• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question About Feather Cyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
My BTM baby has a small feather cyst on her head as a result of being plucked in the nest by her mama. The breeder says she had a few of these when first feathering up and all spontaneously resolved. Right now, it is not inflamed, does not appear ready to erupt (no yellow keratin visible) and does not bother her. If the feather does not break through on its own in the next week or so or it begins to cause discomfort or infection I will ask the vet to excise it, but since it is not currently causing discomfort is there anything I can try to help her resolve it on her own? I wonder if daily warm mist showers would help?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351774442.605809.jpg

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Warm showers daily is typically loved by all baby macaws:) Not sure if you can do anything right now though. I know a couple of my birds get this issue and you can't do much until it's ready. You can help it drain when the yellow keratin starts to drain. As you may know it's chunky looking and my birds love it when I get that stuff out. If its a continual problem you can have your vet show you how to take care of these feathers as they crop up.:)

Last edited:

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
Thanks, I guess I will just keep an eye on it for now then!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kita has one and both Avian Vets who have assessed it say to watch it and unless it causes a problem (irritation, infection, etc) we just leave it alone

Status
Not open for further replies.