• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible new addition?

Gizly

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsie
Hi!

Quick background story- someone found a little parrotlet outside and gave him to me. I've had him for a few days in a small temporary cage separate from my other birds. Doing what I can to try and find the owner but there doesn't seem to be anyone looking for him... Going to keep trying to find his person but if I can't I might end up keeping the little dude.

No idea how old he is, he has no band. Doesn't know how to step up and doesn't like me trying to teach him! He nips a little bit but really likes head scratches.

He is flighted- and is verrry flighty. Would it help to do a light clip for the mean time and then let it grow out? I am going to wait a week or so before if I do, in case someone claims him. But I'd like opinions on clipping him?

Tried feeding fresh food... Not at all interested! Won't touch pellets either, he's a seed addict. He seems to be ALWAYS eating? Normal?

He hangs upside down from the roof of his cage A LOT! Normal?

If I do end up keeping him I'll probably end up getting an AE flight cage!

Main question! Do they need a buddy? He chirps quite a bit, almost seems like a contact call? From what I've read up females are the more territorial ones.. So if I eventually got another male would it work? Female would be better? Or leave alone as is? I think I would probably leave him alone.. As long as he will be okay?

Thanks for your help :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, it is normal for them to always seem to be eating. seeds are ok for a little one like that but if you can transition to pellets (sdmall size) try to do so especially if he is not interestedin frsh foods..but keep trying on the fresh foods..they also like scrambled eggs and brownr ice etc...yes, hanging upside down in the cage is normal..also nipping..they tend to be a bit n ippy. I would not clip his wings..I am totally against it..give him time to settle in..after all who knows what trauma the little guy has been through in the great outdoors..I also recommend a wellness vet check...He does not need a buddy. when he contact calls, call back to him! patience is needed here..also parottlets love toys!!

Trinity23

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather
Yes it's normal for them to hang upside down. Pickles has done it from the first day I brought him home. I swear he's part bat. Yes they eat a lot. They're little energizer birds and they have a very high metabolism. In fact, it's normal for p'lets to eat as much as 'tiels who are 3x their size. :omg:

My breeder told me that if you have p'lets it's best to start out with one and let them bond to you. You can get a buddy. But I wouldn't initially because then they'll bond to the other p'let and become very aggressive and hard to handle.

P'lets do need seed in their diet. I feed a 2/3 zupreem tropimix pellet to 1/3 seed mix and it does just fine for my little brat. Also be aware that p'lets are prone to vitamin A deficiencies. So it's recommended they get offered orange veggies several times a week. I boiled up some sweet potatoes, mashed them and used the reserved cooking water to get a mashed potato like consistency. The only time Pickles would touch it is if I warmed it up and stirred in a spoonful of peanut butter. Then he liked it. They're messy eaters so be prepared to wipe the mash off the walls.

I clip Pickles but I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment with easy access to the outside. My main reason for keeping him clipped is safety. He gets into enough trouble without having the ability to fly! :hehe:

Hope this helps.

Gizly

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsie
Thank you both for your input!

I was surprised at how much he's eating! It seems like he eats more than my conure! Trying to get him to eat some fresh foods but he's picky so far. Good to know about the vitamin A!

The reason I was wondering about getting him a friend was because of the contact calling and his lack of interest in me. The only small birds I've ever had are finches and budgies and they should be more in pairs, so I was assuming the same for parrotlets! From what I've been reading though they can be quite aggressive towards other parrotlets. So they would need to be housed in separate cages.. True? I feel like he might be lonely if he doesn't ever warm up to me. Time will tell I guess.

Is there anyway to tell their age? He doesn't have a band, not sure if there's a way to tell like with budgies.

And I will be taking him to my vet in the next few days! Just waiting to see if I'm able to find his owners first :)

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather
Pickles is a VERY picky eater. Just try out different things and go with what he goes bonkers for. I do know that Pickles will never share a cage with any other birds. He's too territorial. Maybe if he's contact calling call back to him? No idea how to tell age on them without a vet check. I've had Pickles since he was a baby so I have no experience there.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
In terms of age, can you see his iris? That becomes lighter as they age, darker would indicate a younger bird. Can you post a pic? :) Plets do tend to be very territorial, so keeping them singly shouldn't be a problem. If he was found outside he may be constantly eating because he needs to make up some body weight, poor guy!

Gizly

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsie
Attached a picture... His eyes are completely brown/black, definitely not a lighter iris. So under a year old as a guess?

He ate A LOT the first two days he was here, which you're right makes sense since he was outside! He's still a little piggy though!

Attachments

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather
What a cutie. Pickles is 3.5 years old and his eyes have never changed colour since he's been a baby.