• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Precious My Crimson Bellied Conure Finally Coming Home!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He's so so so so gorgeous! Zeta' red feathers are coming in so fast, and I'm starting to see those torqoise feathers on her back! She's gonna be an adult too soon! Lol
I'm a great fan of the colors, Zeta will be a beauty of jewel tones. Ruby, Emerale & Sapphire. I hope she keeps her purr & cuddles.

His tail feathers got messed during the flight. Today is the first time I saw him preen himself. It was so cute!
I wish he'd try to take care of his tail feathers. Preening would help the frazzled split ends. :rofl:

He let me pet him once today mostly he flies away from my hand. :dancing:
He had his apple slice which he enjoys now he's beak grinding & making lil squeaky toy content sounds
:heart: :hug8: :heart:

Wondering if I should keep his name Precious as its sort of feminine> I think he may know Precious
I was fond of Phoenix & its sort of very close to the same sound

:huh:

We had a great day...just a moment ago I have been keeping the door open & Precious flew out onto the couch then on to the floor where I caught him. He was making his lil squeaky toy sounds & I held him to my chest & cuddled him & he quieted & we sat cuddled on the couch for about 10 minutes with me stroking his head & body.

My heart was racing & I was very nervous but he stayed calm until I brought him to his cage & he flew inside.

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Last edited:

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
Hm, I personally think he'll get used to whatever name you want to give him. You two are going to have a long,long life together, so you might as well call him whatever you're comfortable with! And you've gotta get those squeaky toy noises on video one day, I wanna hear! I try to get Zeta's but it's hard.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hm, I personally think he'll get used to whatever name you want to give him. You two are going to have a long,long life together, so you might as well call him whatever you're comfortable with! And you've gotta get those squeaky toy noises on video one day, I wanna hear! I try to get Zeta's but it's hard.

Yeah we just had a cuddle session/ I wasn't expecting it today but it happened!
I just learned how to take pics with my phone.
Think it can take vids too but wouldn't be able to post them. I don't know how * don't have any movie editor

It's sort of like when you squeeze those toys with squeaks in them it makes a similar sound. :rofl:
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Very adoreable.
I do have it on video. Deborah the foster got it for me but no way to post it.

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
You should be able to upload it to YouTube, and then just link it here. A bit of a hassle though.

And yay for cuddles!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You should be able to upload it to YouTube, and then just link it here. A bit of a hassle though.

And yay for cuddles!

I played it for him & he started his sounds....so cute!
:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
Oh wow, just adorable! Zeta is too energetic to hold still like that! She's more bonded to nochi at the moment then me, but she's coming around. I'm fine with a little independence though, and I expected it since she's with nochi while I'm at work all day. But I am jealous of just how cuddly Precious is! You found a really good one!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Oh wow, just adorable! Zeta is too energetic to hold still like that! She's more bonded to nochi at the moment then me, but she's coming around. I'm fine with a little independence though, and I expected it since she's with nochi while I'm at work all day. But I am jealous of just how cuddly Precious is! You found a really good one!
Zeta is still a baby who just wants to run around & play. Hopefully she will settle in & allow more cuddle sessions.

Here he is sitting on her knee after she had hime riding on her shoulder. I figured come on get this bird after a month of indecision as you're really not going to find a sweeter one & since he was an adult was more likely to keep his personality. The hard part is waiting for the trust to form.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He had carrot ,sweet potato & apple today. Got a piece of food stuck to his beak. Don't know how to get it off as he's still nervous. I fed him safflower seeds one of his favs today trying to get him used to my hands.
He's very quiet with not a sound out of him except beak grinding today.

I cover him at night & he seems to sleep upright on the cage side bars. Does not look very comfy to me.

It's only been 4 days so I am trying to go very slow but I long for a familiar interaction.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Day 5
he came out of his cage on his own late this pm & flew on the couch & I picked him up to more toy sounds.
I got to hold him against my chest while stroking his head. He has a big head & he feels so solid
Yeah, last time I held him was Thursday. Going very slow as he is afraid of my hands in his cage but he doesn't seem to fear being held

I'm still not sure if he's eating his pellets as I mix seeds in with it & he sits at his bowl waiting for more seeds which I give him in pm to make sure he ate enough. He also had some sweet potato, fresh carrot apple & tangerine...yummy. He;s a good eater

He's still by his bowl eating tangerine beak grinding but its past his bedtime already so soon I will tuck his sheet over his cage for night night

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like the name Phoenix as opposed to Precious if you decide to change his name. Precious reminds me of Gollum from Lord of the Rings. :D
Phoenix reminds me of the magnificent mythological bird who would rise from the ashes to be reborn over and over again.
I'm glad your little guy is making progress.

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
Yay for day 5! It really seems like he's starting to warm up to you! Such a precious baby! They really are incredible, aren't they? Zeta is taking on blue feathers now at tge same speed as her red belly and oh my gosh she is getting pretty!!! It's amazing to watch her transformation! I can't believe I used to think birds made boring pets, what the heck was I thinking??? They are some of the sweetest, prettiest clowns of the animal world, lol :) :geek:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I like the name Phoenix as opposed to Precious if you decide to change his name. Precious reminds me of Gollum from Lord of the Rings. :D
Phoenix reminds me of the magnificent mythological bird who would rise from the ashes to be reborn over and over again.
I'm glad your little guy is making progress.

Precious makes me think of that too.

I really like Phoenix.

Today he has been enjoying eating carrot slices held in his foot to beak. I love watching that it's so cute!

He's not eating pellets. I offered him 4 kinds & he sat & looked at it. then he started asking for something else.
Had to add seeds to the mix to get him to eat. Guess this is one thing we will have to work on as he was supposed to eat pellets & I have 2 of the recommended that he ate.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yay for day 5! It really seems like he's starting to warm up to you! Such a precious baby! They really are incredible, aren't they? Zeta is taking on blue feathers now at tge same speed as her red belly and oh my gosh she is getting pretty!!! It's amazing to watch her transformation! I can't believe I used to think birds made boring pets, what the heck was I thinking??? They are some of the sweetest, prettiest clowns of the animal world, lol :) :geek:
Great she is getting blue on her back & the red. She's growing up. She is going to be a beautiful lady. They really are stunning birds.
Iwaited a long time & splurged & got him but he sounded like the bird I was waiting for & he's quiet except when he wants food or sometimes when I go into kitchen he associates it with food already or on some way misses me.

I never was into birds as a child or really ever thought of them as true pets.
Somewhere down the line I became intriqued, did research & then I was hooked.

I even love the sound of his wings fluttering & preening feathers

Day 6

Warming up slow guess to slow for me but have to go at his pace. He's not an outgoing confident bird but not overly shy.

Cute the way he'd run to his bowl grab a slice of carrot & fly back to the perch to eat it with his foot. He did that 2 X today
I love when they eat from there hand.

Loves apple & carrot
He is still shy & runs when he thinks I'm coming into his cage.
Today got him to come back dawn from his safety bong by offering a slice of apple thru the bars & he ate it from my fingers.

Love the sounds he makes when he wants something. I think we were meant to be together

:hug8:

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
You're already making great progress with him! He'll come around soon. I think it took a week to be able to handle Zeta, about the same time for nochi. But they weren't rely comfortable with me for a while longer. Zeta still runs when I try to get her to step up, UNLESS I've got nummies for her, in which case she runs to me instead of away lol.

I hope you'll post pics and vids of him as soon as you too hVe bonded! I'm thinking of trying to train my two. I love it when birds do tricks.

:roflmao:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You're already making great progress with him! He'll come around soon. I think it took a week to be able to handle Zeta, about the same time for nochi. But they weren't rely comfortable with me for a while longer. Zeta still runs when I try to get her to step up, UNLESS I've got nummies for her, in which case she runs to me instead of away lol.
I hope you'll post pics and vids of him as soon as you too hVe bonded! I'm thinking of trying to train my two. I love it when birds do tricks.

:roflmao:
Thank heavens for yummies. They are little cunning devils when they want to be. Tricks would be good to teach. It helps in bonding with them & its cute. Right now I just want the normal bird parront interaction. Lucky he allows me to hold him & doesn't seem scared. I got to do that 3 times & its the greatest feeling. So I have to go slow,
Thanks for reminding me even babies have to get used to new situations & parronts.
I can teach him he learns fast. I just can tell he's very smart. He's got a big head & maybe a good brain in there. :rofl: Wait til I find the yummies he can't resist then we can really make some progress. :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

My only camera working is a phone camera & it takes lousy pictures. If I get a good one I'll be sure to email it to myself so I can post it.

10:30 pm& he's still not done eating. Gave him another piece of carrot. Least he's getting his vit A

:hug8:

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Precious wants to be called Phoenix. He hates the Golum stereotype associated with his name. A boy named precious.
I agree with him.
No cuddles today for me. I got to have me my fix of Phoenix's toy squeaks & snuggles.
Still trying to take it slow

He's presently fluttering his wings with displeasure that he is covered & its late 11:30pm.
He's like a spoiled child & won't go to sleep. I have to keep opening the sheet to see if he's ok.

Day 7 was cool & dark & rainy most of day. Phoenix ate well & enjoyed his daily carrot & apple slices eating them so cute held with his foot.

Mommy is tired but wants to wait til he settles down & gets comfortable before I go to sleep.

Hope everyone has a great day