• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Proud Cockatiel Momma

Granny

Moving in
Real Name
Ally
My new babies. I’ve had them for about a month. They were given to me and I’m glad I said yes! The previous owner housed them in a Guinea Pig cage!! I immediately bought them a real cage and lots of good food, fresh water, and of course toys lol. Any information, tips and tricks for their care would be greatly appreciated IMG_2505.jpeg

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:congrats5::starshower1::starshower:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're beautiful!

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Oh, poor babies :( They are sure lucky to have you!

Sounds like you have the basics covered already. Any specific questions? Are they friendly towards you or very shy/fearful?

It looks like the cinnamon has some feathers missing around his/her neck, but hopefully it fills in now that they are in a less stressful situation. Just try to keep an eye out to see if it is self inflicted or if it is from the other bird.

Granny

Moving in
Real Name
Ally
Thank you for your kind words. The feather loss, is in the same spot on both birds. I think it’s from stress but don’t know how they were fed and fear they may have dietary issues. They love broccoli, green grapes and wheat grass I grow for the cats lol. What is a cinnamon? I don’t know what breeds they are

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for your kind words. The feather loss, is in the same spot on both birds. I think it’s from stress but don’t know how they were fed and fear they may have dietary issues. They love broccoli, green grapes and wheat grass I grow for the cats lol. What is a cinnamon? I don’t know what breeds they are
Oh, sorry for the confusion! Cockatiels have a lot of color and pattern variations. Cinnamon is when parts on the bird that are normally dark gray are a lighter shade and often look to have a brown undertone. Some birds have less gray than normal in a random pattern. Those birds are called "pied", which is the pattern the bird on the right has! A bird can have a combination of multiple pattern or color genes.

It's awesome you got them on some fresh foods ( I assume in addition to seeds/pellets?). You might want to be careful with grapes. They aren't directly toxic, but many people worry about the possibility of fungal spores on the grapes.