• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Purring?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
The Fids are "purring" to each other from their own cages. Not a "coo". Think cat with more throat. Starts of quietly and they get progressively louder. Wish I could record it so everyone could hear it. It sounds so sweet!

Any clue what it could mean?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Mine make a light "brrring" sound when alarmed by something.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
They are calm as cucumbers, just preening and rubbing thier beaks on thier rope perches and just started purring. Wish I could understand conure-ese. Would love to know what they say to each other.
Or maybe I don't........they could be talking about me..............:wideyed:

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
They probably are, as long as the rest of their body language is positive, then they are probably saying only good things.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Mine purrs sometimes too & so does Cahtie's. Its so cute. I purr back & some times we purr to each other.
I take it as a hi or some form of social communication

Heather F

Frodo makes little purring sounds too. :xflove:

Sam-wow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
The Fids are "purring" to each other from their own cages. Not a "coo". Think cat with more throat. Starts of quietly and they get progressively louder. Wish I could record it so everyone could hear it. It sounds so sweet!

Any clue what it could mean?
I know the sound exactly ! You described it well. Sam usually does it when he is calm but maybe unsure or wondering about something. Does that make sense ? Kinda like he is in between thoughts.
I dunno, maybe that sounds silly but that is when I can remember him doing it. His body language goes along with it as well.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Whatever it is, it was sweet as can be and as soon as i moved, focus changed and purring stopped. Will have to remember to keep the phone or camara ready to go for a few days and see if i can catch it on video.