• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker as a second bird?

DavyG

Strolling the yard
Hi! Long story short, my Mom wants a bird and for some reasons doesn't want another conure! The conure is mine, one-year-old, on the small side, clingy and can be a jerk :)

Currently, she is interested in a Quaker or a Caique.

Is there territorial nature limited to their cage and possibly their preferred human? or will it consider the entire home its territory and threaten other pets accordingly? (we also have a few dogs)

They are legal in my state.

Also is there a good way to tell if you being taken for a ride when it comes to the cost of a bird? I paid 275 for my Pineapple Conure from a specialty pet store for example.

Also, also this is like the third thread (one in Conure Corner and one in Larikeet) I have made, please tell me if I am breaking some sort of spamming thread rule.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please explain why your conure is a jerk.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Quakers it can depend. My quaker is cage aggressive, but also "where-ever I am currently" aggressive :p My one quaker will sometimes adopt an entire room as his territory (usually around 1-2 months a year) and will dive bomb even me, the one person in the house he actually likes.

Keep your birds separate from the dogs always, regardless. Some people have had dogs for ages and then one day they accidentally or purposely attack the birds and kill them.

Caiques also tend to be bird aggressive.

DavyG

Strolling the yard
Caiques also tend to be bird aggressive.
Why are the cute ones little monsters?

My bird is never out with the dogs because the Yorkie would definitely eat it. The bird sounds like a squeaky toy.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Why are the cute ones little monsters?

My bird is never out with the dogs because the Yorkie would definitely eat it. The bird sounds like a squeaky toy.

Oh good. Some people don't know to keep them separate so I am glad you do! :)

My entire business is based on them being Lil Monsters ;)

But the reality is that birds are very much wild animals and operate on instinct. They aren't monsters, they are just doing what comes naturally to them. It is natural for them to protect their territory from other species. You have better chances of animals within the same families recognize that the other isn't a threat. Each family has it's own language so its easier to understand each other.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

ItsMyLife

Strolling the yard
My Quaker is basically evil. I carry a towel around all day every day to protect myself from him. He’s not even flighted and will follow me from room to room and jump onto me to bite. He’s like a little stalker.
He’s not just cage aggressive, he’s “whatever he’s on” aggressive. He’s food aggressive, as in if he sees you eating, he comes after you and guards your food from you (but won’t eat it himself)

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have 7 Quakers,along with 2 other birds.I am a Quaker lover,as you can see . My 7 are quite sweet,they each have their own personalities,and funny habits to.They are quite good.They do have their moments when they will do their screaming flock calls.which is usually in the morning time,when I just wake up,And mid afternoons.They seem to know the times,very well when it's playtime,and supper times.I have them on a routine ,on the nights I work, they accepted it quite well,they let me sleep 5 hours,before they flock call to me.I am lucky mine are not cage aggressive as when they are out for playtime,they have fun going in each other's cages and exploring..Most of them talk,except 1.Bailey used to,talk years ago,but when her 1st mate died,she stopped talking,but she seems to be trying to talk again..I love them very much,as they are very affectionate to me,and cuddle bugs to.At times I will 5 out of 7 sitting on me,waiting for their turn to be preened by me

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
My QP Ralph is pretty even tempered and is on the quiet side. He isn't cage aggressive, but he does object when I handle his food dish. Since I'm the only human in the house, I'm Ralph's favorite person by default. :D Almost two years ago, I adopted a CAG, and Ralph (who was already here for 6 years at that time) made no objections to having another bird around; as long as he gets his full measure of attention, he's happy. Scooter the Grey is more interested in Ralph than he is in her; I think she's fascinated to see how a parrot behaves. :)

Pineapple GCCs in my area are typically priced anywhere from $300 to $600.

DavyG

Strolling the yard
Each family has it's own language so its easier to understand each other.
What about different subsections of birds? Like a Maroon-Bellied Conure or a plain jane Green Cheek (I like the darker colors) and a Pineapple? Would they interact as Conures or do they differ more than looks?

I can't get Mackenzie to play with any of his toys. The only things he will play with is me, paper towels and old sun glasses ; /

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What about different subsections of birds? Like a Maroon-Bellied Conure or a plain jane Green Cheek (I like the darker colors) and a Pineapple? Would they interact as Conures or do they differ more than looks?

I can't get Mackenzie to play with any of his toys. The only things he will play with is me, paper towels and old sun glasses ; /

maroon belly and green cheeks are in the same family, pyrrhura