.
Little ones can go down hill fast and are prone to crop problems, crop infection, general infection. Husbandry and nutrition are critical and can help prevent most issues.
It makes me so sad to see unweaned babies sold so sad ..I can't tell you how many die because of this .

SunnyLover

Real Name
Gabriel
Starting to have feathers come in. But looks like a little nutritional stress is effecting development. Make sure you are maintaining correct temperature and humidity of its environment they still need supplemental warmth. Make sure proper temp of food.
Have a digital scale and track morning weight daily.
Little ones can go down hill fast and are prone to crop problems, crop infection, general infection. Husbandry and nutrition are critical and can help prevent most issues.
It makes me so sad to see unweaned babies sold so sad ..I can't tell you how many die because of this .
Hi I just want to let the readers know that now is all okay. The red dots are just dry skin and are falling off pretty quick. At the time of the picture taken was about 4 days ago and today I cannot see anymore red dots which is a good sign. I noticed that they were on top of each of feather coming out. Thank you for your help and reply Pixiebeak

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
A cute little baby :heart:
Husbandry is so important, so keep reading up, I never stop trying to learn more, and heck have to revisit stuff as I forget .
Are you tracking weight?
Can wait to see your baby grow up

SunnyLover

Real Name
Gabriel
A cute little baby :heart:
Husbandry is so important, so keep reading up, I never stop trying to learn more, and heck have to revisit stuff as I forget .
Are you tracking weight?
Can wait to see your baby grow up
Thank you pixiebeak
He has grown up so much since when I got him. He have many of the feathers on his wings now. Last time I checked he weighed about 115grams. Why it is important to keep weighing him every morning?

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Because things can change quickly with babies , and weight is often the first clue. They burn a lot of calories when sick . It helps pick up delayed crop empting . Delayed milestones or stunting. Weight monitoring is a great tool.

Some formulas have a ratio based on weight.

Love seeing your baby grow and feather out! They do change fast !

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The red dots are just dry skin
Hello, sorry I missed your post. I was going to say they looked to be dry skin or little scabs but I see time has passed and now you have seen that to be true.
I even though they could be little scabs from being picked at maybe by another bird or sibling or parent.