• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potted plants/dirt/sand in the cage?

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I was thinking Gus might like a bit of greenery in his cage. (Something non-toxic/edible, of course).

I was thinking of a small potted plant sort of scenario, but I've never seen a photo of someone with live plants growing in a bird cage, and I'm wondering if there's some reason for that. Is it a bad idea? Is there something I'm missing? People keep live plants in aviaries, so is it just a space issue?

Another possibility is giving him a little box of sand to play in. My quail LOVE taking dirt baths in their sandboxes, but of course, quail are totally different from parrots.

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
I am following this because I will be incubating Button Quail eggs very soon and would love to give them some safe live plants! They are pretty tiny and unlikely to bother plants though, not sure how most species would do with live plants other than in an aviary setting.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
The biggest question I would have is about pestsides, fungicides, or fertilizers that may be in the dirt from the growers. Also I would be concerned with mold or fungus growing in soil. I think a bird in a big aviary might not be interested in dirt but in a small space they may get curious and pick around in the dirt.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The Aspergillus Fungus is very highly concentrated in potting soil (moist, warm and lots of nutrients). Your bird(s) could very easily get Aspergillosis from playing in or eating the dirt. Aspergillosis is highly deadly for birds.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The Aspergillus Fungus is very highly concentrated in potting soil (moist, warm and lots of nutrients). Your bird(s) could very easily get Aspergillosis from playing in or eating the dirt. Aspergillosis is highly deadly for birds.
Oh dang! That's awful! Never mind!