• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker life expectancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
What is a realistice life expectancy for a quaker?

I always thought it was 25-30 years but recently I've been reading articles stating 15 years is more realistic. Which is it?

Yoshi came to me as a 5 year old so that means she is around 9 years old now. I was planning on +15 more years with her and it was a bit shocking to read I might be over shooting that estimate by a decade!

And how badly would her bad diet and care her first few years of life effect her potential? She was on an all seed diet and while she is now on pellets I still can't get her to eat much fresh.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would think anywhere from 15 to 30 years is still accurate.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Unfortunately a bad start to life such has being cage bound, filthy water and bad diet and on going health problems that weren't treated, and much more, can take many years off life.

I would say 25-30years sounds correct but always know Death comes at any time, he's on no timer when he comes.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
If she is much healthier now, I think it can help extend their life expectancy, but if a Quaker was on an all-seed diet for their entire life, it would probably be much less. I have read a few different ages too… 20-30 years, 25-30 years, even 30+.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I lost my first Quaker, Kiwi, @ approximately 2 years of age - not because of diet, accident or injury - she developed pneumonia and by the times she was showing signs of not being well she was too weak and didn't make it even though she was put on oxygen and antibiotics. The vet wasn't sure if it was pneumonia or what and Dr. T was afraid that if she sedated Kiwi to draw blood she wouldn't come out of it.

Love your Quaker as if every day might be your last and just keep an eagle eye out of any little signs that Yoshi is a little off. :rolleyes:

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
If she is much healthier now, I think it can help extend their life expectancy, but if a Quaker was on an all-seed diet for their entire life, it would probably be much less. I have read a few different ages too… 20-30 years, 25-30 years, even 30+.
Thanks everyone. Yeah, she is much healthier and active now. When I first got her she could barely grip my finger and could stay on my sholder if I tried to walk around. She now climbs all over me so is much stonger overall. She also has most of her feathers in and flies around. So hopefully we reversed some of that early on damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.