• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raptor deterrence

Delfyn

Checking out the neighborhood
Want to ask suggestions on how best to deter a redtail hawk. (Offspring over the years) from attacking my outside aviary.
They hit the cage in flight, scaring the canaries who then fly in escape only to break their neck or thud into other parts of the aviary.
Wasn’t sure what forum to place.
Tx. David

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@melissasparrots may have some ideas to help but my thought is to maybe give your canaries (inside the aviary) something to break up the view and for them to hide behind (plants) or among or maybe you could add some draping potted plants (or wind chimes etc) on the outside of the aviary to stop the hawks from accessing the side of the aviary.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Could you possibly put some branches or cover so they can’t see the birds from the air?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would think baby red tails would only be a big problem for about a month in the summer. Around here, that would be from mid June to late July or early August when they disperse from the family group and go their separate ways. Maybe consider bringing the canaries in the house for that month? Otherwise, as someone else mentioned, break up their view. Put some plywood up over part of the aviary and make sure half of it has some sort of roof they can't see through. Plus some small branches scattered all over so the canaries have to dodge through the branches in order to hide and can't build up enough speed to break their neck. Maybe also put shade cloth around the outside. If you have a middle to good sized dog you can put out in the yard during daylight hours, that might actually be ideal.

Delfyn

Checking out the neighborhood
Many thanks to all the respondents. The Aviary is actually quite secured with foliage within and without, as well as a 3/4’s roof covering. But, not enough.
The issue is the raptors have learned over the years. Original attacks usually resulted in their being stunned to literally falling to the ground after impact of flying into the ‘sun column’ of the aviary, and then the birds would hide. No harm other than the scare. I’ve had Love birds, Gouldians, a Finch potpourri over the years and have since matriculated to canaries of all sorts. An auditory avian aquarium if you will.
The generational offspring of the hawks ( this is now over about 10 + years) have learned to scare the birds once in the tower, then scare them to exhaustion by running around the sun tower till they alit to the bottom, and then attacking through the ground level.
I’ve doubled layered the perimeter wire, except for the entry door. My bad.
The hawks (coopers, sharpshinned, redtail) have learned to wait at the doors ground level and the reach through the 1/2” by 2” galvanized wire and try to pull the exhausted birds, or dead ones from a broken neck, through the slats (they don’t get much, likely the thrill of the hunt more). Only learned this behaviour from a Ring install with a different perspective view.
Long to short, I wrapped the tower (3’ diameter by 6’ tall) with a 4” offset of visible bird netting as an initial deterrent, and then used 10’ long x 12” spaced galvanized wire ‘hangers’ to dissuade the raptors from flying back to the cage door (which is under the common roof) to attack as the wires, though mobile by their singular attachment won’t allow, or will at least make them think twice of flying through them as the ‘ping’ when touched, like a harp cord.
So far so good - ha! Next, they’ll find the hidden key to the aviary lock.
Many thanks, all.