• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Problem with baby lovebird

Maljarudi

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

I am new to raising birds. this bird that I'm going to talk about is my second one.
My first on unfortunately died in an accident while playing it when it was anout 2 months old.
Now I have baby rosy faced albino lovebird (it's 23 days old).
I handfeed my first one, I took it when it was about 3 weeks old or a bit older, I place it on one and just put the syringe near its peak and it will eat.
now this won't do that I have genlty hold it's hwad from the back for it to properly eat otherwise it won't now thats not the problem. I had it for a week now, three days ago I ran out for out of the formula and I only noticed that at night when I went to prepare it meal so I made cerelac from crushed cherrios and water just for that one meal unitl I buy some. After that day it wont eat properly. When I come to get it to eat it get very excited and jumps around for me to take it and feed it. after feeding it 2ml it won't open it's mouth for the rest I have to open it myself and place the syringe there for it to eat. Also it moves alot while eating so it gets dirty form the food. I'm not sure how to clean it.

Another thing that it does it seems to always squeak even while eating.

I am also concerned about it's size (I'll upload a photo) I see in the internet pictures of 23 day old lovebird and mines seems to be samller and less feathered.

With all this trouble I am having with it when I palce my hand near it, it will come to me and climb on my hand.

Attachments

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I am not a breeder, but my suggestion would be a vet visit. And to maybe not try and raise anymore babies!! At least find a breeder to mentor you and maybe get experience before attempting on your own again since it seems your first one did not end well and this guy isn't eating properly.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Please don't breed anymore.

Maljarudi

Checking out the neighborhood
First of all the first died not because I raised poorly, it died in an accident it was starting to fly so even if I hadn't raised that could have happened. I was weaned and eating on its own.

second thing who said I was breeding or attempting to breed for to come a suggest to me not to breed. If you don't have anytging useful to say don't say any thing.

and lastly I don't use cerelac, I use a formula intended for birds that I get from the pet store. I only used the cherrios once because I was afraid it would strave before I was able to buy the formula.
Please read carefully what I have said before aayong anything.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I know you don't breed but you are trying to raise baby birds with no experience. I would advice against that. It has also been schoenen by research that taking a baby from his patents is not beneficial to the bird and could give him a lot of mental and behavioral problemos in the future. Besides it is very possible he doesn't even know he/she is a bird and doesn't know his own language. I would advice to get a weaned baby that was raised in a flock and then time him with trust building, positive interactions, no force and lots of patience.
Now you already have this lovie. I would say please take him to an avian vet. There are so Many things that could be wrong, only a vet can rule out the other possibilities for sure. We can't see the birds and are no vets, so our advice Will never be As good as the advice of an avian vet. I hope you baby survives.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I never once said you were breeding. I said you shouldn't raise a bird on your own without experience. If you insist on raising a bird find a mentor who can teach you how to do it properly. Or for gods sake just don't do it.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
How is he doing? Did he eat okay?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope your bird is doing better. If there are issues and concerns can you contact the breeder or take the little one to a vet?

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
So many issues can arise with the crop especially when a bird is only on formula then switches to something else even if only for one meal if they weren’t ready yet. Definitely need to see a vet to rule out some of those issues.
And I don’t think people are trying to be antagonistic at all, it’s just frustrating because something like running out of formula shouldn’t happen.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When my babies jumped around, I stood them on a small perch and only offered the food when they stood on it. They learn fast to stay on the perch and be still.

Only feed as much as the baby wants. When it stops begging, you can't force more food into it because it might breathe in (aspirate) the food. I suspect this has already happened since it is squeaking. If so it will die. In the future, only feed while the baby is begging. That's when he has the lungs blocked off so food will not go in them. The bird will take in the right amount of food; even f you or I think he should eat more, his body tells him when it is time to stop.

You can clean off the food with water on a soft cloth. Clean it right away because when it dries you can't get it off!