• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rb2 & G2 comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen0087

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi everyone, I have been thinking about getting a rose breasted cockatoo. My mom has a goffin and I would like to know if there is any general differences in behavior between the two ( or toos, haha). I completely adore Ricky, my mom's. We have had him for two years, he was rehomed to us at 3. The poor thing barely had any feathers under his wings then. He was afraid of everything too. All of that has changed though, he can be quite an aggressive monster at times now! He LOVES to dance, jump around like a bunny and play fetch. When I hold him up to a door he politely knocks and when I leave he tells me bye bye! He also will quickly flap his wings out and display them when we say, TA DA! Every once in a while he will say it with us. I could go on for days about all of his little antics and quirks but I'll stop bragging. ;) Unfortunately, he has not forgiven me for moving out last year and let's me know often with his beak. It's usually my fault though, I get to close when I shouldn't, ugh.I feel like I would be good with a cockatoo of my own, but I sometimes doubt myself after reading all the posts about the negative side of them. I'd like to think I can handle it though. My main concern is aggression and biting. I do expect to get bit, Ricky has definitely shared that with me (eyes, neck, lips, you name it). My hope is that I can have a bird that is friendly with everyone. I would definitely socialize it with anyone I can. I know they are a HUGE commitment, it is not something I would simply get rid of because I want to start a family or have to move. Birds are children to me, I love them unconditionally. I just really miss my companionship with Ricky and would like a bird of my own. I fell in love with a rb2 at a store and have been stuck on them since. I have always loved cockatoos personalities but am open to other breeds. Any comparisons of the g2 and rb2 would b great since I have experience with the g2s already. Oh and if anyone could tell me which one has a bigger beak that would be great! I have searched and searched but haven't found anything.Thanks in advance! - Jen

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would say that the RB2 and the Goffin's are kind of similar in personality actually. They're both full of energy and goofy. RB2s are known to be on the nippy side as a species. Goffin's are more mechanical in nature than the RB2 and have been known to dismantle their entire cages. RB2s are supposed to be less dusty and not as loud or as needy...I think it all depends on how the bird is raised. I've met some wonderful Goffin's but I've also met some complete terrors. RB2s, on the other hand, everyone seems to love and you rarely see them in rescue. But, I've also heard that RB2s are more likely to develop phobic behaviors...every bird is going to be an individual too though. I'd meet some of each and let the bird pick you.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'd say Goffins are the Toos on speed. IMO they have more spunk and personality stuffed into that small body than many folk can handle.

The RB2s I've known are more laid back, not quite as frantic, nor as phobic as some of the G2s I've known. Even my Goffin can get some odd quirks now and then.

I have known many more Goffins then Rosebreasteds, and I may have missed the calm sedate G2s, and the RB2s with ADD.

Jen0087

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Haha speed, I know what you mean! Can either of you tell me which one has a bigger beak? It looks like the Goffin but it's hard to tell.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I think the Rosie's are a little bigger period, though not really sure about beak size. I can tell you though, that that little tiny Goffin beak is very sharp, busy and always into trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.