• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preventing bird from prolonged sitting on food/water bowls

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Hello. My bird is currently having an issue with slightly sore feet, and I don't want it to become bumblefoot, so I have wrapped his natural perches in vet wrap to give it time to heal. However, my bird seems to prefer sitting on his food bowl for prolonged amounts of time, which I think is contributing to the problem as it is a very harsh spot for the feet to be resting on, and will not promote healing. How can I stop him from sitting on the food/water bowl all day?? He has tons of other places to sit yet chooses right there. I take it out at night so he won't sleep on it, but obviously I can't remove the food and water all day. Any ideas of a possible solution? Thanks.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Do you have a perch by bowls @Pixiebeak as a good picture of hers it’s in between her bowls I haven’t got a perch in between mine but remi and pip jump on one by their door near bowls but I thinking of putting one there pip also like to eat on his flat perch by his bowl so that’s maybe another idea

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@JLcribber Makes a flat perch that has the bowls inside it.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh! This may work!
I'm not sure if he's still making things since he has a lot going on in his life but hopefully he'll have time to reply to the tag.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Amazon as them but obviously won’t be as well built as johns or any handmade ones

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Birdie sometimes does this with his arthritic feet and it stresses me terribly so when he starts doing it I actually put a perch really close to the bowl (as in so close it touches the bowl) so he can hook his toes over the edge of the bowl while still using a perch and he seems happy with this.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Can you share a picture of your set up ?
Can you share a picture of the feet ?
Is the bird getting medical treatment under the guidelines of an avian veterinarian for the feet ?

If his feet are infected and just so much , it can be why is camping by food and water resources. Pain management and antibiotics and feet wraps done by vets, and daily soaks night be needed.

I had my rescue Penny camp at food bowl , but this was because she had been starved. It took a good while for her to learn food was always going to be available. It was very sad ...the would also collect and store her poop, as a survival tactic from being without food and starving and eating her poop to stay alive. So heartbreaking. But my amazing girl did learn to trust in her new good life and was able to stop storing poop and guarding food. I miss you Penny!!