• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pot Bellied Pigs and Birds??

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Since pigs are herd animals and aren't particularly predatory, do you think they would get along with parrots?..I mean, insomuch as that they would not attack or try to eat one, and more or less coexist peacefully?

I have been intrigued by pot bellied pigs for years, probably even before I became a bird person, and have done tons of research on them in the past. Recently, we have been talking more about buying a house in the next few years, and I was bored today so I decided to do a bit of googling. I have mild-medium allergies to most cats and dogs, and the fact that they are can have an urge to go after birds makes me leery of getting a dog or cat in the future, but i am curious, since pigs aren't predators and such, if they would be a more compatible pet to have with parrots....
I would have to double check the bylaws of owning them, but there seems to be quite a few of them being rehomed on some local classifieds...I would love to give a little piggy a home down the road..... I would also probably have to cut most pork products out of our diet....I get a little squeamish when preparing chicken since having the birds.

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm sure you could have both and all live peacefully in a house together.
I know of at least two people with pot-bellied pigs and many parrots and they seem quite happy. :3

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Where did you get the idea pigs are not predatory? Pigs are omnivores, just like humans, and will eat anything they can get into their mouth. One reason why pot-bellied pigs were kept as 'pets' in Asia is that they would eat the mice, rats, bugs and other vermin that would get into the houses. They are very good rat killers. I would not trust a pet pig around my birds, just as I do not trust my cats around my birds. One reason why I have a dedicated birdroom is to keep them safe from my other pets.

Pigs do need someone who can be very domineering and will put a lot of energy into setting and maintaining limits to their behavior. Of course boars are more willful than sows, but pigs are much smarter than dogs and very manipulative when it comes to getting what they want. I do not have any personal experience with pet pigs, but one of my past BFFs had a cute sow and I remember the trials and tribulations she went through with Piggy. They are clean animals, easy to feed and you must really watch their weight and set limits on behavior or they literally will walk all over you.

Good luck if you decide to get one. Also, make sure they are real pot-bellied pigs and not some outcross with normal swine so you do not end up with a three hundred pound porker.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
I am aware that pigs are omnivorous, but I don't really think of them stalking their prey like a dog or cat would, but I don't know maybe they do, and I would not leave the birds alone unsupervised.
I have done much research on them and have come across most things you have mentioned, but I do appreciate the input.
...put a lot of energy into setting and maintaining limits to their behavior...much smarter than dogs and very manipulative when it comes to getting what they want....set limits on behavior or they literally will walk all over you
We all own parrots...so these words sound very familiar. ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Would they eat up all the stuff my birds drop? If so, I want two! :rofl:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Good luck with whatever you decide, and you must post pics!:)
Would they eat up all the stuff my birds drop? If so, I want two! :rofl:
Call one Hoover and the other Eureka!:coffeescreen:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Hammie reminds me of my friend's sow. She was all black and just 85 pounds. Insist on seeing at least the mother of the baby you are thinking of buying. Indescriminate breeding has put too many meat pig genes in the pet pig lines over the last fifteen years. I would check on line and see if you can find a potbellied registry or show in your area where the genetics are guaranteed. Too many hobby breeders don't watch their bloodlines and some so called potbellies get to be three and four hundred pounds of piggie.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
There is a breeder of micro and nano pigs here in the Houston area. The have bred down the size. The weights are 10 to 20#. I will be happy to send the information.

http://www.petiteporkers.com/

Last edited:

Sheri

Meeting neighbors
Hi. I am new here and am delighted to see the title of the thread! My situation is the opposite of Iwis: I have a potbelly and am intrigued by birds. Maybe we can learn from each other. Our pbp is a rescue who was listed as "stray female" and the shelter owner said she thought he was a neutered boy. Half right- he is a boy but definitely was not neutered.

Someone else mentioned the unscrupulous breeders. They lie to get people to buy "Minipigs" that grow to pig size. We bought one who was tiny, and one day he did not wake up. So i became obsessed with getting one from a shelter after we visited a sanctuary. Pigs are the most abused animal in the US. Dog fights are illegal, and almost any other type of animal will be protected from abuse or neglect, but not pigs.

Potbellied pigs weigh between 50-200 pounds according to our vet. We think ours weighs about 75 but he won't let us pick him up. Sheldon is a real character and I have a million stories about him, so ask away. And please tell me about your birds. If I ever do get one, it would be from a rescue organization. There are so many unwanted animals in the world.

What kind of birds does everyone have? What species would be best for a novice who also has four dogs? (The dogs and Sheldon can't be together because three of them want to eat him.) Our house is loud, my kids are teenagers, and the tv is on a lot. A screaming bird would be too much to add to the chaos, and he wouldn't need to be real cuddly but it would be nice to hear some singing.

Thanks.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Unless you are into wanting to handle the bird, go with some nice loud canary boys if singing is all you want. I caution you parrots are vocal and will match and often overtop the noise level of your house; they like to participate in what the flock (family) does. It is one reason why parrots learn to speak the language they hear their owners speaking. My second lesson is that there is no such thing as a "starter" parrot. People often get the idea to buy a hand raised budgie (parakeet) or cockatiel and then when they get used to handling the little parrots want to trade up to larger, more interactive/talking parrots. Budgies and cockatiels are true parrots and live up to 20 years. People often do not keep their "starter" birds and this is one reason there are so many in rescues. Another reason there are so many in rescues is: Third lesson about parrots is that there have been many different techniques people have adopted to cause a fundamentally undomesticated animal (parrots) to act like a pet and bond with humans against the parrots' instincts. Parrots are prey animals; most common human pets (dogs and cats) are pedators, like humans themselves. Also, despite common belief, parrots do no "imprint" on humans if raised from the egg; chickens and turkeys and ducks imprint, not parrots. So breeders of pet birds take either the eggs out of the parent bird nests and hatch them, or take the two week old babies out of the nest, and hand feed/hand raise them in isolation of other birds to cause the later fully feathered and weaned babies to bond to humans as pets. Despite this early manipulation of the parrot's mind, as the parrot grows up and later becomes sexually mature, the parrot often starts behaving like a maturing parrot would in the wild and their behavior to the human 'parent' becomes confrontational and aggressive, causing a crisis time between the parrot and the human. Many parrots are given up during this period for biting, screaming and not being an easily commanded pet; like we think of dogs, fuzzy mammals, etc. Having a pet parrot is work not just because they are messy pets, but becuase the animal is not domesticated. Parrots have not been bred as of yet to be domesticated and have the pet bias toward humans as the being in charge of all things. Parrots are independent thinkers, who use their wings to fly away from other animals of threaten them and from fellow flock members who fight with them. Flock members parrots interact with in the wild are either parents or individuals who have created a one on one relationship of trust and mutual liking. So the human has to create, first, a sense of safety and caretaking in the baby parrot, then of caring and mutual respect in the adolescent parrot, and later one of mutual respect with the mature parrot. Anyone can take a parrot and put them in a cage and keep them there; but to truely be able to interact and get mutual love from a parrot, one has to work for that privilege. It takes time and it takes a lot of work. Usually. The handraised babies give a three to six month window (depending on species) for the human campanion to establish a trusting, caring and positive emotional relationship before the hormones of adolescence appear. If that does not happen the bird can become bitey during their adolescence and within 18 months to three years (again depending on the species) they end up in a rescue.

I am NOT trying to keep you from having a parrot for a pet. I absolutely love parrots. I better, I have a lot of them of six different species. I interact with every individual parrot every day and that time in the birdroom is what keeps me sane, I think. But if you are really serious about adding a parrot to your home, think long and hard what it is you want this parrot to be like. If you just want a talking bird that will reside in a cage all day every day, then get an adult rescue bird that already talks and really wants very little from human; some parrots don't want physically handled; I have three cockatiel cocks who sing beautiful songs to the females, take treats from my hands, but are so hand shy (fear hands) they panic and bite if I try and pick them up. They are happy with their life but cannot be petted by humans. But if you want a shoulder parrot who allows you to scritch their necks, ruffle their feathers and whisper sweet nothing into their little ears and who also talk... Go to the rescues and peruse the poor birds there who have been rejected by other and see if one picks you and touches your heart. You never know who is out there waiting for you to rescue them while they rescue you.

Crap. Here I am again, writing a long winded, know it all speech. Dang. Seems like I cannot say things briefly. Three examples I'll give: My first parrot was an "albino" all white cockatiel hen named Gracie. She was hatched by her parents, then pulled from the nest at two weeks, handfed and then sold through a pet store. I got her two days after she came to the store, before she learned to be afraid of hands, and she was the perfect instant pet; wanted to be on me all the time, snuggled against my neck and we spent hours together bonding. Gracie remained a perfect pet to the day she died at age 16 years. Sunshine Senegal picked me at a bird show. I was cruising the merchants, checking out supplies, baby birds and older birds for sale. I was looking at the cost of bird food and I suddenly felt parrot feet on my back and a three month old hen Senegal Parrot crawled up over my shoulder and snuggled up against my neck. I stepped her up to look at her and she allowed me to scratch her neck and head and then ran back up my arm and snuggled against my neck again. I has amused and honored she liked me, but I did not need another bird and I handed her back to her breeder. Every time I walked past that breeder's stand, if the little Senegal was out, she scrambled over people to get to me. She did this five times; and the fifth time I could not hand her back to the breeder. Sunny picked me and I had to take her home. She is my heartbird, my parrot love. Hobbs Meyers was 'traded in' on a new baby cockatoo by his former family. He was three years old and he was traded in because he had become a terrible biter and no one could handle him in the family any more. He floated from store to store for two more years until I saw him at our local bird farm. I fell in love with Hobbs over a nine month period at the store the farm had. I began to love him during those half hour visits I would have with him every two weeks over those nine months when I picked up bird food. He was cute and loved me and I decided I had to have him as a full time pet. I bought him, took him home and had a 31 day honeymoon with him. On day 32 he started biting me if I picked up a book or sat down at the computer or watched TV; anything that took my attention away from him and him alone. The only future I could envision with him was he would have to be locked in his cage 23 out of 24 hrs a day so he wouldn't hurt my other birds and my room mate and I would only be able to have him out when I could give him that concentrated one hour of Hobbs time. I loved the imp and I was horrified at that life for him. I contacted an avian behaviorist and paid a lot of money to get a behavioral modification plan for him. It took me three years to turn Hobbs back into the loving, cuddly, funny and interactive cock I had thought I bought.

My point? What do you want your parrot to do when you get it? Decide and then go out and find your bird. I love Poicephalus parrots, cockatiels, lovebirds and budgies. None of these are great talkers but the cockatiel cocks are wonderful singers. Good luck and have fun interviewing birds until you find the one you want.

Sheri

Meeting neighbors
Hi Laurul,
i have been trying to answer you all day! Your insight is greatly appreciated. Before continuing, let me clarify that by "starter bird" I didn't mean to trade up! Any bird that would be adopted here would remain part of the family/pack/herd/flock full of life and craziness. My question had more to do with which species would be easier for a novice.

A shoulder parrot really isn't what I would look for; instead a "Charlie Brown Christmas tree" kind of bird or a pair would be ideal. I just want to have some chirps and interaction from someone who might one day want to venture out of the cage and stand on top for awhile to play. We live in Florida and there are so many birds who have outlived their owners or worse who were being hoarded.

The character traits posters are describing do sound a lot like pigs. They really aren't domesticated either as in meant to live inside. They aren't necessarily cuddly, but contrary to common belief they are clean and will not poop where they sleep. They do not usually pee there either and can hold it for about 8 hours. Pigs are like large two year olds, except that no one expects much from them behavior wise plus you don't have to pay for college. They are fun, funny, smarter than dogs, and very strong-willed.

Unfortunately "teacup" pigs are like teacup babies. Don't believe it! Minis and micros grow until they are three years old, and I have seen a sanctuary that has 120 abandoned mini pigs. Breeders will lie to sell their "product" and we fell for that once before rescuing Sheldon. Our mini from the breeder had some type of genetic defect and he just died one day. That's when I started researching and decided that I needed to save one pig from misery. So Sheldon arrived over a year ago.

Sheldon was curious and outgoing, but he was not neutered and liked to bite. After he learned who was top hog about a month later he blossomed. He still can't stay inside the house for more than a half an hour because it is like following a toddler around. Pigs need yards to dig in and just be themselves.

The two species, birds and pigs, are extremely intelligent and might get along but one would have to be very careful. Size alone would be a disadvantage for the bird, and he could also poke out the pig's eyes. I would proceed with caution.

Animals are intriguing.

kitkat44

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katlin
I just wanted to ad that there are in fact mini potbelly pigs, that can get to be only 30-40 pounds. My aunt has one and she is only 35 pounds. The key to them staying small is you cannot overfeed them. They can and will eat anything and everything and don't know when to stop eating. They will just gorge. If you keep them on a strict diet of specific mini pig food, and limit treats, or don't do them at all, then you can have a pig stay small. These pigs aren't starved either, they have been bred down. And are perfectly healthy. My aunts pig is 3 years old. And she is local so I have seen this pig several times.

kitkat44

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katlin
Also, they are pushy dominant little buggers. Make sure you really want one. They are not like a dog or cat.

Solomon_Jules

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristin
Figured I'd weigh in, since I have particular experience in this area! My boyfriend and I moved into a shared housing situation in rural Vermont recently, and are living with a nice older woman, her cat, and her pot-bellied pig Sus. Sus is about 200-300 lbs and let me tell you- people are right when they say training is essential. Sus is extremely food motivated, which is good because neither his owner nor I would be able to control him by hand if he didn't want to go somewhere. (I am only about 115 lbs!)
Sus is well-behaved, and spends about half his day in the house. He sleeps on a large PILE of dogbeds (there isn't one that'd hold him alone!) in the living room, and is fed morning and nighttime with a bowl of grain and vegetable scraps. Before EVERY meal I or Cynthia (his owner) must make him spin around once in each direction, and sit. Its his routine, and it helps to make him "work" for his food heehee.
Anyway, if you adopt a pig, be sure you know that depending on the variety, they can be huge. And people are absolutely correct- imagine the intellect of one of your pushier fids with about 200 lbs of bulk to back it up. Sus has gotten out on a few occasions and showed up at the front door to let me know that I have to go re-inforce the fence again. He also hears like a bat, and the second he knows I'm near the barn door, he's right up against it waiting to run outside. (Oh by the way, they are not slow animals like you'd think. Be prepared to CHASE!)
This all being said, he's a great pet. He's smart, a great companion, and he's clean. As far as Jules, his cage is in a bedroom on the second floor (believe me if your future pet is anywhere near as big as this one, he won't climb stairs). I do occasionally take Jules downstairs to sit on his playstand while I cook dinner, but am very careful to monitor the two animals and if Sus becomes interested in the playstand (often he does, because Jules is a messy treat-eater), I pick Jules up and put him on my shoulder. One day, Jules flew to the floor right next to Sus' head, but as I was paying careful attention I just picked him up as soon as he hit the floor. Sus didn't seem interested.
I think its about knowing *EXTREMELY WELL* the nature of both animals' personalities, and having a safe place that the bird can rest (he'll never be at rest if the pig is constantly snuffling around when he's trying to sleep, eat or relax)--physical injuries are scary, but don't forget your fid's mental health. If he's constantly being stalked by a 300 lb farm beast, he's going to be pretty stressed.
Anyway, that's my schpiel, and here's a pic of Sus, OUR potbelly:
facial.jpg posed.jpg smiling.jpg

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
Figured I'd weigh in, since I have particular experience in this area! My boyfriend and I moved into a shared housing situation in rural Vermont recently, and are living with a nice older woman, her cat, and her pot-bellied pig Sus. Sus is about 200-300 lbs and let me tell you- people are right when they say training is essential. Sus is extremely food motivated, which is good because neither his owner nor I would be able to control him by hand if he didn't want to go somewhere. (I am only about 115 lbs!)
Sus is well-behaved, and spends about half his day in the house. He sleeps on a large PILE of dogbeds (there isn't one that'd hold him alone!) in the living room, and is fed morning and nighttime with a bowl of grain and vegetable scraps. Before EVERY meal I or Cynthia (his owner) must make him spin around once in each direction, and sit. Its his routine, and it helps to make him "work" for his food heehee.
Anyway, if you adopt a pig, be sure you know that depending on the variety, they can be huge. And people are absolutely correct- imagine the intellect of one of your pushier fids with about 200 lbs of bulk to back it up. Sus has gotten out on a few occasions and showed up at the front door to let me know that I have to go re-inforce the fence again. He also hears like a bat, and the second he knows I'm near the barn door, he's right up against it waiting to run outside. (Oh by the way, they are not slow animals like you'd think. Be prepared to CHASE!)
This all being said, he's a great pet. He's smart, a great companion, and he's clean. As far as Jules, his cage is in a bedroom on the second floor (believe me if your future pet is anywhere near as big as this one, he won't climb stairs). I do occasionally take Jules downstairs to sit on his playstand while I cook dinner, but am very careful to monitor the two animals and if Sus becomes interested in the playstand (often he does, because Jules is a messy treat-eater), I pick Jules up and put him on my shoulder. One day, Jules flew to the floor right next to Sus' head, but as I was paying careful attention I just picked him up as soon as he hit the floor. Sus didn't seem interested.
I think its about knowing *EXTREMELY WELL* the nature of both animals' personalities, and having a safe place that the bird can rest (he'll never be at rest if the pig is constantly snuffling around when he's trying to sleep, eat or relax)--physical injuries are scary, but don't forget your fid's mental health. If he's constantly being stalked by a 300 lb farm beast, he's going to be pretty stressed.
Anyway, that's my schpiel, and here's a pic of Sus, OUR potbelly:
View attachment 153324 View attachment 153325 View attachment 153326

Awww well I loved reading about Sus! Sounds like he's quite the character! What a cutie! I'm curious though what's wrong with his eyes?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What a great intro about Sus! Gotta love that face! :heart:

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Right...My dogs are constantly around Arne's cage looking for food..Or licking and droppings off of the skirts...ugh..I, too want a pig..but will be waiting until we have a land and a house for it outside..Unless we happen to get a rescue that is good and enjoys indoors. We'll see when it happens.

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
I have a "micro mini pig" and he is great with my birds and actually all my other pets. He is just over a year old and has NEVER shown any aggression towards anyone or anything :) In fact, my quaker and him actually seem to have a relationship. If she is frightened by something, she will fly to him and often hide behind where he is standing. He will snort at her and touch her with his snout and then go back to eating whatever is currently in front of him.
He also will lay on the couch and let her preen him for hours :D He thinks it is the most amazing feeling in the world.
I did a lot of reasearch on pigs before Wilbur came home and I agree with a lot of the things that have been said ie: pushy (esp around food) and need to be taught the rules but Wilbur is very much a "prey" animal - he has no predatory instinct that I have seen in a year.
He is gentle with the dogs and the cats and the quaker - in fact, he will be the one to turn and run the other way if there's a dis-agreement.
Wilbur definitely does not aim to please and is not "smart" in the sense of training like one of my border collies but he is a problem solver.
He is clean and does not shed, he is hypoallergenic. He lays on the couch and watches movies with us, he loves his belly rubbed and he LOVES to be outside eating grass or cooling off in the kiddy pool. His food is cheap and he is trained to go to the bathroom outside just like the dogs. He knows his name and comes when he is called.
He comes for walks in the forest with us and takes lots of trips to Petsmart. He is shy around people he doesn't know but is very attached to his family :)
He isn't destructive and doesn't scream unless I have to pick him up in a hurry.

I think they make great pets for people who are willing to understand that they are not like dogs - far different instincts. I also think people need to be prepared that most pigs - even the micro minis will grow up to be between 60-100 lbs.
Mostly, I think they can live in peaceful harmony with other pets. Wilbur HATES other pigs but I have heard of many who live in pairs.
My vet, the lady at my local petstore and my best friend also have one each and there have been no issues with their dogs, cats, birds etc...