• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PVC pipe sizes

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
so - I have a little bath perch for the amazons that I bought a couple of years ago and it seems to work.

I just saw a little bird though and wondered about the different sizes of PVC pipes.

Are there standard sizes for different birds? I know MC's feet are MUCH larger than Secret's (and they are both blue front amazons). Is there a guideline for this? Like itsy birds get a certain size PVC and Macaws get this size?

Can a PVC playstand be done with different sizes of PVC pipe for those that own different size birds?

Thoughts?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Pvc pipe comes in 1/2", 3/4", 1" and on up. You can use whatever you want to make a perch.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pvc pipe comes in 1/2", 3/4", 1" and on up. You can use whatever you want to make a perch.
So what size for what birds?

Not like we can drag the birds to home depot and say "stick your little footsie out here"

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If it's just a shower perch they usually use around a 1 inch pipe. PVC is not a very good perch material because it's smooth, round and slippery but for a bath perch it's ok. The shower perches I've seen are usually (PVC) covered with rubber or something to give it texture and grip.

It's not easy for a big bird to stand on a small perch but it's very easy for a little bird to stand on a big perch.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there a certain PVC that is preferred for birds? I think one is toxic and one is not, or am I wrong?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there a certain PVC that is preferred for birds? I think one is toxic and one is not, or am I wrong?
I have some links on my laptop that I'll look up and post tomorrow that explains all the technical stuff about PVC. But the general information that I've gathered is; furniture grade PVC is completely safe, followed by CPVC which is approved for hot and cold potable water, then lastly the white PVC.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did NOT know that - will wait for Karen to post tomorrow.

I'm just mainly thinking a play stand type thing but certainly don't want to harm a birdie.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You want the kind that is used for drinking water. Schedule 40 PVC. As to which to use it's the same as all other perches... whatever your bird likes. My birds are small but prefer 3/4" to 1" perches.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You want the kind that is used for drinking water. Schedule 40 PVC. As to which to use it's the same as all other perches... whatever your bird likes. My birds are small but prefer 3/4" to 1" perches.
What kind of birds do you have?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a green cheek and a quaker

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did NOT know that - will wait for Karen to post tomorrow.

I'm just mainly thinking a play stand type thing but certainly don't want to harm a birdie.
I hate not being able to keep my word, but my research information regarding High Definition PVC, CPVC & Schedule 40 PVC may be gone. My new (3 days old) humidifier leaked, the water spilled over the table it was on, and fell onto the lower shelf where my laptop was. The laptop will not turn on. I'm hoping it just needs time to dry out.

I had done quite a bit of research into the differences between the types and their safety because I wanted to make a travel cage using PVC. I ended up making a travel cage using CPVC and want to do another one using the colored High Definition PVC.

So going off memory, basically the High Definition PVC (furniture grade) is the best. It's been deemed safe and used to make items for children. It doesn't contain dioxins, plasticizers or harmful metals.

What is Furniture Grade PVC?

CPVC (the cream colored PVC) is safe to use for hot and cold water, whereas PVC is only safe used for cold water. The CPVC doesn't degrade in the sun like PVC does and CPVC also doesn't off-gas if heated up. Heated PVC will off-gas a colorless, odorless fume which is toxic. CPVC is smaller than the PVC. CPVC goes by the outer diameter measurement whereas PVC uses the inner hollow hole size as it's measurement.

I wouldn't use the Schedule 40 white PVC to build anything that could possibly get too warm or be outside in the sun.

I also wouldn't make something out of PVC that would be chewed on; like a hanging toy or foot toy. I made a shower stand out of PVC years ago, it serves it's purpose and the birds don't chew it.