• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ranch Sorting vid from yesteday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meredith
My first ever Ranch Sorting competition! Man was it a blast! I rode in 2 open runs, and also the jackpot where you get 3 runs with 3 different people. In that class and in each run of that class, your partner is drawn from the pot, so you don't know who you will get for each of the 3 rides.

YouTube - TikusMom's Channel

I decided to ride my 18 year old grey Arab gelding (I've had him since he was a weanling). He knows exactly what I want from him and will do whatever I ask of him with no hesitation.... My QH, Sunny, isn't quite there yet, but he's never been near cattle before our practice ride on Saturday. He's got alot more work to do before I take him to a competition. Letrero is still my most dependable horse and he absolutely LOVES to run cows. I've helped push neighbors cows with him over the years and he absolutely loves it. :hehe:

All 5 runs for me ended up with a "no time" but it was so much fun. I wish I could afford to do it every weekend!! :p

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
WOW that was great, it looked like so much fun:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
looks like so much fun!!!!!!!!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Meredith is that also calle d"Team penning"??Years ago i had a couple friends who used to go do that on saturday nights.SO they talked me into taking up an appy mare who'd never been around cows before.:lol: What a real fun night that was.

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Awesome, you look great.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Thanks guys....it's so much fun! Years ago (and I'm talking mid '80s) I used to show hunt seat. The competition was so stiff and people were so unfriendly, so I assumed all competition was that way. My last actual show was back in 1986 and I decided after that I was never going to compete again. Let me tell you, the difference between the "show people" and the folks who do the ranch sorting is like night and day. Even though we are competing for money, everyone cheers everyone else on....in hunt seat, it was every man for himself, and we were just competing for stupid ribbons!
I'm totally addicted to ranch sorting! :lol:
Marian, team penning is actually different...it's similar though, but with penning it's a 3 man team....one to cut, one to push, and one to hold the gate. The announcer calls out a number and you have to find 3 calves wearing the same number, cut them out of the herd, and push them into a holding pen.
Ranch sorting consists of a team of 2. You have 60 seconds to cut 5 calves from a group of 10 and cut them in numerical order from the number they call out... so if they call out #2, you have to find and cut 2, then 3, then 4....and so on. They have to go in order numerically and only those cattle can cross the gate into the holding pen. If another calf that is either out of order in the numbers you have to sort out, or is one of the numbers you aren't going for even so much as sticks it's head through the gate you are disqualified even if you get it pushed back out. It's such a rush! LOL! :yahoo:

Last edited:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for explaining it. Looks like you had a great time!!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
that looks like so much fun - your horse is magnificent and looked like he was having a ball as well!! :D

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Thanks GG! I love this horse and I absolutely trust him with my life. And he LOVES chasing cows! LOL!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow, you're good! That was fun to watch! :laughing12:

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Thanks Marie! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I don't know about being good, but I sure did have alot of fun!

OSUtoo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Brittany
Sorry to bump and old thread...this looks like fun. I've always wanted to try something like this with mine. They just were introduced to cattle about 2 years ago and seem to be alright with them, I've just never seen how they'd do all mixed in with them! They do some of these nearby over the summer so I really want to try it out. :dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.