• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

dougk1989

Moving in
Real Name
Doug
Is microwaving things that have a microwave safe film on them potentially dangerous to birds? The plastic doesn't burn but are the fumes or whatever the plastic can potentially give off any danger? Does anyone microwave things like that around their birds?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That's actually a really good question... I hardly use my microwave so I have no idea. You mean the film on things like microwave dinners?

@Mizzely maybe?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I don't know, but now sm curious as well. My old microwave broke , and I have never replaced it

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I don’t have a microwave but I’m really curious about this.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know I have microwaved stuff like that before, but it's been a while and I never really considered this before. Might be a question for the food manufacturer

dougk1989

Moving in
Real Name
Doug
Thank you for the replies. I did some more research and all of it basically says as long as the plastic doesn't melt it's fine, but being crazy paranoid I'm not going to chance it and I'm just going to take the plastic off completely if the situation arises.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
they say it is not a good idea to use plastic in the microwave anyway. I have in the past without any serious reprocussiions as far as the birds but I never microwave plastic anymore for my safety. Even the microwave meals. I just take them out and put them in a regular glass or ceramic bowl. But that's just me.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Actually I cook the microwave bags of veggies fairly often and give Secret green beans from them (cause I'm trying to protect myself from her angry glare).

Now I'm wondering.....(paranoia, sigh)

dougk1989

Moving in
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, I agree it's probably just best to move is to a glass bowl.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I do but sometimes you have to do what’s best and if the extra step will stop you from steamed vegetables then steam them in the bag and enjoy the nutrition. We can’t all do it all. I’m retired and that’s a luxury not everyone has. So steam your veggies without guilt if you need to to spend extra time with your birds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We do not have food like that too often but when we do we simply follow the directions on the food packaging and microwave the food, I do use my microwave for a fair few things especially in the summer so as not to add more heat to the house.
Every now and then when we do buy them horrid scary frozen meals with plastic on top that you have to pierce with a knife or fork, it will be 3 or 4 of those meals that gets microwaved one after the other and we have never had an issue or smelled any fumes/melted plastic.
Any left overs that are wanted warmed in our house generally get put into plastic microwave containers (not the cheap ones as they do smell and I can't stand them) or on the plate covered in gladwrap and microwaved.

I do not believe the microwave heats the plastic- it is more the heat from the food that heats the plastic as far as I am aware.

I always have the exhaust fan on whenever anything is heated (including just water in the kettle) in the kitchen- it is just habit for me to hit the fan on then start making what I am making.