• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

problem with old budgies

keerthu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
keerthu
Hi guys, ive came here because i have a problem, i recently bought one new budgie(male). I put them in the cage with the other other two (female) after quarantine and keeping cages nearby one was talking to him and the other is younger so she din't tak..now i introduced new budgie to the old cage my original two arent taking on to the new one.. they sometime fight while eating..!! the new one is scared and sits on the preach and not eating...is it normal?? or should those female be separated?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Yes, keep them separated...Let him have his own cage please. What you have done is what I call the odd mad out syndrome. Budgies normally do well in pairs..you have three. Also I am surprised the two females are getting along...keep an eye on that..normally females fight when hormonal.

keerthu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
keerthu
yah they already fought for many times...now what i did was i separated the females like one with male and other is alone...is this correct?? now can i get another male for the female budgie who is alone?

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
First of all welcome to AA :D

As for your questions there is no sure fire way to know if you could get a second male to put in with the female and that it will work out in the end. Just because you have a boy and a girl doesn't mean they will get along. You may have to have a back up plan, which could mean you have to have them completely separated. Birds can easily kill each other and you can't just shove two in together and hope all will be okay. If there is any fighting they should be separated. It took me months to be able to house my two lovebirds together and even then it was still iffy as to if they could stay together. Start out just letting the birds hang out out of the cages together and let them get to know each other that way. What I did with the lovebirds was let them have out of cage time together and as they got closer and closer I started giving them treat bowls and millet to share and then eventually I'd have them share a cage for an hour or so and just slowly increased the time they were together until they were together overnight. Something that helped as well is I kept two sets of bowls in the cage and plenty of goodies in there to keep them busy.

When I was younger I had parakeets (I was in middle school or so and knew NOTHING about birds) well I had a male and a female together for a while. My male died and a few days later my parents bought me a new male. Well the female killed him about a week later....

Moral of the story is just take things slow, slow and steady wins the race!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Keep the females (old birds) away from the male (new bird). Keep them separated and if possible, allow them out of the cage during supervised times.

If they get along together while out of the cage, then you could try keeping them together in a large cage. However, you will need a minimum of 3-4 food dishes to make sure that everyone is able to eat. The hens could very well gang up on the male and prevent him from eating, if not outright hurt him if he's young.

keerthu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
keerthu
Keep the females (old birds) away from the male (new bird). Keep them separated and if possible, allow them out of the cage during supervised times.

If they get along together while out of the cage, then you could try keeping them together in a large cage. However, you will need a minimum of 3-4 food dishes to make sure that everyone is able to eat. The hens could very well gang up on the male and prevent him from eating, if not outright hurt him if he's young.
they get along but that female budgie attacks the other female when she gets near him

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
and that is why you were told to put them in separate cages...that other female budgie will harm or even kill that other female, given the chance.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds to me like you should have 3 cages for safety.

keerthu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
keerthu
yah i now they are separated only ...a male and a female and other female alone