• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

question about breathing in conure

isaaaaa

Checking out the neighborhood
hello, i have had my conure for a little over 3 years now and recently i’ve noticed his chest rising and falling frequently when he breathes, i know of respiratory infections in conures but his tail is no bobbing, he eats and drinks and poops fine, no sneezing or coughing or open beak breathing and no watery eyes, it has been going on for a few weeks and i am not sure if he needs to see a vet, what should i do

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
If I’m close enough, I can watch my parrot breathe, too. But I don’t see him gasping , I don’t hear a wheeze or click, and I don’t see his tail bob. Other signs of illness are discharge from the nostrils, changes in poop, loss of appetite, sleeping a lot, looking puffed up and lethargic, and being less active or vocal.

I’m thinking that if you don’t see those other things happening with your Conure, he’s probably ok. I can’t say for sure because I can’t observe him.

If you are really concerned, I would take your bird to be seen by a vet.

I hope he’s fine. And, welcome!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:welave:

Sorry you found us because you are worried..

Has anything changed in home,? Like useing plug ins it room freshener?

Do you notice this after activities? The increased effort ( possibly) to breathe?

What does he eat in a day?

Whenever you notice a change that is different and unusual, it's never wrong to get checked by avian veterinarian.

isaaaaa

If I’m close enough, I can watch my parrot breathe, too. But I don’t see him gasping , I don’t hear a wheeze or click, and I don’t see his tail bob. Other signs of illness are discharge from the nostrils, changes in poop, loss of appetite, sleeping a lot, looking puffed up and lethargic, and being less active or vocal.

I’m thinking that if you don’t see those other things happening with your Conure, he’s probably ok. I can’t say for sure because I can’t observe him.

If you are really concerned, I would take your bird to be seen by a vet.

I hope he’s fine. And, welcome!
thanks so much for your reply, everything else about him is completely normal and he acts how he always does, i would say the best way to describe it is seeing his chest rise and fall quickly which i never noticed before. maybe he’s always been breathing like this and i just noticed

isaaaaa

:welave:

Sorry you found us because you are worried..

Has anything changed in home,? Like useing plug ins it room freshener?

Do you notice this after activities? The increased effort ( possibly) to breathe?

What does he eat in a day?

Whenever you notice a change that is different and unusual, it's never wrong to get checked by avian veterinarian.
thanks for your reply, we don’t use air freshener or any harsh cleaning supplies because my dad hates the smell and i know they’re not good for birds, i give him lots of vegetables like carrots bell pepper spinach and things like that with some seed on top just so that he wants to eat it all and he eats those things every day

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I hope this breathing concern is just a normal thing that you’ve noticed and aren’t sure about. Yes, if you are close to a bird you can see chest ruse and fall. Birds don’t have a diaphragm like people have, so their chest has to move to fill their lungs.

My birds LOVE bell peppers, especially the seeds, and cherry tomatoes cut in half with seeds.