• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible new cage! Divider for a parrotlet? Or new budgie?

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
There's this new cage that I want because the one I have now does not provide my two budgies with enough room to exercise. This cage's dimensions are at 32" long by 21" wide by 35" high, which means that it is, in total, 60" with the stand.

It doesn't come with a divider, but I was wondering if I could either buy one or make my own somehow so that my budgies could go on the top and a new parrotlet on the bottom...or if I should not bother with the divider and get another budgie instead so that they can all have the cage with enough room to exercise and also with enough room for nice perches and toys.

Lately I've been doing research on parrotlets, as I'd love to have one, but I'm not entirely sure what would be best. Maybe I should just get another budgie so I would not have to worry about new foods, space, and behaviors (although, I would be willing to).

I do adore budgies, though. They're my favorite birds, so I definitely would not mind at all getting another one instead of a totally new, territorial bird. (I think it'd be cute to get a yellow budgie named Lemon. That way I'd have Pistachio, Blueberry, and Lemon.)

Thoughts?
:budgie::budgie9:

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You should never keep odd numbers of birds in one cage. And ideally never more than two. You're just asking for trouble.

That cage is not big enough for any "exercise". No cage really is. Exercise comes from getting out of the cage and flying around.

Nami

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicola
Budgies can be very territorial. Just as John said, it's best only to keep bonded pairs and avoid having odd numbers. Sometimes the third bird might get picked on or left out, if you already have a bonded pair I wouldn't ruin the balance.

Never rely on a cage for exercise, my budgies have a big flight cage and they never actually fly around in it. Budgies fly horizontally and that's not possible to offer in a cage with obstacles, especially as most cages are mostly vertical. Always offer them time to free fly in a bird-proof room so they get the proper exercise they need.

Last edited:

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
You should never keep odd numbers of birds in one cage. And ideally never more than two. You're just asking for trouble.

That cage is not big enough for any "exercise". No cage really is. Exercise comes from getting out of the cage and flying around.
Alright, thank you for telling me! I won't get another bird then!

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
Budgies can be very territorial. Just as John said, it's best only to keep bonded pairs and avoid having odd numbers. Sometimes the third bird might get picked on or left out, if you already have a bonded pair I wouldn't ruin the balance.

Never rely on a cage for exercise, my budgies have a big flight cage and they never actually fly around in it. Budgies fly horizontally and that's not possible to offer in a cage with obstacles, especially as most cages are mostly vertical. Always offer them time to free fly in a bird-proof room so they get the proper exercise they need.
Thank you! I really appreciate it!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Female budgies are more territorial than males, 3 males or even 2 males and a female are more likely to get along.
Budgies are super hyper and active, while that's a very nice size for a budgie cage and lets them fly a little bit, they will still appreciate having more space to fly around in, even if it's just being let out to fly for an hour or two in the evening.
Personally, I wouldn't divide the cage simply because it will be hard to get in and clean and change the paper in a cage that isn't designed to be divided. Size-wise it would be ok, I think they even sell a version of that cage which is two cages stacked, but with a pull out tray and grate between them for easy cleaning.

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
Female budgies are more territorial than males, 3 males or even 2 males and a female are more likely to get along.
Budgies are super hyper and active, while that's a very nice size for a budgie cage and lets them fly a little bit, they will still appreciate having more space to fly around in, even if it's just being let out to fly for an hour or two in the evening.
Personally, I wouldn't divide the cage simply because it will be hard to get in and clean and change the paper in a cage that isn't designed to be divided. Size-wise it would be ok, I think they even sell a version of that cage which is two cages stacked, but with a pull out tray and grate between them for easy cleaning.
Thanks! My two budgies right now are males and they love playing together, but I am a little nervous of getting a new one that they might pick on.