• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about my Green Cheek Conure chicks

dgrooster1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jim
Hello -- a little help please --- We have two baby chick Green Cheek Conures 4 weeks old. We have
been hand feeding for over two weeks. We keep them together ... Today --- Someone told me to separate the chicks, because will bond to each other and not bond to their human care takers. Can this be true?
The one thing I got the Conures for is the fact they are supposed to bond strong with their human owner. Someone with much better knowledge than I -- Please educate us. Thank you so very much in advance.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh gosh, please don't split them. If you are handfeeding both, I think you will all have a strong bond with both of them. I have several rehomed birds who still have a bond with me even though they have found friendship in the flock.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They will bond strongly to each other as siblings.

I've heard the same thing with dogs - that you should never adopt sibling puppies because then they have each other and may become withdrawn or unfriendly to people. It's pretty much the same thing with birds with the added risk of them possibly trying to breed later on if they are male and female.

That's not to say that they necessarily will be unfriendly. It just means you need to put in a little more work and effort to maintain a good bond with them. There are definite advantages to keeping them together; they have a constant companion/playmate; they will be less needy for attention from you; they may be a little braver about new things or places.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No reason to separate them. I never separated clutchmates until they got older and starting fighting and hurting each other and by older I mean in their teens. They remained friendly although some could be nippy but I don't believe that had anything to do with keeping them together.