• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rabies reaction

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I just about had a heat attack today. I took my dog in for her 3 year rabies booster. She is 6 will be 7 in November and has never had a problem before. When I got home a hour or so later I noticed her rubbing her face on everything. Upon inspection I noticed her lip was swollen. I called vet and took her back in to have checked. They said she had a allergic reaction to the rabies vaccine and gave her a shot and said to give antihistamine twice a day until all swelling goes down. Has anyone else had this problem. I'm thinking about not having the vaccine given next time and have a titer test or have vet write a note telling of her reaction. She is never loose, always on leash when on a walk and we have a fenced yard which she only uses for potty time, as a inside dog. Between the rebuild from Harvey and this I am about to go insane! LOL
Mitzi

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They have often several different vaccine, write down what this was, and try a different next time.
I think Rabies vaccine is important to give.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I had a Doberman who was allergic to them. He was 6 when he had his first reaction. They did try a different approach the following year but he reacted again. After that we did titers yearly. He had 6 years of positive otters before he passed from DCM.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be afraid to forego rabies prevention entirely just because it's such a devastating illness, but of course severe allergies are dangerous too. Is it possible to try a rabies vaccine by a different manufacturer to see if your dog has the same reaction? Sometimes that helps. Otherwise you could ask your vet if there are alternative methods.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Had this with a cat. Problem was she received multiple vaccines plus rabies. She began to itch and drool. Vet gave her a shot of benedryl. From that point on i refused and further vaccines or rabies. Its a law to have pets get rabies shots. No vet reported me for that. She lived for 9 more years with no vaccines. Died at 17.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I'd be afraid to forego rabies prevention entirely just because it's such a devastating illness, but of course severe allergies are dangerous too. Is it possible to try a rabies vaccine by a different manufacturer to see if your dog has the same reaction? Sometimes that helps. Otherwise you could ask your vet if there are alternative methods.
There are many vets that are trying to get it approved so that checking titers to see if immunity is present can be used as a viable alternative if the animal has a reaction to vaccines. It’s a simple fairly inexpensive blood test that can say definitively if the animal is immune to rabies.

It’s not uncommon in humans or in animals for terrible side effects to present themselves. It’s was hotly debated whether thimerosol in human vaccines was responsible for the rise in autism spectrum disorders. And I can’t count the number of children I vaccinated that developed febrile seizures from DTAP vaccine.

I did titers on my Doberman and from one injection, he had immunity at least six years. Current research shows that most dogs display an immunity up to seven years from just one, one year vaccine. I really wish the laws would catch up and accept labwork as proof of immunity. Think about it, we need a tetanus booster once every ten years. Imagine what it does to their systems to give them the vaccines over and over needlessly.

I would never recommend leaving an animal without immunity to such an awful illness. But I personally believe that only doing it when necessary because they have lost immunity is in their best interest.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I'll talk to the vet next time to see about premedication before the rabies shot or maybe a titer test. Will also bring her in before a Friday appointment for sure.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your dog had a bad reaction. One of my dogs needed to be exempted from rabies vaccines and actually any vaccines due to his health issues. My vet wrote a letter and I had to present that to the licensing place for approval. Since they are usually given every 3 years, unless it's different where you live, you don't have to worry about anything yet. You could have titers done in place of other vaccines. I do that with one of my dogs and may start doing that with the other ones, too.
Do a search for Dr. Jean Dodds and read some of her articles about vaccinations and also check out her vaccination protocol.

Last edited:

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
She looks back to normal now. No chipmunk look now. I will probably give one more dose of Chlortabs tonight just to be safe. Thanks to everyone for your help and input.

Last edited: