• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question for Breeders who ship their birds

Mallie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
So I finally found a Hawkheaded parrot. I have been looking for a Hawkhead for over 2 years. She is 4 years old and in Ontario and I am in BC. My mom is willing to go see her for me this Sunday.

She looks very healthy in the pictures her current owner has sent me. Her feathers are shiny, smooth and there are no stress bars that I can see. In the pictures she is allowing him to hold up a wing so she is obviously comfortable with people. I trust my mom to hold her and interact with her when she goes to see her this Sunday. I will probably be on the phone with my mom while she is there.

Now I just need to figure out the best and safest way to get her home. Is it too cold to have her sent over this time of year? (Dec/Jan) Can she fly with my mom in the cabin if my mom comes to visit? My mom is willing to hold on to her until either she comes to visit in the spring or when I fly to Ontario in June to visit.

What companies are the best to ship with?
What do I need to know about shipping parrots?
Does she have to be vet checked before going on the plane? I am going to have her to an Avian Vet no matter what, just not sure if the airline needs proof of her being healthy.

I have a few breeders in mind that I can try to contact for information on shipping birds. Just thought I would ask on here as well.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Shipped a bird in US but CA is cold. If you can take her in the cabin guess it would be best.
They do ship them in climate controlled O2 compartments but you do have to be careful when they get off the plane or change planes that they are not exposed to the cold.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on finding a bird. :) You have to check with the individual airline. Some, like Delta I believe, will let the bird fly in the cabin. Others will not and will put them in cargo. I also believe the bird has to be taken out of the cage to go through security, but I may be wrong on that.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The rules for shipping in Canada might be different from the rules for shipping in the US. I've used Delta and United and have never had a problem. I've always shipped in the cargo area which is generally fine because it is climate controlled but the problem is once they get off the plane and are on the tarmac, hence we tend not to ship birds in the winter or summer. It has to be a certain temperature outside. Both airlines will let you bring pets on board but there can only be so many pets in the cabin, so you have to plan ahead of time and your carrier has to be of a certain size so it fits under the seat. I'm assuming this would be the same for Canada as well. I would call the airlines in Canada and inquire. In the states, you do not need a health certificate for birds but once again, this may be different for Canada. Calling the airlines will be your best bet. Breeders don't always know the ins and outs, the airlines will generally be able to give you the information you need.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
I have been looking for a bird & some of the breeders in the US say they will not ship if it is below 50F Weather permitting.
I don't know about CA.
Great question.
Good Luck

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I didn't ship but I received Bella in February when it was cold. I used Delta, she flew in the cabin, and arrived safe and sound. That is when she figured out that she was a Princess. The plane ride cost more than Bella herself but she is worth every penny. I'm just glad that she didn't want to go first class.