• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reasons I Should Get Another Bird and Reasons I Should Not

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
After reading through your comments here, if I were you I would get her! Things should be fine with an odd number if they are not housed together. She may even show the others hands are safe and ok...

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Get the birdie! It needs a place , and like mentioned before, in worse case you can find the right home to movevher on to.

A solo bird that has lived a long time alone is really low risk , in my book, for cooties .

I feel you have made up your mind and want her, and are just trying to talk your heart out of it. Your heart knows best, all the other details will work themselves out.

I had 3 budgie boys with no issues at all. I do not know the dynamic if adding a girl to boys tho

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
I asked for the dimensions of the cage and the daughter is going to get back to me. We switched the guest room and the bird room/my office this summer and I'm not sure if the bird room can accommodate another cage.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Some of the best advice I’ve ever received is: If you’re torn between two decisions, do nothing.
I think the middle ground would be to help find the sweetie a home and don’t set yourself up for stress. Then someday, when you’re ready, look for a hand tamed rescue. :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
How you doing with your decision

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
What a pretty little thing!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
He's not great at expressing feelings and is very logically minded. I will really have to pressure him to get a real answer.
If he's really logically minded... You've already said what logic dictates in this situation.

My husband is similar. It was like a week for him to mull over bringing Bosco home. He honestly said no to Ripley and I said, "Well sorry you aren't here and you can't stop me!" And went and got him anyways. :scared5: But I've never done that before... I had a strong feeling about Ripley I couldn't shake :heart:
Oh, my! And what did he say to that?

Please don't misunderstand. We love our parrots. But sometimes I get jealous when I see adorable pictures of people's cockatiels stepping up, or sitting on shoulders, or cuddling with humans, or accepting head skritches. It's a fine line of respecting my rescues and their boundaries and pushing them bits at a time to be more comfortable with hands.
I know how you feel. TD has never liked hands and I guess, being a newbie and an RV'er (often with little or no Internet service), I probably reinforced that in him. I can only give him scritches through the cage bars. So, I get real jealous when I see other birdies being cuddly with their caregivers. Now I have AthenaDon who won't get off of me for one second when he's out. It's nice, but has it's drawbacks as well.

After reading through your comments here, if I were you I would get her! Things should be fine with an odd number if they are not housed together. She may even show the others hands are safe and ok...
That's what I'm hoping AthenaDon does for TD!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
If he's really logically minded... You've already said what logic dictates in this situation.

I know how you feel. TD has never liked hands and I guess, being a newbie and an RV'er (often with little or no Internet service), I probably reinforced that in him. I can only give him scritches through the cage bars. So, I get real jealous when I see other birdies being cuddly with their caregivers. Now I have AthenaDon who won't get off of me for one second when he's out. It's nice, but has it's drawbacks as well.

That's what I'm hoping AthenaDon does for TD!
I think a lot of people don’t realise that a Velcro bird isn’t always rainbows and fluffy things haha :loltears: Happy middle would be nice lol

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh he was very salty about it and was mad :lol: But he will readily admit Ripley is a great bird and he's glad I did it :)