• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about smells

stawbee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Orit
Hi! I live with my mom and her husband, I plan to get a cockatiel when I'm more independent but there's something that's bothering me, my step father is smoking a lot, mainly in his private restroom (I did ask him to stop multiple times, didn't help) and only a wall separate his restroom from my room, the cockatiel will only be in my room, but there's sometimes smell of tobacco and smoking in my room because of that, there's never actual smoke! Also, the smell disappear after a few minutes. Is this dangerous for the bird? What can I do?

Last edited:

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Yes it is dangerous for a bird and you. Wait until you move out to get a bird. The smell (stink) doesnt just go away. No wall is going to stop the smoke. It gets everywhere whether it be under doors , opening and closing of doors or through the heating/cooling system. Im a smoker and i never ever smoke in the house.

Last edited by a moderator:

stawbee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Orit
Yes it is dangerous for a bird and you. Wait until you move out to get a bird. The smell (stink) doesnt just go away. No wall is going to stop the smoke. It gets everywhere whether it be under doors , opening and closing of doors or through the heating/cooling system. Im a smoker and i never ever smoke in the house.
There is no way around it? He doesn't smoke cigarettes, he uses a pipe.

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris

unfortunately not, friend. smoke or any sort of gas in the air is harmful to our feathered friends. their lungs are more susceptible to diseases and infection. even the smell carries a little bit of toxin in it. just to be safe, i would have a sit down with your SD, if at all possible. explain that the bird's lungs are fragile and are like glass. he needs to do his smoking somewhere else, far far away from your feathered friend. :c i am sorry

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Im a smoker and i never ever smoke in the house
I feel like there’s been studies of smoke clinging to clothing giving people (kids, I believe) problems. Third hand smoke, I think it’s called.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Pipes, cigarettes, cigars its all the same.
I feel like there’s been studies of smoke clinging to clothing giving people (kids, I believe) problems. Third hand smoke, I think it’s called.
Anything is possible but if anyone is going to that extreme to think about that, i would hope they’re thinking about whats in the water and food as well.