• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ray’s Family Parrots: real or scam?

Sheldon

Checking out the neighborhood
ive been searching breeders so I can get a baby blue and gold macaw to add to my flock. I’m not sure wether or not this breeder is a scam and I’m wondering if anyone on here has had experience with them or has heard of them. http://rayfamilyparrot.com/index.html
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Scam - take a look at the prices on the Hyacinths in particular. The pictures on their site are out of focus and very bad.

I think we had an inquiry about this Scammer recently.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There is only ONE result on Facebook for this company, and it is a post from August 2018, and suggests scam: Alyssa Smith - Hi there! Is anyone familiar with Ray's... | Facebook

The domain: Registration Date: 2018-07-27

Seems odd that they have been in business for 9 years but only registered the domain a few months ago is a red flag.

Having +1 in the phone number suggests the creator of the website is also not from the United States.

They are listed on the BBB website as not compliant with licensing requirements Ray's Family Parrots | Better Business Bureau® Profile

Pet Scam Website: Rayfamilyparrot.com Ray's Family Parrots-sales@rayfamilyparrot.com-+16788818037

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Their language usage isn't standard. And free shipping? They also have contradictory information in some places. Stay away.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you're interested in adopting, most rescues usually have lots of macaws available. I know we have a number of them at our local rescue currently.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It doesn’t sound trustworthy to me! There are lots of blue and golds in rescues if you’re interested! That’s what we hope to adopt in the next year or so

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
There is only ONE result on Facebook for this company, and it is a post from August 2018, and suggests scam: Alyssa Smith - Hi there! Is anyone familiar with Ray's... | Facebook

The domain: Registration Date: 2018-07-27

Seems odd that they have been in business for 9 years but only registered the domain a few months ago is a red flag.

Having +1 in the phone number suggests the creator of the website is also not from the United States.

They are listed on the BBB website as not compliant with licensing requirements Ray's Family Parrots | Better Business Bureau® Profile

Pet Scam Website: Rayfamilyparrot.com Ray's Family Parrots-sales@rayfamilyparrot.com-+16788818037
The phone number according to reverse lookup is a private landline in northwest Atlanta, GA. The Petscam indicates that there is a country (which I would not trust) associated with the seller. We had to dial a 1 in front of different area codes in the U.S. but cell phones automatically add a 1 nowadays. International would be 011+country code+area code+phone #. It could be a set up so that calls to that # are forwarded to another.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The phone number according to reverse lookup is a private landline in northwest Atlanta, GA. We had dial a 1 in front of different area codes in the U.S. but cell phones automatically add a 1 nowadays.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Right but a US based business doing only business in the US like this claims would not do +1. Some might put 1, but the plus sign is an indicator that a non US entity is making the website

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
There was also a scam about yellow macaws a couple of months ago - bad photoshopping of a pair of scarlet macaws with most of the background removed so it was hard to tell without paying attention to details.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
The photos of the "red factor grays" have been exited. The first photo of them is reaaaaallllly badly done. They just literally colorized it, increased the saturation and fiddled with the brightness/contrast. You can see a red halo around them where they didn't crop it properly or accidentally selected things they didn't mean to. Their masks and parts of their feathers are just completely whited out thanks to the contrast efect they used to try and make the red feathers look more textured, while the redder feathers just look off because of how saturated they are. Their feathers have just blended into a solid mass of red.

I draw as a hobby, this was done in GIMP. It's a program that isn't really all that good and often gives me the same issues when I use it to work on stuff I've drawn and scanned in.

The second looks more real, but if those are real birds, they're very sick or are a different species of bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also in the US anyone that is selling a baby hyacinth for under 5k is definitely not legit. They are 7 to 10k each.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The photos of the
The photos of the "red factor grays" have been exited. The first photo of them is reaaaaallllly badly done. They just literally colorized it, increased the saturation and fiddled with the brightness/contrast. You can see a red halo around them where they didn't crop it properly or accidentally selected things they didn't mean to. Their masks and parts of their feathers are just completely whited out thanks to the contrast efect they used to try and make the red feathers look more textured, while the redder feathers just look off because of how saturated they are. Their feathers have just blended into a solid mass of red.

I draw as a hobby, this was done in GIMP. It's a program that isn't really all that good and often gives me the same issues when I use it to work on stuff I've drawn and scanned in.

The second looks more real, but if those are real birds, they're very sick or are a different species of bird.
The photos of the red factor greys can also be found here:
Exotic Red Factor African Greys For Sale - Home

Exotic Red Factor African Greys For Sale - Contact

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The ones in the first link are definitely not real.
I agree and my first thought was that they were Photoshopped. There are red factor greys but I've read that they can molt out the red.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I agree and my first thought was that they were Photoshopped. There are red factor greys but I've read that they can molt out the red.
GIMP is definitely the program they used. It's easier to recolor with photoshPh.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've seen some people use GIMP with awesome results and others use Photoshop with results like these.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
redred.jpg
Another good example of what I mean about the shading. Compete his legs to his chest and his (missing) face.

I think they flat out forgot to recolor his butt/leg feathers.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I've seen some people use GIMP with awesome results and others use Photoshop with results like these.
You'll see it with gimp more often than not. With Photoshop, you can just layer the color and crop it to what you want to select.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Oh Gods they have real animals.
DSC08041.JPG
He really doesn't look okay. :(
He's only SEVEN.

ETA: He belongs to the people the stolen edited images belong to.

Last edited: