• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raising Zebra Finch Chicks

fluff86

Walking the driveway
So my Zebra Finches have had some chicks and at the moment things are going well, however anything can happen so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the parents continue to care for there chicks. I've had negative experiences in the past when breeding Zebra Finches and if at any time I need to step in, I would like to learn more in advance about raising chicks just encase I'm faced with a problem.

Whats the best way to feed and care for baby Zebra Finch chicks?

How do I make a bird formula?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@finchly is the only member that I can think of off the top of my head with this experience, but it has been almost a year since she logged into her account.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I've lost one chick. One chick left. I've got plenty of eggs but only one chick now. I may give up with breeding the Zebra Finches. Hopefully this one chick I have might make it, it might have a better chance if I remove it and take over.

If the finches don't produce any babies with the next two months then I'll be removing all nest boxes for good from the aviary and I'll just breed Canaries, Button Quails and Diamond Doves.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
OK just an update...

The Zebra Finch chick is doing well so far and its just days away from leaving its nest... however it has jumped out of its nest a few times and I've had to place it back in its nest as it can't fly properly yet... I'm keeping a close eye on it to make sure that the parents are still feeding it which they are.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed as its just days away from becoming independent from its nest... I thought I was going to have to intervene at one point but the parents have showed me they are doing a good job so I'll just observe for now and hope for the best.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Just an update the baby zebra finch can now fly but it can't perch so it ends up on the aviary floor and hides. I spent a good 10 minutes looking for it this morning and I popped it back in the nest.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I am sorry for your loss.
It happens unfortunately its just one of those things that goes with breeding. I'm doing much better this year tho.

The other chick is still doing well and she is making progress and she has her mother watching out for her around the aviary which is a very good sign and she is learning to perch now so hopefully in a few more days the chick will become more independent.

I think I might have some other chicks now in one of the other nest boxes but I don't want to disturb them right now so I'll check the nest box a bit later on to see what is in there.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
More zebra finch chicks have hatched.

P1010383.JPG P1010384.JPG

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am curious what that bedding is?

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I am curious what that bedding is?
I mix of all sorts from the aviary floor. I did put in shredded news paper but the finch made its own bedding instead.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Just an update... My Zebra finches are doing very well and I'm getting more and more chicks now. They have been growing well although I've lost some but that is to be expected. The main thing is that my Zebra finch family is growing in numbers and I will be removing nest boxes soon once I'm happy with the number of Zebra finches I have in my aviary and once all babies have left the nests...