• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Proper cage size for 3-4 cockatiels? Aviary ideas?

Linnebug

Moving in
Real Name
Linne
This is turned out to be such a wall of text, there's TLDR at the bottom.

I have had my two (male) cockatiels for about a year now and everything has been going swell!
They are still fairly cautious about humans and hands, but nothing compared to the fear when I first brought them home. Not hand tame, but sometimes eat seeds from my palm. :swoon:

The older one is Topi (about 11 yrs), and younger one Masa(no certainty, probably 2-3 yrs).

Lately however, I've seen some troubling behavior. I believe the younger(and more active in general) male, wants a mate.
The two have always been inseparable. Whenever they'd leave the cage, they have to be constantly near each other, otherwise they'll scream at each other until the other one flies near.
Masa has been more of an affectionate guy since the very beginning, daily begging Topi for scratches. (however when Topi does preen him, Masa would out of nowhere hiss at peck at him.)

But for the past month or so, Masa has been aggressive towards Topi.
Constantly singing in his ear, bossing him around, pecking his head (which looks so painful but somehow Topi really doesn't seem to mind), and a handful of times I've caught him trying to mount Topi.
I've decided to get them partners. One or two females.
But my cage needs to be upgraded first. The one I have right now is suitable for only two.

However I'm very much on a budget, being a student and all that.
I originally was thinking of buying/building an aviary, but seems that would be awfully pricey as well.
(if I were to do it myself, my local hardware store prices would bring the overall price to about 200-300 €.)

My budget is about 200€, but since I'm not really the nifty type when it comes to this kind of handywork, I'm really not willing to bet that money on me not screwing something up.

I have 8 budgies as well, their cage is made of 2 separate cages.
The Finca melodia. (L76cm W45cm H90cm) / (29.9 x 17.7 x 35.4 in)
When assembling the cage, you can leave out one of the walls on either side, and this way create one really long cage (152mc/ 59.8 in).
I'm planning on replacing it though, after I'm done with the cockatiels'.

I was thinking I'd maybe buy another two of these for my cockatiels? maybe?
I am feeling a bit iffy about the width though, even if though I let my birds out daily...
Two of these cages would be total only 90€.
Currently giggling at the thought of getting three of these, creating a 228cm /89.7in monster of a cage. :laughing4:

TLDR:
One of my two male cockatiels has began to show signs of sexual frustration and I'm thinking of getting them female/s to hang with.
I'm on a budget (about 200€, not a super strict budget but it comes out from my menu for the month lol) and an aviary at this point is too pricey(buying one would be at least 400€, and building one would most likely go over my budget), it seems buying to separate cages and combining them would be the best option.
In my country there doesn't seem to be anyone selling them second hand either, so I really don't know what to do here.
I hate seeing my boys bickering like this. :sad3:

So what I'm wondering would be
- Would these measurements be proper for 3-4 cockatiels? (152cm x 45cm x 90cm) / (59.8 x 17.7 x 35.4 in)
- If not, do you know any other shops that sell cages that can be combined in this manner?
- Do you know any online shops in the EU that would have decent priced cages for cockatiels in general?
I am certainly more than open to the thought of buying one large cage instead, they seem to be very pricey as well.

I'm longing for any ideas in general at this point. I'd really like to be able to provide them with an aviary, but buying one would definitely bankrupt me for the following month.:sad1:

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Honestly, I think you'll be asking for more trouble, not less, if you get two females. It sounds to me like Topi and Masa are bonded to each other - especially with the singing and mounting. Same sex pairs are not at all unusual and there can be no guarantee either bird will accept another mate at this point.

Frankly, I personally don't like caging birds together at all, but it can be especially problematic housing multiple pairs in the same cage. So if you really want two pairs then I would suggest two separate cages, or at least one with a divider - unless you do decide to spring for a true aviary.

Regardless, getting a bigger cage is definitely a good idea as it can give the boys more space from each other if they need it. My recommendation would be to get the large cage and just monitor them for a while before you decide to bring home more birds.

Linnebug

Moving in
Real Name
Linne
I've heard that cockatiels can form same-sex bonds, but wasn't too sure since they seem to be kind of ''hot and cold'' so to say. One moment all cuddly and the next they may be bickering, but that might just be a personality thing. I'm probably gonna go for the aviary, it's been so long on my to-do list and a larger cage is gonna postpone getting an aviary only for so long.
Just gotta find an inexpensive way to go for it.
Thank you for the advice! :swoon:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you build, you need to make sure that the wire is bird safe.... around where I live, you can't easily get bird safe wire from a hardware store...

I don't know what's available, cage wise, where you are at, but I once had a double flight cage. Was a nice cage for the most part!

6421 Platinum - 64"x21"x65" Double Flight Cage with Divider