1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Princess parrots as pets???

Discussion in 'Aussie Grass Parrots Lane' started by galah!, 4/30/17.

1. galah!

galah! Walking the driveway

Pia
    I am currently looking at birds that might make a wonderful pet (as in cuddly and gentle natured) I have narrowed it down to Galahs, Kakarikis and Princess Parrots. could you recommend their pros and cons? didn't know where else to post this kind of Question.
    Thanks Guys :)

2. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    They have not been on in a few years, but you could look at @Stevo and @~birdybea~ 's threads as they have/had a princess parakeet.

3. Faolan

Faolan Rollerblading along the road Vendor

Nohea
    I'm pretty curious too. I met two Princess Parrots at a walk-in aviary at our zoo briefly- they flew off before I could really interact with them.

4. galah!

Pia
    bump;)

5. javi

javi Sprinting down the street Avenue Veteran

JAVI
    I have friends that used to breed the Princess parakeet and they could not say enough good things about them. I was not looking to get one and they were not trying to sell them to me. They just said they were fun birds that stayed tame and were better than rosellas. I have met several older ones and I have to say that I love the noise. Not sure quite how to describe other than a soft sing song voice. Of the three you listed, the galah seems to me to be the most affectionate. Also the loudest, messiest and expensive.

galah! likes this.
  6. galah!

Pia
    Thanks Javi!:)
    that's great advice on Galahs and i'll have to second that, are princess parrots cuddly to some level? could you expand on Princess Parrots as pets? ;)

7. javi

javi Sprinting down the street Avenue Veteran

JAVI
    I wish I did have some first hand experience with pet ones. All I know is that my friend loved them.

8. galah!

Pia
    thanks anyway, i'm thinking Kakariki or Princess parrot, ALL info guys hit me with your best shot!:roflmao:

9. galah!

Pia
    anything???:sad4:

10. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    I am not aware of any current members that own princess parakeets.

11. galah!

Pia
    yeah, i guessed as much:wacky:, it seems the same with Kakarikis too (they're from New Zealand)

12. LunaLovebird

LunaLovebird Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Shutterbugs' Best

I think they are similar to Bourkes? @Just-passn-thru has a couple of those I believe. My understanding is that they are not generally inclined towards human interaction, but are quite placid and sweet natured. You would want to get a pair if you wanted to go down this route.

Kakarikis are beautiful. Very zippy little guys, so they need a good amount of out time and a big cage with plenty of room to flap about. An aviary would be ideal. Like the princess parrot, I don't think that they tend towards being hands on birds, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't make good pets. I've toyed with the idea of getting some myself.

13. galah!

Pia
    thanks Lunalovebird!
    i met a kakariki in my local Pet City that was very sweet, he jumped all over me, a little scared of hands, as you said but a real sweety:xflove:.

14. LunaLovebird

LunaLovebird Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Shutterbugs' Best

I've always thought they had very kind little faces. :)

15. galah!

Pia
    i'll second that!!!:heart:

16. Just-passn-thru

Just-passn-thru Rollerblading along the road

Suzanne
    I have a pair of Australian red rumps, the males are colorful at maturity they get a red back,mostly sold in bonded pairs. Sweet little guys, they have a lovely song. They are a species of Grass parakeets like the Rosie Bourkes, bigger than a budgie and smaller than a Cockatiel, in between. Bourkes are passive the red rumps have a tendency to be ageressive.
    20160801_203934.jpg 20170401_094647.jpg

Last edited: 5/5/17
  17. LunaLovebird

That's right! I couldn't remember which it was.

18. Just-passn-thru

Just-passn-thru Rollerblading along the road

Suzanne
    That's ok ,no problem :fairy:

19. karen256

karen256 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

I've heard only good things about them as pets (when handfed anyway) - but they aren't cuddly birds so if that really matters, they might not be the bird for you. They have gentle, friendly personalities, but are just not very cuddly by nature. Not that they won't want to be handled and get a few scritches, but they aren't going to enjoy being petted or snuggled. On the other hand, the more snuggly species, like cockatoos, tend to be far more demanding of attention and difficult.

Just-passn-thru and galah! like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)