• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Rat Attack

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried the Mazuri Insectivore or were you just giving her the small bird? If you feel she's eating enough of the pellets without the seed that's OK but if that's not the case then I wouldn't take the seed away. However, I would take away the millet. JMHO

Pippa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Laura
Small bird. I looked at the Mazuri Insectivore but I don't know about the ingredients. Like ground aspen (isn't that just sawdust?) or unnamed animal meals. I thought they weren't safe.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Spee's been eating the Insectivore for about 6 years and no problems. He just gets a very small amount and it's not his main source of nutrition.

Pippa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Laura
I'll see about it. We have a ton of RoudyBush, especially considering how little she uses (44 oz bag) With how much she likes seed, I need to get her a little bag of a good mix that I'll give her a couple times a day. That way she has to eat pellets but also gets some nummy seeds. I'm thinking Goldenfeast Australian Blend or Volkman Super Science Canary. And I might order Quiko Goldy for her insect portion and maybe some meal or super worms

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Volkman Avian Science Super Finch is what you want rather than the canary.
Volkman Seed Company

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just stating based on what I have done. Nothing wrong with the canary seed, maybe a mix of both? House sparrows are actually supposed to be part of the weaver finch family although there is some controversy regarding whether or not this is the case.

Pippa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Laura
Controversy surrounds everything. I don't want to get a lot of food since we're moving and she eats so little, I'd be left with a lot.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haven't see you post for awhile. Hope all is well w/ you & Pippa.

@Pippa