• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Putting together a parrot emergency/evac kit

jen2016

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Hi!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this and I haven't seen this talked about before. But I was curious what everyone recommends when assembling an evac kit for a parrot. From just maintaining daily care to also first-aid recommendations--when I owned Kiwi I thankfully never had an emergency occur and a kit was never made for him, but with my incoming Macaw, I just want to be absolutely safe and prepared.

Had two recent scares--one fire related, that made me reevaluate how I handle emergency situations. Everything is totally fine now, but I'm currently updating kits for myself and the cat, and now want to prepare one for my macaw. I live in a fire-prone area and also earthquake country.

Thank you! :)

jen2016

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Should add that so far I have the following things specifically for the bird:

macaw-sized carrier with perch

And a specific bug-out bag with:
3 towels
collapsible bowls for food and water
(Working on getting travel containers to store food and water)
kwik-stop
newspaper
A little collection of toys and foot toys too
versatile pocket knife with pliers if a feather needs immediate attention

I do have my own first-aid kit with a variety of items for myself and cat, but not familiar with what could be used to help with an injury on a parrot. Ideally I want to make a bird first-aid kit.

I'm also planning on adding an extra harness/leash just in case I can't get to his day-to-day one or find it in an emergency.

I'll add a picture of him with all pertinent info(band ID, etc) just in case too.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Name and address of avian vet.....