• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

protective macaw, please help!!

Leah Giambra

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
Hello, I have a bit of a problem.... I just adopted a 5 year old blue and gold macaw about a month ago, he excepted everyone at first but now that he is really bonded with me he will lunge at my husband if he tries coming too close:( My husband can hold him and pet him if I'm not around but put me into the mix he's a totally different bird!! I spend on average 9 hours a day with "Charlie" working and playing with him because he was with someone else prior me and I don't want him to be sad.. do you guys think maybe I'm spending too much time with him? Please help I want him to love my husband too:)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Leah,

First of all, congratulations on your good relationship with Charlie. It sounds like he really loves you! And, I don't think it matters much whether you spend a lot of time with him--what you're describing is a natural, instinctive behavior that would emerge in many different family scenarios. It is very common for a macaw to choose one special someone in a family and remain loyal to that person and try to drive off "interlopers." This is natural, instinctive behavior in a species that would choose a companion for life in nature.
Here are some suggestions:
1) Have your husband be the only person who offers Charlie his absolute favorite treats.
2) Try to minimize displays of affection with your spouse in front of Charlie so that he doesn't feel he's losing his position as your "special someone."
3) Consider having your husband work with Charlie on target training with a clicker. Some people have been able to ease one-person behaviors with this. But, it takes commitment, and many spouses don't want to put in the effort for the small reward. Still, though, it does work in many cases.
4) Set up reasonable expectations for Charlie----HE is doing what he's supposed to do--what Mother Nature designed him to do. He's chosen a significant other, and he's being loyal and protective of her. What a stud! :heart: When you consider that, you may realize that you are the one who is expecting him to be something other than what he is. Whatever you decide to do, try to work with, and appreciate, his natural instincts rather than seeing them as a problem.

5) Read the stickies on Behavior Byway on this topic, especially this article: Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine
Best of luck. I think your boy sounds just wonderful :hug8:

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I agree with Holiday. He is behaving quite naturally. I would have your husband spend time with Charlie when you aren't around. Either clicker training, or just hanging out doing 'guy' stuff may help them form their own bond. My GW is iimpossible with my husband, but the B&G and Harlequin prefer me and still maintain a pretty good relationship with hubby. At certain times, the B&G gets a little tricky for Jim to handle, so Jim backs off at that point. My GW and B&G are both very nesty right now, so it also may be a timing thing. Charlie may mellow out a bit in a few weeks.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I really wish you luck with this as I can fully understand what you are currently going through. I had a Blue and Gold that I still dearly miss but we ended up having to place him in a new home that was more familiar with macaws and set up to handle the problem better than us. Heartbreaking and I still feel guilty over it, but it came down to my husband's safety.

Listen to what Holiday says - the things she says can and do help in many cases.

Leah Giambra

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
Hi Leah,

First of all, congratulations on your good relationship with Charlie. It sounds like he really loves you! And, I don't think it matters much whether you spend a lot of time with him--what you're describing is a natural, instinctive behavior that would emerge in many different family scenarios. It is very common for a macaw to choose one special someone in a family and remain loyal to that person and try to drive off "interlopers." This is natural, instinctive behavior in a species that would choose a companion for life in nature.
Here are some suggestions:
1) Have your husband be the only person who offers Charlie his absolute favorite treats.
2) Try to minimize displays of affection with your spouse in front of Charlie so that he doesn't feel he's losing his position as your "special someone."
3) Consider having your husband work with Charlie on target training with a clicker. Some people have been able to ease one-person behaviors with this. But, it takes commitment, and many spouses don't want to put in the effort for the small reward. Still, though, it does work in many cases.
4) Set up reasonable expectations for Charlie----HE is doing what he's supposed to do--what Mother Nature designed him to do. He's chosen a significant other, and he's being loyal and protective of her. What a stud! :heart: When you consider that, you may realize that you are the one who is expecting him to be something other than what he is. Whatever you decide to do, try to work with, and appreciate, his natural instincts rather than seeing them as a problem.

5) Read the stickies on Behavior Byway on this topic, especially this article: Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine
Best of luck. I think your boy sounds just wonderful :hug8:
Thank you so much for your help!! Another question I have is he will NOT stay on his perch or cage, he rather run around thehouse nd get into things he shouldn't... lol any ideas on that?

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Thank you so much for your help!! Another question I have is he will NOT stay on his perch or cage, he rather run around thehouse nd get into things he shouldn't... lol any ideas on that?
Well he is just being a bird. The only thing you can do is provide more interesting things he can play with and places he can be and bird proof everything else you can.

Having a macaw is like having a 3 year old with a tool of destruction permanently attached.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a training issue. You'll need to train him to station. This takes time and a lot of effort via positive reinforcement training, but it can be done. I can give you a thumbnail sketch of what's involved, but I'd recommend looking at the training forum for more in-depth info. I'd also recommend a good training book like Barbara Heidenreich's The Parrot Problem-Solver.

Basically, first, you need to establish a good play area, and not just a perch. Wanting a macaw to stay on a boring perch is like expecting a three-year old to stay in a chair all day. Not gonna happen! :D So, setting up a play area is a great way to have him stay in a space that is actually set up to meet his needs. Mine has a flyer (suspended play gym), a climbing net, a manzanita stand, toys, and a large swing. After you have his play gym or area set up, you simply reward him for staying in it and playing. The more he's there, the more you praise and reward him. It takes time for them to get in the habit of staying in their area, but they'll get accustomed to it and only need the occasional foray elsewhere :)

Btw, your guys are both very handsome!

Leah Giambra

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
That's a training issue. You'll need to train him to station. This takes time and a lot of effort via positive reinforcement training, but it can be done. I can give you a thumbnail sketch of what's involved, but I'd recommend looking at the training forum for more in-depth info. I'd also recommend a good training book like Barbara Heidenreich's The Parrot Problem-Solver.

Basically, first, you need to establish a good play area, and not just a perch. Wanting a macaw to stay on a boring perch is like expecting a three-year old to stay in a chair all day. Not gonna happen! :D So, setting up a play area is a great way to have him stay in a space that is actually set up to meet his needs. Mine has a flyer (suspended play gym), a climbing net, a manzanita stand, toys, and a large swing. After you have his play gym or area set up, you simply reward him for staying in it and playing. The more he's there, the more you praise and reward him. It takes time for them to get in the habit of staying in their area, but they'll get accustomed to it and only need the occasional foray elsewhere :)

Btw, your guys are both very handsome!
Thanks again so much!! We are going be building a pvc play area very soon! He is just so full of it! So funny and talkative!! He has a vet apt tomorrow morning just because I'm not sure what his background was like so I want to make sure everything checks out:) thanks for all your help!! :D

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Hi Leah,
4) Set up reasonable expectations for Charlie----HE is doing what he's supposed to do--what Mother Nature designed him to do. He's chosen a significant other, and he's being loyal and protective of her. What a stud!
Basically, first, you need to establish a good play area, and not just a perch. Wanting a macaw to stay on a boring perch is like expecting a three-year old to stay in a chair all day. Not gonna happen!
Holiday, you are really hitting it out of the park today and making me say "I wish I could put things so well" Amen!!! :highfive:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks again so much!! We are going be building a pvc play area very soon! He is just so full of it! So funny and talkative!! He has a vet apt tomorrow morning just because I'm not sure what his background was like so I want to make sure everything checks out:) thanks for all your help!! :D
You are most welcome :hug8: I'm delighted that Charlie has found such a wonderful and understanding family. He's a lucky macaw. So many others are not so lucky...

By the way, if you are interested, here's my set up for my blue and gold. It works very well. I can usually even leave her in it and go to the grocery store without ever worrying that she'll climb down. She has, once or twice (oops!) but that's pretty good when you consider the years I've had her :)

Elvis's play area.jpg

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I'm considering Gorilla Glue right about now. ;) Chico wants to make a nest in the bathroom trash can, and Rocky has chosen the cabinet under the sink. They are off down the hall to the bathroom the MINUTE I turn my back. I have two rolling gyms and swings. We just refreshed the old play gyms with brand new birch perches, and both of them are enjoying chewing up the new wood. It's not as appealing as the bathroom, though. :banghead:

Leah Giambra

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
You are most welcome :hug8: I'm delighted that Charlie has found such a wonderful and understanding family. He's a lucky macaw. So many others are not so lucky...

By the way, if you are interested, here's my set up for my blue and gold. It works very well. I can usually even leave her in it and go to the grocery store without ever worrying that she'll climb down. She has, once or twice (oops!) but that's pretty good when you consider the years I've had her :)

View attachment 165231
Oh WOW!! I love that! Way better than the pvc I was GOING to use!!! Thanks a bunch! And Charlie defiantly has it pretty good! We love him alot!!

Leah Giambra

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
I'm considering Gorilla Glue right about now. ;) Chico wants to make a nest in the bathroom trash can, and Rocky has chosen the cabinet under the sink. They are off down the hall to the bathroom the MINUTE I turn my back. I have two rolling gyms and swings. We just refreshed the old play gyms with brand new birch perches, and both of them are enjoying chewing up the new wood. It's not as appealing as the bathroom, though. :banghead:
Haha I know the feeling, Charlie loves under the bathroom sink and kitchen sink! He also climbs the entire flight of stairs to get to bedroom now! He is out of control hahahahaa I love him just the same though:)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I haven't much to add, Holiday hit it all! I agree with everything she's said.

I also advise your hubby to try and work on a relationship with Charlie. While he may never be his favorite, it's in your best interest to get them to be friends, or at least tolerant room mates.
You don't want your hubby to become the 'enemy'.

So, especially while your not with them, have him try and make friends. Bribery works wonderfully with macaws. Find something Charlie really enjoys (singing?) and see if hubby can be the one to have that fun time with him. As said above, keep shows of affection away from charlie. Macaws get very upset when someone's moving in on their love. They'll even bite the one they love! when trying to get them to move away from the interloper.

I have am Amazon that loves my daughter to death. When my girls aren't about, he and I are great friends. When my daughters come to visit though.....I become chopped liver. :rolleyes: You may find that is what happens with your hubby and Charlie. They may be friends when you're not around, but when you're in the picture, hubby better mind his Ps and Qs. :p

Isn't it amazing what we do for our birds? :roflmao:

As for not staying put....welcome to the club. Macaws are busy bodies, always wanting to be into something. As Holiday said, make his play area more fun than the couch, TV, and entertainment center. He'll be more likely to stay where there's lots to do.

Repetition also...keep taking him back to where you want him. If he is staying put...reward him! My Goffin took a little while to learn to stay on her play area. It was constant running her down and returning her to her stand. Whether it was age and maturity, or my 'awesome training', she now pretty much stays where I ask her to. My macaw on the other hand, he usually just roams the house when he's out. He's not as destructive as my Too though, and I can trust him much more.

It sounds like you're off to a good start. Your bird sounds lovely, and It's wonderful to hear he's also well loved.

Have fun...macaws make life a wild ride full of thrills and adventure. I wouldn't be without one. :heart:

Leah Giambra

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
I haven't much to add, Holiday hit it all! I agree with everything she's said.

I also advise your hubby to try and work on a relationship with Charlie. While he may never be his favorite, it's in your best interest to get them to be friends, or at least tolerant room mates.
You don't want your hubby to become the 'enemy'.

So, especially while your not with them, have him try and make friends. Bribery works wonderfully with macaws. Find something Charlie really enjoys (singing?) and see if hubby can be the one to have that fun time with him. As said above, keep shows of affection away from charlie. Macaws get very upset when someone's moving in on their love. They'll even bite the one they love! when trying to get them to move away from the interloper.

I have am Amazon that loves my daughter to death. When my girls aren't about, he and I are great friends. When my daughters come to visit though.....I become chopped liver. :rolleyes: You may find that is what happens with your hubby and Charlie. They may be friends when you're not around, but when you're in the picture, hubby better mind his Ps and Qs. :p

Isn't it amazing what we do for our birds? :roflmao:

As for not staying put....welcome to the club. Macaws are busy bodies, always wanting to be into something. As Holiday said, make his play area more fun than the couch, TV, and entertainment center. He'll be more likely to stay where there's lots to do.

Repetition also...keep taking him back to where you want him. If he is staying put...reward him! My Goffin took a little while to learn to stay on her play area. It was constant running her down and returning her to her stand. Whether it was age and maturity, or my 'awesome training', she now pretty much stays where I ask her to. My macaw on the other hand, he usually just roams the house when he's out. He's not as destructive as my Too though, and I can trust him much more.

It sounds like you're off to a good start. Your bird sounds lovely, and It's wonderful to hear he's also well loved.

Have fun...macaws make life a wild ride full of thrills and adventure. I wouldn't be without one. :heart:
Thank you much for all your advice:) I just posted a couple of videos of Charlie on you tube if you'd like see him chatting away:) "charlie the talking macaw" and "playtime with my macaw" love input from everyone:)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, Charlie's beak looks quite a bit overgrown. It may take a couple of trimmings to get it back down where it should be.

Congrats on Charlie and thanks for giving this used bird a great home.