• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recommendations for bird carrier

SgtNikola

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Finn
Since its starting to get nicer outside, I've started looking into ways to take Nikola with me for walks. I thought about harness training, but decided against it as we have a lot of predators around here. He already has a travel cage I feel comfortable taking him to the vet in, but it would be awkward to take for a stroll through the park.

I have seen canvas carriers that look nice, but I'd like something papoose/backpack like so that I can have my hands free. I found one on amazon that I really like, but its a titch pricey... which is good and bad. On the one hand, you get what you pay for; on the other hand, you might pay through the nose for something the bird doesn't even like.

So, just asking if anyone has something they'd recommend and attach the link for the carrier I found: Amazon.com : Petsfit Bird Carrier with Stainless Steel Bowl, Slide Tray for Easy Cleaning, 13" x 10" x 16" : Pet Supplies
Thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're crafty enough, you could make a backpack-style carrier out of a cheaper soft carrier like the A&E or Prevue, by getting a cheap old second-hand backpack and sewing the straps to the carrier. That's what I plan to do with mine. :tup:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Since its starting to get nicer outside, I've started looking into ways to take Nikola with me for walks. I thought about harness training, but decided against it as we have a lot of predators around here. He already has a travel cage I feel comfortable taking him to the vet in, but it would be awkward to take for a stroll through the park.

I have seen canvas carriers that look nice, but I'd like something papoose/backpack like so that I can have my hands free. I found one on amazon that I really like, but its a titch pricey... which is good and bad. On the one hand, you get what you pay for; on the other hand, you might pay through the nose for something the bird doesn't even like.

So, just asking if anyone has something they'd recommend and attach the link for the carrier I found: Amazon.com : Petsfit Bird Carrier with Stainless Steel Bowl, Slide Tray for Easy Cleaning, 13" x 10" x 16" : Pet Supplies
Thank you!
Heh, great minds think alike, I guess. I literally just bought this exact carrier. It arrived yesterday and I am STOKED! (Fair warning... I haven't actually used it yet - I'm just starting to train the birds to go into it - and I've never owned other bird backpack carriers, so I can't do a direct comparison).

It came with more bells and whistles than I expected. I didn't realize it came with a matching carrying bag (actually, it came IN the matching carrying bag, and it stores flat so for a moment I wondered if I'd been sent the wrong item) and a little zipper pouch that clips to the bag and will be handy for carrying treats. There's also an attachment that let you hook it up to the car-seat holders in a vehicle for a long road trip.

It's super sturdy and my largest bird, a TAG will definitely fit inside it comfortably, but I'm glad she has a short tail. A long-tailed bird her size might end up with the tip of the tail brushing the grate. My other birds, a quaker and a cockatiel, will both have plenty of room.

A few downsides:

1) The mesh is plastic rather than metal, so my TAG (the most intenst chewer of my three) might be able to damage it. I knew about that, though, when I made the purchase.

2) There's no easy way to give treats to the bird or add food to the dish without unzipping the cover, so if I have to fiddle with something inside the carrier midway through the trip, it could be a problem.

3) There are some air holes in the top that are fairly good-sized. I wouldn't carry a teeny-tiny bird like a finch (maybe even a parakeet) in this bag, because its head might fit through the holes.

Overall, it has a really great design; someone really thought through all the details. And it's high quality. Opening the box and setting it up, it reminded me of handling a really good piece of luggage.

If you have any questions, about it, I'll be happy to check for you.

Last edited:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
A&E Soft Sided Travel Carrier for Birds
that one is cute. Has a handle or strap.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm considering this one for my conure.

Attachments

SgtNikola

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Finn
Thanks for the quick replies! The celltei carrier looks really nice, but the pets fit one isn’t out of the running. Biggest plus I noticed with celltei is stainless steel meshing and hooks for toys. Does the pets fit pack have a toy hook? It didn’t say in the product description.

Do your birds chew more on walks? Nikola doesn’t usually chew his cages, mostly he just drags beak on the bars when he’s anxious. Should I spring for the ss mesh instead? My biggest fear would be going biking/hiking with him on my back and hearing him bolt, because he got anxious and chewed through.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for the quick replies! The celltei carrier looks really nice, but the pets fit one isn’t out of the running. Biggest plus I noticed with celltei is stainless steel meshing and hooks for toys. Does the pets fit pack have a toy hook? It didn’t say in the product description.

Do your birds chew more on walks? Nikola doesn’t usually chew his cages, mostly he just drags beak on the bars when he’s anxious. Should I spring for the ss mesh instead? My biggest fear would be going biking/hiking with him on my back and hearing him bolt, because he got anxious and chewed through.
I actually don't know if it has a toy hook or not. I'll have to look when I get home. I would never get one without the steel mesh but I also have a cockatoo. My old carrier (just a regular carrier) was nylon mesh and Elvis chewed a hole in it and escaped in less than 5 minutes. Luckily he was indoors but I had just taken him into @cassiesdad 's house. Went outside to get his regular cage. Went back inside and Elvis was gone. He hadn't chewed the carrier any of the other times I had him in it, including on the drive there, but once he decided he wanted out, it took him no time to get out.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My old carrier (just a regular carrier) was nylon mesh and Elvis chewed a hole in it and escaped in less than 5 minutes. Luckily he was indoors but I had just taken him into @cassiesdad 's house. Went outside to get his regular cage. Went back inside and Elvis was gone.
...yeah, that was interesting. ;) We started looking around the house and found him sitting on Buddy's cage, looking at her....:D
Do your birds chew more on walks?
Milton doesn't chew on short trips around the city...he does chew a lot on long trips, such as to the AV in Buffalo. He chews on the wood perches...so when we go to Buffalo, he gets new wood perches to keep his beak occupied...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have a Pak-o-bird carrier and find it great if I need to take Burt somewhere but also need both my hands free.

It seemed like the easiest type of carrier for me to use with such a large bird and having used the dog crate style carrier before the pak o bird I certainly couldn’t see myself going back to the crate carrier.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Lol, glad Elvis decided to hold off on escape until he was in a house!
Nikola is no cockatoo, but hes a crafty lil man so I guess I'll get the ss mesh just in case
We were lucky. And a reminder to me to be more careful.

If you look around, you may be able to find a sale. When I got mine, it was already on sale plus there was an additional 20% off and free shipping being offered.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Took Gus the quaker out in the petsfit bird carrier and it was a smashing success. He chirped and whistled the entire length of our afternoon walk with the dogs. The real test, though, was the next morning. Would he be willing to go BACK into the carrier now that he knew what to expect? That he would be closed inside?

Yes, yes he did. He stepped in just as nicely as could be.

The other two are both a lot more skittish and it will take some time to get them near it, let alone inside, so for now Gus gets all the walks to himself.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Took Gus the quaker out in the petsfit bird carrier and it was a smashing success. He chirped and whistled the entire length of our afternoon walk with the dogs. The real test, though, was the next morning. Would he be willing to go BACK into the carrier now that he knew what to expect? That he would be closed inside?

Yes, yes he did. He stepped in just as nicely as could be.

The other two are both a lot more skittish and it will take some time to get them near it, let alone inside, so for now Gus gets all the walks to himself.
Glad he liked it! My sun conures run to it every time I they see me holding it, I may try the bird one if my dog version ever break. They black one is 4 years old with no signs of wear and tear. The poop is hard to get off the fabric and should straps though lol. Not sure if its worth an extra $50 as it appears its the same material and mesh since mine are also made by petsfit. Is the mesh a cloth/fabric type mesh for the bird version?

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Glad he liked it! My sun conures run to it every time I they see me holding it, I may try the bird one if my dog version ever break. They black one is 4 years old with no signs of wear and tear. The poop is hard to get off the fabric and should straps though lol. Not sure if its worth an extra $50 as it appears its the same material and mesh since mine are also made by petsfit. Is the mesh a cloth/fabric type mesh for the bird version?
No, the mesh itself is some kind of plastic.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
No, the mesh itself is some kind of plastic.
Yeah idk both products says material is oxford cloth which may meant just the backpack itself. Both bags say the mesh is hexagonal which could mean anything lol