• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recent budgie death advive

emandroger

Moving in
Real Name
Emma
Hi everyone, new to this forum as facebook groups were getting very toxic.

My partner and I are very sad as we lost our first budgie Brenda on Saturday. I was home with her and it was all very sudden. I am blaming myself and I am hoping to get some comfort and advice from here.

For context, we had 2 budgies Brenda (female) and Roger (male), and we think they were both between 18 months-2 years old. Both were not tame but Brenda was more comfortable with us than Roger is. Brenda never caused us any issues and any concerns about their health only ever came from Roger. However I wonder if we dropped the ball on Brenda a little bit as looking back I think she had a been a little under the weather, not flying as much, retreating back into her cage earlier, and one evening last week she flew around and wasn’t able to land where she normally does so flew herself slowly to the cage and she almost slid down the bars as if she was very tired. Another time she started flapping in the cage but then she couldn’t get her foot to grip back on to the perch. Didn’t notice any issues with eating or drinking or general temperament.

They also don’t eat much more than a seed diet as they are very scared of anything new. So on Saturday I wanted to try them with with lettuce and strawberries. I cut it up small and added onto a tray which I then put into the cage and walked away. I heard them flapping about and tweeting as they usually do with anything new in their cage but I then heard Brenda drop to the bottom of the cage. At first I thought she had her foot caught in the grate at the bottom and I thought she was struggling to free herself so I rushed over but it looked like she may have been seizing? Within 10 seconds of all this her tweets began getting slower and weaker and by the time I was able to get her out of the cage she was gone.

I have read a lot that suggests the spasms I may have seen may not have been a seizure but just the natural way of dying in budgies, but i’m not sure what else could have caused her death?

I also know they hide illness well and she may have had an underlying issue. I am just so worried and blaming myself that the stress of something new in the cage may have caused her to flap around a little too hard and cause herself an injury. I didn’t see the moment so I will never know.

We have buried her now so we won’t get an autopsy done or anything, and i’m not sure what I’m asking. I suppose if anyone can provide me any comfort around any of my thoughts that would be amazing.

Also any tips on how we can try to bond with Roger and comfort him through his grief would be amazing? (he seems to be fine, although not eating as much). Eventually we would want to get him another companion but for now we want to make him as happy as possible whilst he is on his own.

Thank you all in advance.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I am so very sorry for your loss. It can be devastating, and I think sometimes we do tend to blame ourselves when looking for answers. Sadly, sometimes we just don't know. I hope you will find ways to comfort Roger, and that maybe you might find a new perfect companion when the time is right. :sadhug2:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's hard to say what it could have been. I don't think something in the cage causing her to flap too hard would be my top 10 suspects unless there was a medical condition... I've had scaredy birds and untame birds and never had that.

Not being able to grip could mean a calcium or D3 deficiency, previous seizure, neurological, egg laying related... So many possibilities.

I'm sorry for your loss :sadhug2: it's hard having questions and no answers!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So very sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Welcome to our group, sorry for these reasons,but please do stay active with us. We are great for good times or rough patches .

It sounds like she has a health issue, and at first you were seeing some signs of general weakness, and those go with nearly any kind of illness.

As you mentioned at the moment of death, they go through as you described and can seem seizure like. I'd lean more to the death process than death by seizure.

Budgies can finish seeds , yet the husks make it bowl still look full. You can check thst by blowing on it the husks will fly around . It has happened many times that accidentally starved birds when this happens. Just an awareness, not say this ehst happened.

Another thing to be aware of , water bottle can clog, and birds nit actually be able to drink, I prefer water bowls.

Another thing to watch are stools. Budgies should have dry circles with white I middle and a poop ring around. Any wet messy un formed poops indicate heath issue. Tho female May have odd poops just before or after eggs.

On making friends.....I took in the home boys and never tried. My sweet cloudy decided on his own to make friends with me at year 2. He lands on me hangs out and has let me touch him. My other is wild and stays as far from me as possible. So others will have to share their success in taming.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You seem like a great caring person for your birds. Budgies are very fragile little birds.
Their health depends on so many things you have no control over.

emandroger

Moving in
Real Name
Emma
I am so very sorry for your loss. It can be devastating, and I think sometimes we do tend to blame ourselves when looking for answers. Sadly, sometimes we just don't know. I hope you will find ways to comfort Roger, and that maybe you might find a new perfect companion when the time is right. :sadhug2:
Thank you so much, I appreciate your words. Working from home today sat with Roger next to me in his cage and he was eating seed from my finger, gradually getting him to trust me. Hoping he feels the comfort we want to give him.

emandroger

Moving in
Real Name
Emma
It's hard to say what it could have been. I don't think something in the cage causing her to flap too hard would be my top 10 suspects unless there was a medical condition... I've had scaredy birds and untame birds and never had that.

Not being able to grip could mean a calcium or D3 deficiency, previous seizure, neurological, egg laying related... So many possibilities.

I'm sorry for your loss :sadhug2: it's hard having questions and no answers!
Thank you so much for your reply. All the responses on this post so far have made me feel better that maybe it’s not something I did and she was potentially unwell and we just missed it. You’re right, we never know and it makes it harder, but we have to believe we did the best for her and gave her a good life. Thank you again.

emandroger

Moving in
Real Name
Emma
Welcome to our group, sorry for these reasons,but please do stay active with us. We are great for good times or rough patches .

It sounds like she has a health issue, and at first you were seeing some signs of general weakness, and those go with nearly any kind of illness.

As you mentioned at the moment of death, they go through as you described and can seem seizure like. I'd lean more to the death process than death by seizure.

Budgies can finish seeds , yet the husks make it bowl still look full. You can check thst by blowing on it the husks will fly around . It has happened many times that accidentally starved birds when this happens. Just an awareness, not say this ehst happened.

Another thing to be aware of , water bottle can clog, and birds nit actually be able to drink, I prefer water bowls.

Another thing to watch are stools. Budgies should have dry circles with white I middle and a poop ring around. Any wet messy un formed poops indicate heath issue. Tho female May have odd poops just before or after eggs.

On making friends.....I took in the home boys and never tried. My sweet cloudy decided on his own to make friends with me at year 2. He lands on me hangs out and has let me touch him. My other is wild and stays as far from me as possible. So others will have to share their success in taming.
Thank you, I definitely will be sticking around. You have all been so kind.

I am starting to agree that she may have been ill and we just sadly missed it. It hard to accept but potentially it’s nothing we did wrong, just one of those things. It doesn’t make it easier but like I said to the person above, we tried our best to give her the best life and I do believe she was happy until the end.

Thank you for all the pointers as well, and that’s really interesting about making friends with your Cloudy after 2 years - gives me hope one day Roger will love us back as much as we love him!

emandroger

Moving in
Real Name
Emma
You seem like a great caring person for your birds. Budgies are very fragile little birds.
Their health depends on so many things you have no control over.
That means a lot, thank you. I just wanted the best for both of them, and now we’re focused on giving Roger the best life we can.

That is very true about their health and being fragile birds in general, I never really thought about it that way so thank you.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome from one budgie person to another! I’m sorry it’s under these circumstances. Without a postmortem you’ll only be able to guess & blaming yourself isn’t helpful.

emandroger

Moving in
Real Name
Emma
Welcome from one budgie person to another! I’m sorry it’s under these circumstances. Without a postmortem you’ll only be able to guess & blaming yourself isn’t helpful.
Thank you, you’re totally right. Trying to make peace with it now and move onto making Roger’s life the best it can be. Thank you for the warm welcome.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for your loss. As @Mizzely said, it could have been numerous reasons- nothing that you did wrong. And sadly, many budgies come from the equivalent of puppy mills and just genetically aren't very hardy. Give your other budgie extra time and attention. Birds actually do grieve too, and as you said, eventually he probably would like another friend.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I lost one of my own little buddies just this Monday. Budgies can be fragile, and store budgies, as other have mentioned, have had their genetic vigor shredded by poor breeding practices. One avian vet I spoke to said that she believed it didn't matter if the bird was hand-raised or store-bought, even, the genetic rigor was so poor it would take deliberate breeding with wild strains to re-invigorate. There are so many things that could have gone wrong that it would be impossible for you to diagnose just based on the observations you shared. The only thing you want to rule out right away are environmental factors (household cleaners, aerosols, etc.).

It sounds like you were already taking steps to better enrich their life and health, and you will find so much more advice and support on this wonderful forum! Glad you're here!

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
So sorry for your loss but welcome to the community! How long have you had them and where did you get them? Are you definitely sure she was young? She could have been an older bird maybe and died of old age?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.