• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ramshorns?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So I've got a bunch of (what looks to be) baby ramshorn snails in my 10 gallon guppy tank.

I have some Java fern in there, but those came from somewhere that raises their plants in tanks that ONLY house that specific plant. So the eggs can't have hitch-hiked. I also have mystery snails, but they only live in my 40 gallon community, and every clutch of eggs it scraped off the glass into the water, where they won't hatch. So I know they aren't baby mysteries. I've never had a ramshorn, only mysteries.

I know these snails can be prolific egg-layers, and I've dealt with pond snails before. I don't want these guys to turn out the same.

So what should I do? At the moment I have them contained to a breeder box in the tank, should I let them roam free? I don't want to smash them, and I don't want to send them off to my local fish store.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Update: I think we might call my uncle and see if they want the ramshorns. I'm sure my little cousins (9 and 7 y/o) would be positively enthralled with them.