• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible Cancer Diagnosis for Jacko....I'm gutted.

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
It has been a long while since I posted my introductory hello! from Jacko and I.

I meant to come back, I honestly did...things got in the way.

Now I am wondering if anyone can help us, because my baby girl is not even at her 18th birthday yet and she's facing a possible cancer diagnosis. The vets here in Quebec say there's nothing to be done for her if the CT scan and aspiration/lab work of the mass confirms their suspicions that she has a kidney tumor or even a cyst.

I'm just beside myself with grief and despair at the thought of losing my girl. I'm also mad as hell that this poor timneh girl has been through hell and back and now her life is being cut short.

I'm willing to fly her anywhere to any vet or call anyone if they think some vet can help her and has experience with these things. The vets here don't have the skill or knowledge and there's no options for surgery or medication or chemo or anything :(

I just don't feel like giving up and giving in and just sitting around watching her die. It is early days yet (the mass was discovered accidentally---yay for routine yearly exams) but I just feel so helpless.

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
:sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about the possible diagnosis. Is there a vet school you could contact? Can your vets consult with someone who is more knowledgeable?

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
I don't know of any vet schools in the province off hand that would have any more expertise than my local vet (and she didn't mention anyone) but will be consulting with the exotics team at the big veterinary hospital on Wednesday when she has her CT scan etc and will ask.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So sorry. Hope someone will chime in from near you.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
what about Danita's Vet in BC @Danita

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so very sorry that Jacko possibly has cancer, and I hope you can find a vet that can help you soon.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Sending positive thoughts your way.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Yes, sending positive thoughts and vibes towards you and Jacko. God Bless

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
So sorry to hear about Jacko. Dr. Janet Swayer is a wonderful vet in Ontario. She did surgery on Zane's wing, my M2. She was always very kind and knowledgeable. Here's her info thou I think it may be outdated:

Millennium City Veterinary Hospital
Dr. J. Sawyer
365-1225 Bayly Street (Bay Ridges Plaza)
905-420-9555

I've also hear good thing about The Links Road Animal & Bird Clinic thou they are so suppose to be more on the expensive side. Here's their info:

The Links Road Animal & Bird Clinic
Rick Axelson
41 The Links Rd.
416-223-1165

And here are some Avian vets in Quebec

HULL
Hopital Vétérinaire Taché
Christine Chouinard
379 Tache Boulevard
(819)777-5583

MONTREAL

Bird and Exotic Veterinary Hospital
Dr. Corina Lupu
6090 Sherbrooke W.
(514)486-5258

Hospital Veterinaire Laurier
Christian D'orangeville
267 Laurier W.
(514)277-0977

ST - HUBERT

Veterinary Hospital for Birds and Exotic Animals
Dr. Michele Pilotte
4580 Chemin Chambly
(450)443-1461

TROIS-RIVIERES

Clinique Veterinaire Des Forges
Denis Lefebvre
2151 Boul. des Forges
(819)374-8535

I got all their info from this site Avian Veterinarians

You may try calling around in Quebec first and see if anyone can help you there. The only one I've use is Dr. Swayer and I was really happy with her and the only reason I stop going to her was distance and that Zane has to have his sinus flush so often that is was get hard to get down to her (I don't drive.) Best of luck with Jacko, I truly hope you can find someone to help you. Please keep us updated if you can

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm so sorry! Is your vet a certified avian vet? Dr. Robin Roscoe is a certified AV in Ottawa (Bell's Corners - west end). Very well respected. I know people here have had their birds treated for cancer so worth talking to them.

Lynwood Animal Hospital
30 Stafford Road
Unit 107
Nepean, ON K2H 8W1
(613) 820-0443

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Lady Jane - I believe that you meant Dr. Speer in Oakley, CA. He could certainly give a recommendation for vets in Canada. It's almost impossible to get a bird into the US.

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone for the positive vibes and concern....she's being very spoiled and loved.

@Sarahmoluccan---thanks for the list; Jacko's current vet is actually one of the vets at Dr. Corina Lupu's clinic. I'll call around.

@DQTimnehs---looking at it, I believe she's actually not. Dr. Corina Lupu is of course, but she hasn't worked at the clinic in many years now and I've never seen her. Thank you so much for the recommendation of Dr. Roscoe. I can get to Ottawa. I don't know if we have any certified avian vets in Quebec.

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
Doing a bit more digging we actually have three current/active ABVP certified avian vets in Quebec---Jacko is seeing one of them Wednesday and arguably the only one accessible to me since the other two work at a teaching hospital and a zoo respectively (though I will be calling them anyway).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry to hear about Jacko. I hope you get come better news from the new vet. Keep us posted.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Doing a bit more digging we actually have three current/active ABVP certified avian vets in Quebec---Jacko is seeing one of them Wednesday and arguably the only one accessible to me since the other two work at a teaching hospital and a zoo respectively (though I will be calling them anyway).
I have a fantastic Avian Vet in BC
Just a note, make sure your vet gets second and third opinions. My vet ALWAYS does.

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
Hi folks,

PRELIMINARY RESULTS ARE GOOD!!! :dance4::dance4:

I'm shocked, but thrilled of course. She aced the pre-anesthesia exam and vet even felt her current atherosclerosis diagnosis was wrong---girl might be closer to 30 than I thought but vet cannot give me an accurate age so said 18 was as good a guess as any. Poor Jacko is a little banged up (had to be intubated and had multiple IV catheters inserted---so her throat is a bit scratchy and she's bruised) but she tolerated the anesthesia beautifully and recovered quickly.

We're not completely out of the woods yet because the vet didn't get all of the imaging reports back yet but both her and the rest of the team are without doubt that it is a kidney cyst. The good news is it is not vascular at all, easily accessed without needing to be super invasive (pretty much right under the skin) and looks like it will be a cinch to remove should it come to that (at which point vet will take a small biopsy of the kidney). Kidney tissue/size etc looks normal. So while not definitive it would be very rare to be a cyst that also accompanied some sort of tumour. Should it come to that vet felt that chemo and surgery would be effective options and easy to do.

I'm over the moon and so happy for my girl.

Side note: I really like this vet and will probably be returning here for Jacko's primary care (exam fee is unfortunately double, but worth it). Did not expect to have the office cockatoo come crashing through the door after they had wheeled Jacko into the procedure room and promptly hop onto my shoulder before velcro snuggling herself into me :lol:but hey---certainly took some of the stress and worry away while I waited (they were able to come wrangle her eventually).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:dance4::dance4::dance4: Wonderful news! :)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:fairy2: