• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about nesting habits

Rana Asim Wajid

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hello.I have a couple of questions for the pros here:

1) Do male and female lovebirds BOTH build nest ? I have a pair and they are building a nest together....is this normal ?

2) Is the nest building behavior of female different from male ?

3) Also will two male lovebirds build a nest together if no female is available ?

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I don't think I'm a lovebird Pro, but I'm online, so here goes:

There are 6 species of lovebirds, so we have to be careful about generalisation. I have 24 Fischers, so that's the limit of my knowledge.

Male and Female do build the nest, but the female makes the final design decisions

I havent seen two males attempt a nest, but I wouldnt be surprised, if there are no females about.

JP

Rana Asim Wajid

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I don't think I'm a lovebird Pro, but I'm online, so here goes:

There are 6 species of lovebirds, so we have to be careful about generalisation. I have 24 Fischers, so that's the limit of my knowledge.

Male and Female do build the nest, but the female makes the final design decisions

I havent seen two males attempt a nest, but I wouldnt be surprised, if there are no females about.

JP
my lovebirds are black mask yellow chest lovebird aka Black Mask personata Yellow Collared

So nest building doesn't necessarily mean eggs are on the way ?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm afraid my knowledge on lovebirds is limited. @Monica ?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm going with Irishj9's reply! My experience with lovebirds is limited to a hen I had for a short while, and what limited knowledge I have, both males and females can build nests but hens are *GENERALLY* better at it than males are. This means there will be some exceptions and a rare male can be just as good as a hen!

Even with opposite sex birds, there's still no guarantee that there will be eggs, or that the eggs will be fertile! Inexperienced parents, especially, may have some goof ups in the beginning as they learn how to become parents.

Rana Asim Wajid

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
This is the anwer I really would love to be answered "will two male lovebirds build a nest together if no female is available ?"

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If they can figure out how to do it, then yes.

DNA sexing is probably a good idea to do if you can get it done.

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
Both males and females may try to build a nest. It depends largely on the individual birds too.

I have more experiences with hens - I've had 5 females and 1 male. The male was bonded with a female right when I got him, but after she passed away I never really gave him the conditions to become hormonal again. He was less likely to build nests, but he used to try and help. He was less efficient at shredding and would often end up with little chewed up pieces instead of those longer pieces of paper my females were able to elegantly and immaculately tuck into their rumps. Bless his little heart, he did try. He only tried when his mate was around and initiated nest building though.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My moms male built a nest. He didnt put stuck in his feathers like a hen would be he'd carry things in his beak and help his cockatiel mate (both were handraised and both were very tame) build her nest. She'd ches the pieces he'd bring and well..he'd gather materials. Lol