• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quick question

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
Niffy and I are getting along really well. He steps up on my finger on his own will, he lets me scratch his head. Now.. I can’t really confirm if he is male or female. I’m waiting for the first molt. But the breeder did say it is a male. Niffy does have some stripes on his tail feathers but i think it’s only his baby feathers. Dunno. He still doesn’t whistle, only chirp. He doesn’t do heart wings or take any interest in mirrors. He’s only 5 months so maybe it’s still not time for him yet to do that.
Another thing I noticed is when I scratch Niffy’s head, he does these soft chirps. He doesn’t bend over or present his went like females in heat would do.. besides.. he’s so young!! Is this sound a baby thing too?
D47C76F1-4A50-4C9E-9C8C-F0155563C5A9.jpeg
^^puffy little bird

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Behavior wise, your chick does sound female! Unless you just have a late bloomer! Do you know why the breeder said male? Any idea on coloration of parents?

I don't recommend mirrors anyway, and that blue perch looks to be too small for him/her.

I'd lean towards female simply due to coloration, but that could easily change depending on parents mutations.... in which case, you'd have to wait for the first molt to be sure.

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
Behavior wise, your chick does sound female! Unless you just have a late bloomer! Do you know why the breeder said male? Any idea on coloration of parents?

I don't recommend mirrors anyway, and that blue perch looks to be too small for him/her.

I'd lean towards female simply due to coloration, but that could easily change depending on parents mutations.... in which case, you'd have to wait for the first molt to be sure.
I am trying to find out the mutation of the parents. It’s only a temporary perch, the store I go to doesn’t have much of a selection. I’m planning to get real wood perches (safe for birds ofc)
I planned to get a male but I don’t really care if Niffy turns out to be a girl :) I’ll love Niffy no matter what

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm leaning towards a girl... but you never know
.sure is cute!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Another thing I noticed is when I scratch Niffy’s head, he does these soft chirps. He doesn’t bend over or present his went like females in heat would do.. besides.. he’s so young!! Is this sound a baby thing too?
Does it sound like this?
Vocaroo | Voice message

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
Does it sound like this?
Vocaroo | Voice message
A little bit. But Niffy doesn’t make those sounds all the time, only when I approach him for a scratch or when I stop scratching him. He looks like he really enjoys it. He closes his eyes. It’s really cute. I doubt I’m sexually arousing him. It really doesn’t look or feel like it

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
Whenever I move a finger while he’s on me he does these sounds. And when I played the video back, Niffy responded the same. What does this mean?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Doesn't exactly seem like your tiel wants scritches. If he/she makes these noises when you move, it might be that he doesn't want you to move and it bugs him because he's perfectly happy the way he is.

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
Doesn't exactly seem like your tiel wants scritches. If he/she makes these noises when you move, it might be that he doesn't want you to move and it bugs him because he's perfectly happy the way he is.
He seems to really enjoy it, he even shoved his head in my hand and asked for more. He’s weird

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
As I shared elsewhere.... yeah, birds can be weird! And give mixed signals!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
He seems to really enjoy it, he even shoved his head in my hand and asked for more. He’s weird
It honestly looked like he was trying to beak you and tell you "no". Definitely weird-looking behavior, though. I'd just take things slow if I were you. Let the bird initiate scritches (ie, let him ask you for them).

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
I have a lot of tiels. Some will give up treats for scritches. I spend the majority of time with my tiels scratching one then the next. They almost fight, and stand in line for them.
Sometimes, its like im just not doing it properly, and they'll act almost angry. Or if I stop, even for a second, they will act angry, then bend their head down, or push their head against my fingers.
Nifty is still learning to trust you. Give it time, but keep offering scritches.....he/she (I think she) will soon learn to relax more the more trusting she gets with you.
My Xander is a male emerald. I really think Nifty is a female emerald.
20180906_182233.jpg