• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Price for baby harlequin???

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
A parrot store near me has a baby harlequin macaw (my favorite) just weaned for sale. It comes with cage, toys, and some food? What price should it cost?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not a caw expert but prices vary only for birds & then will vary more depending upon cage etc...Is the cage big/sturdy enough or else it would be a waste to buy.

Pet stores will charge more than breeders because they need to make a profit too.

Better to get familar with a breeder & there pairs so you know how they were raised but if you love that bird work it out. Still I would buy my own cage or a least choose it.

Good Luck!

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
I have my own cage, but they sell all their birds with cage, toys, and food. I am trying to haggle them down to a price without the cage...

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hmmmm don;t like that they won;t sell a bird without throwing in a crappy cage!

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
They want $2850 for a weaned bird, a cage, toys, and some food to start it off... What is a good price without the cage? Would it be better to get one fro m a breeder/broker?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Macaw prices have shot up in the last 6 months. I've seen just the bird for sale at that price.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The bird alone in Aus is usually worth more than that price. Don't they normally charge more for the harlequins over there?

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I would buy directly from a breeder so you know exactly how the baby was raised, who the parents are, etc.

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
I know a broker that can get baby harlequins in the $1400-$1800 range... Of course I would have to finish hand feeding...

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You really don;t want to finish handfeeding esp if you are not experienced...too much can go wrong. They cost so much as they do need 5 or 6 mo to wean or more or less...Not like smaller birds so that factors into the cost.

Some are saying the price is not all that unreasonable.Maybe you can sell the cage or use it as a spare outside etc...

All boils down to whether you feel a special connection with THIS bird. If not then maybe you can find a breeder but I would not try to save money by buying a non fully weaned bird///

CheckBirdbreeders for prices...
Only one under $3000... $2500 plus $200 airfare & probably carrier...so same price! rest over $3200 so $2800 is not bad but you want a healthy bird as a sick bird is an expensive heartache.

From what I;ve seen the price is not bad & you get a free cage , toys & food...

Hybrid Macaw #171860 for sale in East Stroudsburg , PA

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I know a broker that can get baby harlequins in the $1400-$1800 range... Of course I would have to finish hand feeding...

Don;t do it. They can be finicky..not eat, get crop problems, get sick & have vet bills. Pay extra & get a healthy fully weaned bird!

There was that poor macaw in whatever island. He would not eat & would throw up. Was to a few vets. No one figured it out til one day he got away & flew out near the water on an island(Jamaica or Trinidad?) & I don't think he was ever recovered. Poor bird...no where to land...hungry thirsty. I still feel sad! His name was Robert I think. :sorrow:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Robert found his way home. Handfeeding birds is difficult and has many pitfalls. You might save $ initially but end up spending more on vet costs down the road. I think the bird you've seen with cage, toys, and some food is a good deal, right now. It's also nice to be able to see the bird, how it's kept, interact with it, etc. The bottom line is, macaw's are not cheap. I paid around that just for Daff and drove 5 hours to get her.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Do you love this bird? Is it the sex you want? You could probably sell the cage if you don't want it (but it may not sell for much), but it's also nice to have an extra cage outside... As far as finishing hand-feeding, I did that with my greenwing, and while it was a little stressful, I loved it and wouldn't change a thing. BUT - I have a lot of animal experience and medical experience, and really felt up to the job. I wouldn't do it otherwise.
If you really like the bird in the store, and it likes you, it's not a bad deal. The best deal is the one that pairs you up with a bird you love...

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd avoid dealing with a broker. There are some good ones, but most are not. Plus, having to hand-feed yourself should just be an obvious no go. So many people get one to finish hand-feeding and then get on the message boards asking for help, getting a variety of responses and feeling lost and stressed as to the best course of action for the bird. And no internet expert will be standing in your kitchen beside you to see what you see. Unless you have already weaned 5 or 10 macaws by yourself and it went well, I'd avoid getting a baby that needs hand-feeding.
The bigger questions really should be, do you think the pet store bird is the one for you? Can you afford it? Is it healthy, properly weaned and health guaranteed? If yes, get the bird and don't worry about price. You could get a deal from someone else and a poorer quality bird.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
$2850 with all the bells and whistles is CRAZY cheap to me, but the cost of birds varies depending on where you live.

A baby harlequin here would be like $3500+ easy. And that's just the bird.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I think we're all dying to find out, and to see pictures, if you went for it...

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
Sadly I was too late, it has already been sold... She said macaw season is over so she won't have any more til next year... I guess patience is a virtue...

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
What a bummer! Keep your fingers crossed that one turns up next summer!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
What the pet store is asking is highway robbery. There are plenty of macaws, (yes, harlequins) who are in rescues around this country and are in need of a good home.