• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quarantine questions

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I have some various questions on quarantine that I'm sure are somewhere around here, but I haven't found...

1. Are they still considered in quarantine if the separate rooms they are in had the doors left open all day (doors that are about 4 feet apart)?

2. Are they still considered in quarantine if I forgot to change the shirt I was wearing in between bird rides?

3. Same as above if I forgot to wash my hands in between bird visits?

Yeah, between my partner and I, some mistakes were made...

Thanks for your help

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Quarantine is a "something is better than nothing" proposition. Would two different buildings be better? Sure, but most of us can't do that.

A big one is avoiding cross-contamination of fecal matter (I washed their dishes separately, for example). For airborne germs, you can only do the best you can. Viruses, for example, are not an all-or-nothing deal-- that's why we have the term "viral load". Decreasing exposure is better than nothing. I'm not sure which avian diseases are primarily airborne, in fact-- a lot of the worst ones spread primarily through physical contact. You are decreasing risk of infection a lot just by eliminating exposure to fecal matter and physical contact between birds.

Definitely wash your hands, though!

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Thank you @GreenThing !

Yes to the handwashing! I’ve been doing so well and this morning after handling little new one I got distracted and went in to step Duckie up without thinking. :oops2:
Thanks for the info. Makes me feel a little better. They’ve both been recently fecal tested but no blood tests so I’m wanting to be safe.
For now they’re contacting calling each other like Banshees and it’s maddening! Can’t wait till they can at least see each other. Lol

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Honestly, it's pretty much a failed quarantine at this point ;)
Myself, id probably go hard and move cages I to the same room and start the getting to know each other. But wait fur out of cage together until ouchie foot feels all better

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Myself, id probably go hard and move cages I to the same room and start the getting to know each other. But wait fur out of cage together until ouchie foot feels all better
Ouchie foot made me chuckle

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I can’t wait to see how they get on

I always quarantine new bird full month and got vet checked etc
But my vet said with pip as long as he as poo tested pip which all came back fine because they are from same breeder fetched up in same environment to not quarantine for 30days I was so nervous and still not sure if that was right advice but I went with it

how long was new baby at rescue what more tests are left to run if rescue already did poo test etc and your not wanting a blood test ?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
How longs left of quarantine?

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat

But my vet said with pip as long as he as poo tested pip which all came back fine because they are from same breeder fetched up in same environment to not quarantine for 30days I was so nervous and still not sure if that was right advice but I went with it

how long was new baby at rescue what more tests are left to run if rescue already did poo test etc and your not wanting a blood test ?
My vet (#3) recommended 60 days, even with polyoma virus test and our basic gram stain, but I went to 30 when all the tests came back clear. Margo was from a rescue, though. It's an imperfect risk assessment for all of us, as we can't provide a true "quarantine" outside a clinical environment. It's just risk reduction.

I think if you at all suspect bacterial or yeast infections it's worth still finishing the quarantine, personally, as those are spread by close contact. If you have no reason to suspect those and the tests come back looking good... eh, then it's your call!

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Dang, really?? I was doing so well. It was yesterday that the doors were left open all day and today when I scooped up Duckie and plopped him on my shoulder. I immediate was like - oops, wait! But too late I guess…

That’s interesting that you’d go full on at this point… I’ll think about your advice!

New baby was at the rescue for I believe two days before they contacted me (they knew I was looking) and then they moved him to their shop, which is a separate location where they sell parrot goods and allow day visits from certain residents of the rescue. It’s a big shop and he was kept in a separate office space with some budgies. I visited him that very same day and that’s when they said I’d have to wait till his poo test came back clean, which it did a couple days later. They let me take him home the next day.
I had taken my guy Duckie to the vet about a month previously and he had a clean poo test as well.
Im afraid to get blood tests because I know a couple people here who lost their GCCs from vet blood draws. The rescue doesn’t do blood draws on small birds if there is no suspected problem for the same reason

How longs left of quarantine?
About 2 1/2 weeks!

My vet (#3) recommended 60 days, even with polyoma virus test and our basic gram stain, but I went to 30 when all the tests came back clear. Margo was from a rescue, though. It's an imperfect risk assessment for all of us, as we can't provide a true "quarantine" outside a clinical environment. It's just risk reduction.

I think if you at all suspect bacterial or yeast infections it's worth still finishing the quarantine, personally, as those are spread by close contact. If you have no reason to suspect those and the tests come back looking good... eh, then it's your call!
I don’t suspect anything. They’ve both been very recently checked out by vets, are at a healthy weigh and had clean poo tests.
Im going to think about shortening the quarantine because of some opinions here that I already screwed it up. But I’m going to think about it!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Dang, really?? I was doing so well. It was yesterday that the doors were left open all day and today when I scooped up Duckie and plopped him on my shoulder. I immediate was like - oops, wait! But too late I guess…

That’s interesting that you’d go full on at this point… I’ll think about your advice!

New baby was at the rescue for I believe two days before they contacted me (they knew I was looking) and then they moved him to their shop, which is a separate location where they sell parrot goods and allow day visits from certain residents of the rescue. It’s a big shop and he was kept in a separate office space with some budgies. I visited him that very same day and that’s when they said I’d have to wait till his poo test came back clean, which it did a couple days later. They let me take him home the next day.
I had taken my guy Duckie to the vet about a month previously and he had a clean poo test as well.
Im afraid to get blood tests because I know a couple people here who lost their GCCs from vet blood draws. The rescue doesn’t do blood draws on small birds if there is no suspected problem for the same reason

About 2 1/2 weeks!

I don’t suspect anything. They’ve both been very recently checked out by vets, are at a healthy weigh and had clean poo tests.
Im going to think about shortening the quarantine because of some opinions here that I already screwed it up. But I’m going to think about it!
Let us know your decision?
@Mizzely did you quarantine Bosco I am guessing @April would have had him tested etc just wondering what you did

I think you have done all tests that’s available to you without the risk of blood draw

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I'm projecting my own fears/experiences, here, but I lost a bird to kidney failure that could have possibly been mitigated/slowed with an earlier blood test, all because my avian vet was unwilling to do blood draws from small birds unless they were showing overt symptoms. I trusted her on this and have since witnessed my birds having blood drawn by several different methods. I'd highly recommend calling around to find someone willing/able to do this, even if you don't want to do it right now. I've learned that personal experience matters as much/maybe more than even full avian certification, on this specific point (I will trust the emergency exotic vet who has done many blood draws on small birds over the avian vet who only sees large psittacines and is squeamish about little ones).

A baseline blood test can tell you so much-- not everything!-- but so many important indicators. I wish I hadn't been so scared of them-- blood tests contributed to saving Merlin's life, and he's a tiny budgie.

I've also researched claw clipping vs. other kinds of blood draws, and there is no solid evidence that a toe clip is an inferior/contaminated source of blood (this is hearsay you might see online), so you can ask about this less-invasive method, if that makes you more comfortable. At the end of the day, it is the vet's personal experience/skill that matters.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Let us know your decision?
@Mizzely did you quarantine Bosco I am guessing @April would have had him tested etc just wondering what you did

I think you have done all tests that’s available to you without the risk of blood draw
I did not because he was an only bird and vet tested.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Most everything bad aerosols, like avain clymadia, and the viruses , via dander, poop particles, respiration. 4 feet is not enough, then not change clothes or washing hands ..so if had anything I would consider them exposed.

You can still play it safe and keep quarantining and it will still limits if new one broke with anything.

I wouldn't let them have contact yet , but because of behavior not cooties. ( me anyway) but have cages across from each other , and start the visting, but not allowing on a cage bird because will fight through bars .

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought that would be case I thought @April and you would have been all over tests etc :heart:
I got his fecal done and took feathers to DNA test but after what happened to Zazu my vet didn't want to draw blood especially since he was intended to be an only bird with me.