• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quick Guide: Solve Your Parrot’s Screaming Problem for Good!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm a little bit disappointed.
For me this is a quick guide to silence. :smuggrin:

+
= No don't do that, but it's funny to think about.. :p

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Great article. Thanks for sharing.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I was expecting something silly from you @JLcribber. The serious post surprised me! :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for sharing that great article full of information.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for posting the link to that informative article.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My problem is Jingo will sometimes go 2 to 3 hours without a breath!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My problem is Jingo will sometimes go 2 to 3 hours without a breath!
Mr. Elvis will too- or so my fiancé tells me. Elvis doesn't do it for me. But I gave the article to Howie to read and am hoping he's going to try it....

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't have that problem.
My girls only scream if..

They see a hawk outside.
They see a bigger bird outside.
They thought that they saw a bird outside.
They wonder why their is no birds outside.
They wonder why mom is wearing earplugs.

They pretend that they saw a hawk outside because mom is taking a nap on the couch.
or flying to another room and then start to flock call to each other.
And if none of these are working because mom is smart and wearing earplugs, Eliy is landing om my shoulder and bite my ear until I woke up.
They are so cute... (when they sleep)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My budgies do not scream. If they did something would be very wrong. Good Read though. Next time someone writes about screaming parrots we can send in John.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Can I just add that it's not the parrot that has the screaming "problem" but the human.

In Peru the indigenous word for macaw is "Guacamayo," which, in literal translation, means "Screaming along the river."

Screaming should not be looked at as a way for the bird to "get" something, a type of frivolous (spoiled brat) reward, but as a way to remove or alleviate something. Screaming is a reaction to an emotional distress, an innate need (as necessary as food and water) for emotional well-being is not being met. Parrots are social animals and as such their need for social attachment is hard-wired. In my next post I'll simply cut and paste something I had posted in the past addressing the typical "behaviorist" approach to screaming. It's gathered, as you can see, from various sources and similarities I've noticed. It's long but considering it's well sourced, may be worthwhile....

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
As new parents, me and my wife get parenting e-mails and today my wife got one on why it's wrong to let baby’s “cry it out,” in other words, to ignore cries for attention so that the behavior extinguishes. The reasoning for why it's wrong to do this with human children also applies to other animals, such as birds (Gifts of the Crow covers the avain aspect of this for those interested). If one focuses on the bolded parts it’ll sound very familiar……

Parent: “He’s got to learn that we don’t come to him every time he cries. Janet totally indulged him those first few months.” Keith continues, “But we are in charge. We are the parents. He’s got to learn his place.”

Relative: “You mean, you purposefully let him cry…”

Tyler’s little body, covered in sweat and tears, soon exhausts itself from relentlessly crying out in panic, anger, and despair. Due to the mechanism of self-preservation, his body shuts down his conscious self and falls into a forced sleep.

CIO, also known as “controlled crying,” is an “extinction method” of ending – “extinguishing” --the cuing for attention, help, nourishment, hydration, support, and loving, physical comfort that is programmed into the biology of young mammals. (neurochemically it works the same in birds so maybe it should read young vertebrates)

While popularized by Dr. Richard Ferber in his 1985 book, “Solve Your Child’s Sleep Problem,” advocates of CIO date back to pre-Ferber days. In his 1946 classic entitled “Baby and Child Care,” Dr. Benjamin Spock advised parents to "say good night affectionately but firmly, walk out of the room, and don't go back."

This “don’t go back” approach perfectly describes CIO in its “unmodified” or “total extinction” form. Some pediatricians who subscribe to this method of CIO advise parents to shut the door to their baby or toddler’s room and not open it again for a full twelve-hour period. The only caveat to this involves assuming nighttime parenting duties if the child is physically ill. Yet, throwing up due to the stress of nocturnal abandonment doesn’t constitute a sign of physical illness and parents are advised by proponents of “total extinction” CIO to clean up the vomit promptly without touching the child or displaying emotion.

In its “modified extinction” form, CIO advocates argue that parents should leave a baby or toddler alone to cry to sleep. But this stressful experience is best practiced when punctuated with intermittent, and increasingly less frequent, check-ins from the caregiver. The intention of such visits is to persuade the little one verbally, or with minimal physical touch, that their nighttime expression of distress, thirst, and/or panic will not lead to the comfort being sought.

In both methods of CIO described above, babies and/or toddlers are repeatedly left alone to fall into cycles of sleep. Over time, they learn not to signal to their caregivers as the bonds of attachment fray.

Recent research conducted at the University of North Texas clearly reveals that the (stress hormone) cortisol levels of babies left alone to CIO remain at unnaturally high levels even days after they learn to stop crying/cuing for help. However, the cortisol levels of mothers --which register as abnormally high when their babies cry -- return to normal levels in the silence. At this point, mothers and babies are no longer biologically in sync. The mothers assume all is well; they interpret their babies’ silence as proof that their little ones have learned to self-soothe. Yet, physiologically babies can’t self-soothe. Rather, CIO teaches them to panic silently and detach from those whom nature intends for them to trust.

Sarah Ockwell-Smith, a psychotherapist, doula, and UK-based author of the soon-to-be published book, “The Gentle Sleep Book: A Guide for Calm Babies, Toddlers and Pre-Schoolers” argues that the erroneous pursuit of a baby that self-soothes profoundly misleads parents. She writes: “You are categorically not leaving your baby to ‘soothe,’ you are leaving him to cry, even if it is only for periods of two minutes at a time… Is it possible to train a baby or a toddler to not call out for their parents when they are in need? Yes, it is, but this is categorically not indicative of an infant who is happy, calm and soothed.”

http://www.phillyvoice.com/screaming-sleep/
"Recent research conducted at the University of North Texas clearly reveals that the (stress hormone) cortisol levels of babies left alone to CIO remain at unnaturally high levels even days after they learn to stop crying/cuing for help. However, the cortisol levels of mothers --which register as abnormally high when their babies cry -- return to normal levels in the silence. At this point, mothers and babies are no longer biologically in sync."

I want to compare this quote from the above linked article on human children to what is said in relation to birds by scientists.....

From "The Bird of Prey Management Series: Healthcare" found at Mike'sFalconry.com:

Why is stress bad for birds?

"When birds are stressed they release a hormone called cortisol which depresses the immune system leaving the bird open to infections which under normal circumstances would probably be harmless. In the wild, stressful events are normally sporadic, and so cortisol is released only briefly. However in captivity the stressful events are normally prolonged resulting in cortisol being released continually and the birds immune function being depressed for long periods."

On the effects of social isolation, from "Gifts of the Crow," by John Marzluff and Tony Angell:

"Like food, companionship is rewarding to a social animal."

"Social isoloation is a powerful motivator. Alone, a young animal gives distress calls and seeks companionship, even if it is risky. When a social partner is found, typically a parent or sibling, is found, the cries dissipate and calm returns. Acquiring a social partner after isolation causes endorphins to be released that then bind to neurons of the septum, striatum, preoptic area, thalamus, amygdala, and hypothalamus. This opioid reward replaces emotional distress with comfort and pleasure. Endorphins are important to the organization of reward seeking behaviors like affiliation just as they are to other reward-seeking behaviors like foraging, sex, and play. A young lone crow or raven would be highly motivated to alleviate its stress by finding a buddy."

The book makes comparisons to parrots as similar in intelligence throughout, for example: "In fact, parrots' forebrains outsize even the biggest brained corvids."

As vertebrates (and related) we have homologous similarities with regards to our needs as social animals - among other emotions. The highly social nature of parrots indicates that the advice given by parrot "behaviorists" (to ignore unwanted calls for attention so that they "extinguish") is actually advice that is contradictory to captive avian welfare.

I also recommend Temple Grandin PhD's, and Jonathan Balcombe PhD's books as they cover similar subject matter.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
As you can see, the latter part of the post addresses screaming in birds. I think it's important to remember that the various people out there marketing themselves as parrot "behavorists" are in actuality animal "trainers." They work with operant conditioning. But "training" or in it's broadest sense, learning, is just one aspect of behavior as a whole. And while animal training is easy to grasp, even for a child, when animal "trainers" overstep their bounds and assume expertise in behavior, they are formulating their own (non-expert) theories that should be taken as such (whether we find them helpful or not).

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
This should a sticky becuz we get alot questions about screaming parrots. I'm lucky my two only have early morning screaming, mostly Bebe.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
As new parents, me and my wife get parenting e-mails and today my wife got one on why it's wrong to let baby’s “cry it out,” in other words, to ignore cries for attention so that the behavior extinguishes. The reasoning for why it's wrong to do this with human children also applies to other animals, such as birds (Gifts of the Crow covers the avain aspect of this for those interested). If one focuses on the bolded parts it’ll sound very familiar……

Parent: “He’s got to learn that we don’t come to him every time he cries. Janet totally indulged him those first few months.” Keith continues, “But we are in charge. We are the parents. He’s got to learn his place.”

Relative: “You mean, you purposefully let him cry…”

Tyler’s little body, covered in sweat and tears, soon exhausts itself from relentlessly crying out in panic, anger, and despair. Due to the mechanism of self-preservation, his body shuts down his conscious self and falls into a forced sleep.

CIO, also known as “controlled crying,” is an “extinction method” of ending – “extinguishing” --the cuing for attention, help, nourishment, hydration, support, and loving, physical comfort that is programmed into the biology of young mammals. (neurochemically it works the same in birds so maybe it should read young vertebrates)

While popularized by Dr. Richard Ferber in his 1985 book, “Solve Your Child’s Sleep Problem,” advocates of CIO date back to pre-Ferber days. In his 1946 classic entitled “Baby and Child Care,” Dr. Benjamin Spock advised parents to "say good night affectionately but firmly, walk out of the room, and don't go back."

This “don’t go back” approach perfectly describes CIO in its “unmodified” or “total extinction” form. Some pediatricians who subscribe to this method of CIO advise parents to shut the door to their baby or toddler’s room and not open it again for a full twelve-hour period. The only caveat to this involves assuming nighttime parenting duties if the child is physically ill. Yet, throwing up due to the stress of nocturnal abandonment doesn’t constitute a sign of physical illness and parents are advised by proponents of “total extinction” CIO to clean up the vomit promptly without touching the child or displaying emotion.

In its “modified extinction” form, CIO advocates argue that parents should leave a baby or toddler alone to cry to sleep. But this stressful experience is best practiced when punctuated with intermittent, and increasingly less frequent, check-ins from the caregiver. The intention of such visits is to persuade the little one verbally, or with minimal physical touch, that their nighttime expression of distress, thirst, and/or panic will not lead to the comfort being sought.

In both methods of CIO described above, babies and/or toddlers are repeatedly left alone to fall into cycles of sleep. Over time, they learn not to signal to their caregivers as the bonds of attachment fray.

Recent research conducted at the University of North Texas clearly reveals that the (stress hormone) cortisol levels of babies left alone to CIO remain at unnaturally high levels even days after they learn to stop crying/cuing for help. However, the cortisol levels of mothers --which register as abnormally high when their babies cry -- return to normal levels in the silence. At this point, mothers and babies are no longer biologically in sync. The mothers assume all is well; they interpret their babies’ silence as proof that their little ones have learned to self-soothe. Yet, physiologically babies can’t self-soothe. Rather, CIO teaches them to panic silently and detach from those whom nature intends for them to trust.

Sarah Ockwell-Smith, a psychotherapist, doula, and UK-based author of the soon-to-be published book, “The Gentle Sleep Book: A Guide for Calm Babies, Toddlers and Pre-Schoolers” argues that the erroneous pursuit of a baby that self-soothes profoundly misleads parents. She writes: “You are categorically not leaving your baby to ‘soothe,’ you are leaving him to cry, even if it is only for periods of two minutes at a time… Is it possible to train a baby or a toddler to not call out for their parents when they are in need? Yes, it is, but this is categorically not indicative of an infant who is happy, calm and soothed.”

http://www.phillyvoice.com/screaming-sleep/
"Recent research conducted at the University of North Texas clearly reveals that the (stress hormone) cortisol levels of babies left alone to CIO remain at unnaturally high levels even days after they learn to stop crying/cuing for help. However, the cortisol levels of mothers --which register as abnormally high when their babies cry -- return to normal levels in the silence. At this point, mothers and babies are no longer biologically in sync."

I want to compare this quote from the above linked article on human children to what is said in relation to birds by scientists.....

From "The Bird of Prey Management Series: Healthcare" found at Mike'sFalconry.com:

Why is stress bad for birds?

"When birds are stressed they release a hormone called cortisol which depresses the immune system leaving the bird open to infections which under normal circumstances would probably be harmless. In the wild, stressful events are normally sporadic, and so cortisol is released only briefly. However in captivity the stressful events are normally prolonged resulting in cortisol being released continually and the birds immune function being depressed for long periods."

On the effects of social isolation, from "Gifts of the Crow," by John Marzluff and Tony Angell:

"Like food, companionship is rewarding to a social animal."

"Social isoloation is a powerful motivator. Alone, a young animal gives distress calls and seeks companionship, even if it is risky. When a social partner is found, typically a parent or sibling, is found, the cries dissipate and calm returns. Acquiring a social partner after isolation causes endorphins to be released that then bind to neurons of the septum, striatum, preoptic area, thalamus, amygdala, and hypothalamus. This opioid reward replaces emotional distress with comfort and pleasure. Endorphins are important to the organization of reward seeking behaviors like affiliation just as they are to other reward-seeking behaviors like foraging, sex, and play. A young lone crow or raven would be highly motivated to alleviate its stress by finding a buddy."

The book makes comparisons to parrots as similar in intelligence throughout, for example: "In fact, parrots' forebrains outsize even the biggest brained corvids."

As vertebrates (and related) we have homologous similarities with regards to our needs as social animals - among other emotions. The highly social nature of parrots indicates that the advice given by parrot "behaviorists" (to ignore unwanted calls for attention so that they "extinguish") is actually advice that is contradictory to captive avian welfare.

I also recommend Temple Grandin PhD's, and Jonathan Balcombe PhD's books as they cover similar subject matter.
I just wanted to say "Congratulations!" on the new little human baby!

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
My solution to a screaming parrot would be....not to get one.
I like chirping. Am good with budgies, and the canary (who is in molt now? and has been rather quiet).

We own a Chiahuahua.
She makes quite enough shrill noise as it is.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
@Mockinbirdiva

Thank you so much! I was actually quoting a post of mine from a while back, my little girl just turned 6 on August 2nd. Watching her grow and change is such a joy (even though it's happening a bit too fast for my taste). I can already see myself missing these years of my life. I'm so proud of her, she's intelligent, sweet, and has empathy.

0210181434.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@LaSelva, your daughter is just so darn cute :heart: That is a lovely picture of her and your bird :)