• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quite the adventure

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
The day started after not being able to sleep last night because of the excitement in getting her. I drove the half hour to my friend's house as she was gonna drive up with me to keep me company. Leaving at 10am we arrived at the Petmart in the midway point city at 2pm. We spent about a half hour there talking and then I picked up some dog food as I had a coupon. When we l;eave we decide that on the way home we should take a slight detour to the town I visit quite often to go to a bird store and go to dinner. We arrive at the store at about 4:30 and spend half and hour there and I bought some toys. (no i did not take bird into store). At this point it is getting dark and all I had to eat that day was a bite of an apple that I had brought for Gabby and a handful of dried cranberries. We eat fairly quickly and get on the road knowing it will take 2.5 hours to get back. I decide to fill up my tank since I had just used a quarter tank and didnt want to have to worry about any incidents on the way home. About an hour into the ride on a long strip of highway I get a blow out. I had trouble changing the tire so I call for assistance which took about half an hour. Then I was told that I could not drive above 50 in the spare. So while i should have been home by 10 meant I did not get home til midnight.

Now about her. She was eager for loving and affection. Ate her apple and seed and pellet well on the trip. She has not had a bath in well over a month and is underweight. She loves fresh food but was not given anything to help put on weight. Her beak is very odd. It is narrower, clearer and oddly shaped. I am not sure if she had a trauma, poor diet or filed it down by rubbing non stop on cage bars. She is in smaller sleep cage now and will be moved to permanant cage tomorrow. Didnt want to put her in a large cage and then cover her up and have her thrash around. Night lights are on.
Of course I am home now and very tired but cannot sleep.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well good luck and hope she finds her place and fits in well. We drove about 3 hours to go meet and pick up Dobby from Portland to Seattle. Got lost, figured it out, then drove home in afternoon traffic, took over 7 hours round trip. Dobby seems happy in his new flock after a few years now. He has picked my sister and chases her all over the house.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Glad you made it home safely. I hope she settles in well for you.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Glad you made it home ok. Looking forward to seeing pix of the new girl.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Javi I'm so happy you picked her up!! I KNEW YOU SHOULD!!! She needs you!!! She's malnourished and probably has not had any attention or loving until you came along. HOORAY FOR YOU!!!

I knew it would be like this. You are so awesome!!! Thank you for saving her!! I love happy endings.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Sorry to hear of your rough trip. So stressful.
Congrats to you and Gabby on a new happier healthier start!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that she is now in a loving home. Looking forward to photos and reading more about her.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
She did well today. She is not a big eater but liked some of the fresh food, volkman and almond in shell. She picked on some of the pellets. I sprayed her down this morning and she was soaked in seconds. Over a month with no bath meant she wasnt water proof. She did not preen for very long and sat damp. I am thinking she has not been misted in so long that she doesnt remember how to dry off. Well she's gonna learn how to be a bird again.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to hear she's eating and has had a shower! I hope you'll be very happy together.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Glad to hear she’s doing okay!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
SO glad you got her home! I can't wait to see pics - how does she like her new cage? Did you have any trouble transferring her from the travel cage? :heart:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I just opened her travel door and she walked into other. I did leave cage open for a while to see if she wanted to come out, she didn't. I am gonna send a blood card off this week to confirm gender. Cant wait to get home to see how she ate and all.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am happy she is doing well:heart: I hope she settles in nicely!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
She is doing well, but still very stand offish. I open her cage and she came out for a minute yesterday but then ran back in. Not a big eater which I do not like. She loves to hang upside down. The thing that gets me though is that she is not a preener. I give her bath in the morning and when I am putting them to bed at night she is still a little damp. I feel so bad that she is not enjoying what birds consider one of the best things in life.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so glad you got her! I'm sure under your care, she'll become a "bird" again. :)

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
When Lurch first got here he came out the night he was home, once when my mom came over, then stayed in for 6 months so some Pi's just have to work through their baggage with us supporting and being patient so just give her some time and she'll decided when she feels ready to come out.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Well I forced her out of the cage today. She did some flying around and except for a few minutes where she was on my shoulder (plotting her escape). I moved the food bowls to where she likes to sit and hoping that will encourage her to eat more. She has started destroying a dowel, so that's a plus. All birds just got a bath and again she just sits there wet.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby so far, at least with me, hates baths, or at least isn't excited about them like most pi's. He does however, after being a bit put out, get comfy and preen and snooze so I bet with time and after watching the rest of your flock she'll start preening. Destroying a dowel is play so yes that's a big plus, she'll get there but they all are their own souls so maybe she'll do some things her own way.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Congratulations Javi............I'm sure she will become more comfortable over time and maybe even learn to enjoy a bath. Maybe this summer if she can sit outside in a travel cage and bask in the sun after a bath, for a little while, she will enjoy it.