• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible seizure/storke

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Last night when I was sitting with Gracie she started acting a little weird. As she walked to my right shoulder she would be right up against my face the whole way. Almost as if she was using me for balance in a way. When she made it to my shoulder I talked to her and got kisses like normal. She moved a little back on my shoulder like she was going to do her business and next thing I know she start flapping. I tried to move my should to catch her because I saw she lost her footing. She went right to the floor and hubby came and scooped her up and handed her to me. She wouldn't unfold her right foot and if she perched on my hand she would slip off. I laid her on my chest and just held her for a while she went to my shoulder again and was no very responsive to me when I talk to her or get close. She usually give me beak rubs and kisses. She went back into her cage and moved very slow to her food dish and just sat there perched on the rim. I got ready for work and hubby told me she was just sitting there and didn't know who he was because she didn't try to nip him when he stuck his finger in her cage. It was a delayed reaction for her and he said she moved very slow. I checked on her when I was done getting ready and I got chirps and tails wags like nothing happened and she just started chowing down on her food.

So my question (first off yes I am taking her to the vet) does it sound like she had a stroke of a seizure?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
It might have been a seizure? I'm guessing here that like humans maybe birds can have different types of them? My CAG Merlin had 2 seizures within the first 3 months that I had her, but they were the type where the bird can't seem to move or make sounds. I'm having a brain fart about what those are called (just started coffee so maybe it will come to me).

I would take her into the vet at first opportunity and describe what happened. The vet will be able to look for an underlying cause and at the very least give you the injections to take home in case she has another one. Merlin came out of her second one right away after I gave her the injection. It was a tiny needle and went into the breast. If I can do I think anyone can as I was so nervous.

Best wishes and keep us up to date.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I want to bump this to the top so others see it.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
About three weeks before Hank died (he died of a carcinogenic thyroid tumor that had invaded his pericardiam) he started having seizures. It was easy to see when they would start because his eyes would go blank and his legs would not be controllable. I would get him an hold him as quickly as I could, not restraining him, and he seemed want that. He had one serious seizure that the after effects lasted for hours, even after I put him in the O2 right away. Scary, scary stuff. The Dr. and I soon figured out what was causing them - h e had very low blood sugar in the morning, so I would feed him immediately when he woke up and they quit. The injections that the Dr. gave you are Valium and are standard for stopping seizure in people and birds. I never had to give one to Hank, because he would come out of the seizure pretty quickly and just have the dizzy, disassociated aftermath for an hour or so.

I'd say the Gracie had a seizure, because with a stroke they don't have movement and just get stiff and still. The clenched foot is a giveaway.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Leaning toward seizure but a result of heart problems? As you know Lola has seizures when her heart can't pump enough blood during stress. I think if they go down with a stroke, it takes much longer to rebound.

:sadhug2:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Thank you all for the info. I am just waiting for the vets office to open so I can call and get her in. The more I thought about it the more I feel as you all do that she had a seizure.
My poor baby breaks my heart but I am going to do what I can for her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sunny, my tiel had a stroke, and he was temporarily immobile and completely not focusing with his eyes. When he came out of it, he couldn't move his left wing. It drooped kind of like when a person has a stroke. So, I too am thinking small seizure? I hope she's okay. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One more comment. They are very tired for a period of time right after a seizure, so rest and relaxation is the thing to give her.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about Gracie but good she is feeling better. Does sound like a seizure. Were you able to contact the vet?

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
We got home a little bit ago and she is settling down for a nap. We got in to the vet and all the sign are from a seizure. She will getting Meloxicam 2 times a day for 10 days to get any inflammation down and calm the naked chicken leg she's been showing off for the past few weeks. Just glad she is going to be okay.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hope Gracie Will be okay from now on! That was quite a scare:( Lots and lots of healing your way:hug8::heart:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope she continues to be okay! So scary, but she looks very happy now.:heart: