• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about this flying thing

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Now that Bella can fly, she doesn't. She still wants to be carried around (which is why she is called the Princess). Once she is with me, she won't go back to her cage by herself and she won't fly to me unless I have something that she is interested in. She flew into a bowl of popcorn the other night. What am I doing wrong? Also, do they make vegetables that taste like Cheerios and popcorn? Because she will eat these things with no problem.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Have you tried crushing up popcorn or cheerios into veggies, etc? :)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some birdies don't feel the need to fly. Only half of my birdies really care about flying. The rest only do it when startled.

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
It took Joey awhile to start flying around when his wings grew back. He is much better at it and flies around the house following me.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Yup, I have two flighted birds. Maverick flies all over the place; Mopar could care less. :)

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Lafebers has Parrot Popcorn Nutri-Berries' they are Valentine tested and approved

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If a bird has been clipped long enough, they may realize that they can't fly and wont even attempt to fly even with a full set of flights. Being clipped and trying to fly can also be a traumatic experience for birds.

Flying is instinctual, but knowing how to fly is learned. Flying up is easy, flying down is difficult. Birds can be afraid of heights, which is silly to think, but if they don't learn that they can fly down then if they fly up, they may "freeze" because they don't know how to come back down.

The best way to teach a bird to fly is to encourage the bird to fly *SHORT* distances, which may even start out as a hop! From the cage to you, 1" away, or from you to the cage, 1" away. Use favorite rewards/millet to encourage the behavior, and slowly increase the distance.