• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about rehoming your bird.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How well do you think your birds would adapt to being rehomed if you could not keep them? I feel my most complicated bird would be Mabel, she is such a particular bird and not very friendly to most people. I would have to let Mabel choose her owner, on condition that they were also somebody who was committed and had the necessary resources to provide for her. Emma my grey would be quite adaptable to any home, however I would not be able to just hand her over to anyone simply because they had the resources, bird experience. I would want her to go to a home where she would be ADORED and where there would be a continuation in helping her to thrive and be the best that she can be. I would not want her to be in a setting where she was just another bird among several others. Sometimes I feel the ideal situation would be with a bird saavy couple who very much want to have their own children, but can't. Yes, Emma is the apple of my eye! My pionus would be quite adaptable and go with the flow. My red bellied would be content with anyone who did not impose their own expectations on him and was content with appreciating what he can offer. He is hands off and likes it that way!

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I don't have any concerns about my boys going to new owners I know they'd adapt easily but they are just a small budgie and canary not the large parrots like your birds that have the bigger personality's.

I understand exactly how you feel concerned about the care of your birds I too would want my birds to go to someone who truly would adore them and spoil them with the special foods and treats and time I give and spend with them daily. I would want to know their cages are spotless and they have their baths regularly and free flight time is a must.

Seriously I doubt anyone would be able to care for my birds the way I do and I know you feel the same way.. I have worried about this and fear if something should happen to me what type of life will they be going to.

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I think Kiwi would adapt well with anyone. He is just so friendly and loving that he content with pretty much anyone.

Charlie I believe would have a hard time. He doesn't like other birds, but at the same time is cautious of people. He loves me, and will sit with me and ask for me to scritch him with my nose - he doesn't like hands. I think it takes a certain person to be able to appreciate Charlie's unique needs. I think a lot of people would probably dismiss him, as he isn't as social as other tiels. I'd be really scared of someone just locking him away in his cage and forgetting about him - which is how it was before he came into my home.

Einstein is the bird most bonded to me. He lives and breathes for me. He is fierxly protective of me. I honestly think it would take him a long time to accept someone new into his life.

The budgies probably wouldn't miss me too much. They WOULD miss their play areas andfly time.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I could not answer this it hurt's to much to think it would ever happen
The same hear so you are not alone.
I have left my birds to my wife and my Children if I pass so I know they will be cared for
I have a will/bequeathing so if anything happens to me someone will take care of Eloy. I have also write a "taking care of guide" so they will know as much as possible of our routines.
But my dream is that Eloy can travel to @saroj12 paradise and be a part of her flock. :heart:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT NOTHING ELSE SINSE GETTING MANGO HAVE HAD TO IM 82 NEXT BD SO IT IS FRONT UP THERE IM AFRAID HIS HOLE LIFE STYLE WILL CHANGE WHEN I PASS ON HE WILL NEVER BE CAGE FREE LIKE HE HAS BEEN ALL HIS LIFE MY SON GLEN IS IN MANY WAYS BONDED TO HIM BUTI ALSO KNOW HIS LIFE IS COMPLUCATED SO WILL MANGO BE GOING TO HIM I DONT KNOW WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL TRULY HAPPEN WILL BE OUT OF MY HANDS . GLEN KNOWS TO CONTACT AA IF NEED BE BUT LETS FACE IT THERE ISNT ANY ONE ALIVE THAT WOULD BE SILLIE ENOUGH TO LET A BIRD MAKE HIS OWN DECISIONS AS I HAVE BUT MANGO WAS RAISED BY ME TO BY GIVING HIN RESPECT LOL IF I WANT HIM IN HIS CAGE I PLAN IT I LIKE A FOOL ASK HIM I HAVE NEVER FORCED HIM ON A THING HES BEEN A GREAT BIRD TO SHARE SPACE WITH HE HAS RESPECTED EVERY THING IN OUR HOME OTHER THAN MY WHEELCHAIRS AND SCOOTER WHICH TAKE ME OUT

WHEN I PASS ON ALL I CAN HOPE FOR IS LIFE IS GOOD TO MANGO CAUSE HE DOES DESIRVE THE BEST THERE IS
OK IM OIT OF HERE CANT SEE TO TYPE

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
The same hear so you are not alone.

I have a will/bequeathing so if anything happens to me someone will take care of Eloy. I have also write a "taking care of guide" so they will know as much as possible of our routines.
But my dream is that Eloy can travel to @saroj12 paradise and be a part of her flock. :heart:

Living with Saroj's flock would be heaven for any bird. :heart:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As long as the cockatiels were together and not in a loud house with kids and dogs and cats, they would be fine. Wasabi would require a very understanding home with people who would absolutely have to have Amazon experience and experience with difficult birds would be ideal. It would help if his new person was hard of hearing. If he had all that, he could adapt just fine.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think that all of mine would eventually adapt. I certainly hope that I have a good 25 years of life left in me before they have to be rehomed.

My youngest son would probably take them, as he has a great relationship with all 9 of my babies.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:heart: Fortunately, Elvis ADORES my oldest daughter and visa versa..she doesnt want kids so If something happened to me that I could no longer take care of him, she would step up to the plate and he would be her baby.:)..

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I've thought of that sometimes but I think with the correct home, they would be okay. Although the love triangle gang may have to have a special kind of home. Not sure I would do well without my babies...

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
You know, I think it depends so much on who they end up with.

I could see Peanut doing well or very poorly depending on the person.
If she ended up with someone who respected and understood her territorial instincts and does not believe in the concept of "showing dominance" over your animals, and someone who was willing to spend lots of time with her in an only bird home I think she would do well once she adjusted and was able to move on from the loss of her old home/person. Especially if her new owner was female.
If she ended up with some jerk who tries to "dominate" her and does not respect her wild instincts, that person is going to get bit 20 times a day and Peanut is going to be on edge and miserable all the time.

She also has not done well at all when boarded with other birds, so she may not do well in a multi-bird home even with an amazing person... which is extremely unfortunate because the people who are best with birds usually already have them and most people with lovebirds have/want more than one.
She would also be miserable as a cage ornament, but wouldn't they all?

But we are fortunate in a way that, unless something goes horribly wrong, it's extremely likely I'll outlive her. To live beyond my natural lifespan she'd have to live at least into her mid 40s and lovebird just... don't. I wish they did but honestly it'll be a blessing if she lives into her mid 20s.
But accidents happen, so it's something I've spoken about with a couple of close friends and my mother. None could keep her but we've agreed to try and help each other's animals should the worst happen.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Opa and Mera are such well behaved birds who go to anyone. Unless I'm asking them to come to me or giving them attention, then theyre one person birds. Mera more so than Opa.

Opa would do well in most cockatoo savvy homes. LARGE friendly cockatoos only. No small cockatoos. No small birds. Other large parrots depends on their age and if theyre friendly. He loves to preen other birds. But doesn't like sass. He's so much like Bokka.

Mali would also adapt well. She is a big one person bird. But when I'm not around, she goes to most women. May give some initial attitude but its more like bluffing/flirting.

Pinky would be difficult now that I know he dives bombs when upset. He hasnt done this behavior since October since he's been back home.

Moby would not thrive with just anyone or even cockatoo savvy people. He is very shy at first and many would say he's an "unpredictable" bird. Moby would be most difficult.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
@dolldid

Dont lose hope or stress too much. You'll live MANY MORE YEARS and know that there are quite a few members who allow their birds to live like Mango.

I applaud you for living with Mango and how he is and who he is and can be. I've often worried how I will care for my birds as I get up in the wisdom years. You show every one of us that we have the potential to do it too. Like you!

:hug8:

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do worry about my birds if something happens to me as no one will take them - any of them - as far as I know. They will be dumped off at a rescue or something. :( I think that Turnip, Beni, and even Snerky would adapt (Beni and Snerky best due to their outgoing personalities). Twinkie, for all that he's a bold boy, is also very sensitive to stress and extremely attached to me. I fear that he would really suffer and get very sick from the stress and uncertainty. Termite isn't the most robust birdy either and is also very attached to me, so I'd worry about him, too. Hopefully none of them will ever have to go through that.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
All of our littles would do fine-given a little time. It has always been a goal of mine that they are not overly dependent on any one particular person. They enjoy people -even strangers. It also makes them good birdie ambassadors when we go out visiting.
Milton is a special bird. He would be an attractive bird to have because of his speaking ability,and his overall general friendliness. But he is a Cockatoo-which presents its own challenges. We have arrangements with a nice couple who will have the option to bring Milty into their lives if we can't care for him-or pass on.
The thought of rehoming any of our birds is something that would be extremely hard to do. We do consider them our "children"....

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
MERCEDEZ THANK YOU FOR THEM KIND WORDS , THIS PAST YEAR HAS BEEN HARD I THINK BEING SHUT IN LAST WINTER WAS TO BLAM I HAVE SLOWED DOWN NOT GOOD BELEAVE ME IM A STUBERN PERSON RAISING MANGO I AM SURE I BROKE EVERY RULE IN THE BOOK , WE HAVE NO RUTEEN MANGO BLESS HIM TELLS ME WHEN HE WANTS EVERY THING AND HE GETS IT ,,LOL EVERY NIGHT I SIT IN THE DARK ALMOST AT THE COMPUTER CAUSE HE WONT SLEEP IN HIS CAGE,,LOL SLEEPS ON TOP OF DOOR CLOSER RIGHT BEHIND ME AT COMP HE WONT LET YOU USE A RADIO TV OR SOUND ON COMP , I CANT RUN HOT AND COLD WATER TOGATHER HE DOSENT LIKE THE SOUND IT MAKES HE TELLS ME WHEN HE WANTS A SHOWER LIKE ALL OF US HERE WE NOW OUR BIRDS THEY HAVE THERE WAY OF LETTING US KNOW AND YES HES SPOILT I AM SURE IF IT WASNT FOR HIM I WOULDNT BE THE PERSON I AM HE HAS TOUGHT ME A LOT AS I AM SURE YOUR BIRDS HAVE MADE YOU A BETTER MOM WE HAVE HAD TO LEARN TO HERE OUR BIRDS BY WATCHING BODY CAUSE THAT TELLS US MANY THINGS ALSO WHERE THEY ARE WHEN THEY SCREAM

MANGO IS A STRANGE BIRD STRANGE IN NOT EXPLORING NOT TOUCHING ANY THING HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I HEARD BIRD SAFE HOME WELL THERE IS NOTHING BIRD SAFE IN MY HOME
WHATEV
ER HAPPENS DOWN THE ROAD WITH ME I ONLY HOPE WHO EVER IS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET MANGO GIVES HIM TIME SPACE LETS HIM BE DOSENT TRY TO GET HIM OFF HIS THINGS OR TAKE HIM OUT OF A CAGE GIVES HIM THE TIME HE NEEDS TO WANT THEM AS I DID OTHER WISE IM AFRAID THEY WILL HAVE A BIRD THAT BITES ATTACKS CAUSE HES A REAL AMAZON WHEN HE GETS HIS GANDER UP MOST TIMES NO WARNING

I HAVE LEARNED WHAT TRIGGERS HIM OFF IF HE ATTACKS MOST TIMES I KNOW WHY , I HAVE NO FEAR OF HIM BUT I ALSO TRY NOT TO BE ATTACKED ..LOL I FOUND BY COVERING MY SELF WITH A LARGE WHITE TOWEL WORKS WONDERS HE WILL STILL DIVE BOMB ME BUT MISS ME FLY TO A TOY OR PLAY STAND THEN FLY BACK TO ME ON MY SHOULDER AND LOOK AT ME AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED
YES THROUGH MANGOS LIFE THERE WILL BE MANY CHANGES SOME GOOD BUT I CAN SEE MANY BAD ONES BUT TILL THAT HAPPENS MANGO WILL BE AS FREE AS ANY BIRD CAN BE LIVING IN A ROOM WITH ME MAKING HIS DECISIONS HAVING A CHOICE LIKE WE ALL HAVE

IM HOPPING I WILL SEE HIM HIT 15 AND UP AT LEAST GIVE HIM HOPFULY IN HIS LIFE TIME SOMETHING TO REMEMBER HES A VERY STRONG FLYER HE HAS POWER AND HE ALSO CAN SHOW LOVE

YES HAVING BIRDS DOES CHANGE A PERSONS OUT LOOK ON LIFE CAUSE WE ALL KNOW NO ONE WILL LOVE THEM AS WE DO OR BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THEM WHEN WERE GONE . IF I NEW ALL THIS BEFOR I GOT MANGO I CANT SAY I WOULDNT HAVE GOT HIM BUT AFTR I GOT HIM AT MY AGE THERES NOT A DAY GOES BUY I DONT THANK GOD FOR WAKING UP AND GIVING MORE TIME TO SPEND WITH HIM DONT BE SUPRISED IF ONE DAY YOU SEE HIM LOOKING FOR A HOME ON HERE CAUSE IM SURE IT WILL HAPPEN

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) Thanks for chiming in everyone. Very Interesting comments.