• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions About Linnies and Their Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBS

Jogging around the block
Are linnies healthy or hardy types of birds? Linnies are the only small bird that we're looking into now that my son's parrotlet died last Saturday. I'm very reluctant to get a small bird again because it is harder to treat and diagnose the smaller birds. It's harder to take blood, give meds, keep them warm, and etc.. Anyway, are there people here with older linnies that have stayed healthy?

I like linnies for a lot of reasons, and I think I'll be okay with the big poops now that I have a green cheek. I'm concerned about overbred or inbred linnies regardless of whether I go with a rescue/rehome bird or a baby bird from a breeder.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I do not know and would like to know the answer also a good question

christypooh402

Walking the driveway
I'd like to know too, I just recently discovered them and I think they are adorable!

MBS

Jogging around the block
I asked this question a while ago on a linnie forum too, but only one person replied. They told me that linnies are normally healthy birds.

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
As far as I know they are pretty healthy birds. I think a lot of that has to do with them not being as popular as say, parrotlets, when it comes to small birds. Parrotlets have been bred (and inbred) so much IMO there's a genetic weakness in some of the lines, especially some of the color mutations. Just my opinion, though, I'm not as familiar with the Linnies.

MBS

Jogging around the block
I heard from a new parrotlet breeder that she has lost a few parrotlets over the last couple of weeks. She has been breeding cockatiels, english budgies, and lovies for a few years so she's not new to breeding and handraising. She thinks they are fragile based on her experience. I've heard the same from many other people that have lost their parrotlets. I really hope that linnies never become that inbred or overbred.

Status
Not open for further replies.