• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raptors that target dogs…

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is there a list anywhere of the max weight birds of prey can take? There was a raptor circling the field this morning. I called my dog & held her, but it’s not the first time. She’s a little pudgy at 15 lbs (should be 13ish). I tried to get a photo & have tried to learn flight silhouettes, but I’m not good at it. It might help to narrow down the possibilities. Meanwhile, I think she’s being hunted & she thinks she’s invincible.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh my that's scary! I have no idea but I hope someone else does!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The odds of that happening are quite slim. I'm not sure what raptors you have but even a Bald Eagle can't pick up more than roughly 7 pounds so yes while that could encompass a fair amount of dogs that would be a rare instance.

My personal favorite the Red Tailed Hawk struggles even carrying a 5 pound rabbit so I really don't think most would attempt to go after a dog when they know what species they can carry. But that being said stranger things have happened so it doesn't hurt to be cautious but I wouldn't be too worried about it at your dogs weight :)
This is super blurry so hopefully it won't offend but I witnessed this first hand with a rabbit and the Hawk struggled incredibly hard to even take off and get any lift while carrying the rabbit away it expended so much effort.
20180630_070847.jpg

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thanks, April! There are many species at the field, according to Merlin, so I worry when I see the raptors circling & all the other birds take cover & go silent. It’s far out in the country! Merlin has picked up many rare birds there, so I worry! There’s one that circles far above the trees & even the crows & ravens don’t like it, & it looks huge even from a distance. It was out this morning.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks, April! There are many species at the field, according to Merlin, so I worry when I see the raptors circling & all the other birds take cover & go silent. It’s far out in the country! Merlin has picked up many rare birds there, so I worry! There’s one that circles far above the trees & even the crows & ravens don’t like it, & it looks huge even from a distance. It was out this morning.
That's a valid concern there's always the odd one especially a juvenile that may not yet know it's limitations and attempt it but on the whole I'd say you and your pup are probably safe. If you had a 3 pound teacup Yorkie that would be a far more likely target for a hunting raptor.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I agree with the others that you're safe from being carried off at 15lbs, but an aborted attack could still cause injury so it's smart to stay close when you see birds overhead.

There are deterrents...

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thank you all. I feel very reassured, but will continue to monitor the skies. The bird that circles way up high is definitely hunting!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
When we lived near a woods and farmer’s field we had loads of kites and hawks that would circle above the houses a few doors down from me a kite took a cat and flew off with it dropping it a few more houses down the cat was obviously injured but lived the women got it on camera as she was recording her children playing/dancing in garden most of patch was in there gardens as it was so hot we had pools out wire fences so I saw it drop the cat after she screamed
I remember at time googling it because I have little dogs well small dogs and I am sure I read heaviest is cat size to smaller dogs but as @April said it’s very rare rabbits are normally biggest they will go
But even to this day I check when letting my dogs out
I also had a kite fly at my window while pico was sat on boing I think it realised it was window as it quickly flew up just a very beautiful sight but made me and pico jump

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just found this. Don5 know where the bird is native too….

What is the largest prey a bird can carry?

10 Fun Facts About the Harpy Eagle | Audubon

In her prime, an adult female Harpy Eagle can grab targets weighing up to 20 lbs in flight and carry them without landing. They consume 800 grams (1.75 lbs.) of food per day and do not have to hunt every day. Large prey stashed in the trees can be finished a

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You’ll want to find out what birds they are to know what your major concerns are.
My auntie had a dog carried off by a wedge tail eagle which you don’t have there but I also know of a few people who have lost pets to birds of prey much smaller than wedgies.
It’s also not just being carried off you need to worry about, some hit with an almighty force and the strength they have in their feet is actually rather amazing.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I believe the Bald Eagle and Golden Eagle are the largest birds of prey in North America?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I looked it up & apparently both golden & bald eagles are here. They like the rivers. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We have abundant baldies here in Michigan and along the Mississippi in Minnesota/Wisconsin. Not sure if I've ever seen a golden. Every time I do see the bald eagles they are fishing or eating roadkill.

Just found this. Don5 know where the bird is native too….

What is the largest prey a bird can carry?

10 Fun Facts About the Harpy Eagle | Audubon

In her prime, an adult female Harpy Eagle can grab targets weighing up to 20 lbs in flight and carry them without landing. They consume 800 grams (1.75 lbs.) of food per day and do not have to hunt every day. Large prey stashed in the trees can be finished a
These live in Central and South America :)

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I've read up on this before since I have a small dog. Sassy is about 11 lbs.
1000016879.jpg

It's generally considered that the max carry weight for raptors is half their body weight. And something like a Bald eagles is 6 - 14 lbs.

There are reports of heavier prey being carried off by grabbing from a higher elevation and gliding down.

Most birds - especially raptors - are very skittish of humans so just keeping dogs nearby when out would keep them away.

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
It's generally considered that the max carry weight for raptors is half their body weight. And something like a Bald eagles is 6 - 14 lbs.

There are reports of heavier prey being carried off by grabbing from a higher elevation and gliding down.

Most birds - especially raptors - are very skittish of humans so just keeping dogs nearby when out would keep them away.
I agree, I would be more worried about coyotes, etc