• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

protective macaw, please help!!

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I don't have a Macaw but went through Mango attacking me to leave if anyone came in He loves company but im his mate and chases me out yes I realy would get attacked if I didn't leave my grandson came to live with me hes 32 and if he was home I couldn't come in the apt he was all over my grandson so it came down when we were both home Mango had to stay in his cage but I made sure he was always in the same room as us Mango was free all other times but say on a Saturday if we were both home Mango was gaged . My grandson would feed Mango give him treats this happened 3 times then one night I came home forgot Mango was out and walked in to my apt Mango was on his net looking but never moved I decided id see what would happen ,nothing did he relised it was ok it has worked great now I am not afraid to have company
also remember when you set up a play area its his don't demand him to come out of it ask him when hes in your area take him back what I have always done is if hes in his area I ask him do you want to come if he dosent I walk away come back ask again most times he comes now if hes in my area I just walk up and say come on lets go and take him this way they learn and respect Mango has never destroyed a thing in my apt not even when I had 300 dolls he could have destroyed all but never touched one he dosent like me or anyone touching his toys,,lol but dosent touch nothing in the apt
Ok I lied he will destroy my schooter and wheelchair if I don't cover them cause they take me out away from home and he hates me going out,,lol

you have had great advice on here hope you find one that works remember what works for one may not work for the other it is up to you to find what works the easy way but one your bird will be happy with cause he has to be happy

good luck and glad to have you join us here on AA

Leah Giambra

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
Yes, Charlie's beak looks quite a bit overgrown. It may take a couple of trimmings to get it back down where it should be.

Congrats on Charlie and thanks for giving this used bird a great home.
Yes his beak is very long, we are taking him vets tomorrow so I'm hoping everything checks out well!!

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
Oh WOW!! I love that! Way better than the pvc I was GOING to use!!! Thanks a bunch! And Charlie defiantly has it pretty good! We love him alot!!

We adopted our GW, Ari, this past August and are going through the same thing you are. Folks here have been very helpful. We have implemented the suggestions and we are noticing better behavior, already. You have to be consistent and have lots of patience - as does your husband.

Have fun and enjoy Charlie! ;)

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
I think the only reason nobody else brought it up,This because it doesn't seem to be what's happening here predominantly; but there is another explanation for A lunging Macaw.

My Kumiko is An eight-year-old DNA Sexed female calico macaw.She's in the avatar talking to the cell phone's speakerphone to your left...A.k.a. her favorite toy.

Getting back to it away saying Though, Kumiko pulled this stunt my friend Jackie the first time she met her. It's a very macaw specific behavior.

What they do is Lunge like they're going to bite you,And stop short. If you flinch, they Write you off As unworthy of them (for lack of a better way to put it).

Jackie is a multi-bird Owner of a mixed flock including just about everythingFrom two squirrels(one severely brain-damaged medically), three or four parrots, a blind and deaf cat named Helen Keller(latest household Addition thanks to her roommate),yet another cat,The glorious ONE EYED PEEP which is a dove that was born with only one eye, and I can go on about the menagerie she lives with, but my point meeting is that this woman is unflappable-- so Kumiko think she's Awesome..... Because she passed the fakeout lunge test.

This isn't to say that sometimes Lunging doesn't mean Lunging.

I'm merely saying that macaws are way more complicated Then your everyday parrot(good thing :), with some specific behaviors that are specific to macaws and Some subspecies and hybrids have specific Behaviors to them only, that don't apply to other types of macaws.

Specific to your species of macaw is the ringleader phenomenon: put a group of macaws in the room of various subtypes, and chances are the blue and gold is the ringleader of whatever prank is currently being pulled. I've seen it more than once and it's absolutely adorable as long as you're not the one Falling victim to it ;-)

They also have a wicked slapstick sense of humor in many cases. Let me know when you discover "beak banging". When you do, remember Arnica Is your friend Until the bruising goes away :)